LOW PANTS, TIGHT SHIRTS, BAD BODS!!

> Its not just highschool girls either.Last year while DH and
>I were christmas shopping every girl in their early 20's who
>checked us in had the samething happening.Their bellys were
>hanging out over their jeans.DH was grossed out.We are still
>only young ourselves.I am 26 and he is 29.But I agree, there
>are some really tiny girls in this town but I think there may
>be alot more overweight ones.

I hear you--I would not be comfortable with my own gut hanging over my clothes!
>
One the other hand....I love my thongs!:7

I have thongs, too...but no one sees them!

> Another thought.....but at the sametime isn't it great that
>these girls are so comfortable with their bodies that they
>don't care if everything is hanging out?

I've wondered about that...I would like to ask one about her comfort level. Because, honestly, visually, it ain't appealing. Sorry, but it isn't.
I'll qualify that--I wouldn't find it visually appealing on my body. :+

"Funny the boys just keep covering up more.. longer shorts - looser shirts..."

That is so true... and funny how it's going. I have always been so concious of any fat that might be visible even covered by clothing. Then see these young girls just overflowing in their clothes and I'm embarrassed for them. Then you look at the boys and their clothes could hardly be any baggier. Both styles look awful in my opinion. I sound like someone I never wanted to become.... an old person that just doesn't understand :eek:

I don't understnad the difference in the style for boys and girls. Boy's clothes have gotten bigger and baggier. Their shorts have become longer and longer. Girl's clothes are getting shorter on both ends - no, on all ends - low cut tops, short shirts, extremely low pants - and tighter and tighter. Why such extreme differences? With boys you'll never know if they have a nice butt or not. With girls there's nothing left to the imagination - it's all hanging out for everyone to see. I kind of pity them all.
BTW why aren't thongs cheaper than grannies? You're only buying 1/16th of the material?

Trish

I am thankful I DON'T have daughters, I have sons, one is 18 the other is almost 22..... so I don't have to fight with a daughter over low rise pants and short tees and shirts..... or piercings.... Rhonda

When this trend just started, I went to this store called 5-7-9, where in the days before vanity sizing, I could fit into a 5. I found these pants that had a good cut and good material and tried it on. When the saleslady asked me why I put it back on the rack, I said, "Well... It's cut so low that I saw my butt crack -- and I was standing up." She burst out laughing, and that was the end of that.

I think this is a trend that, for as long as the likes of Britney and Christina remain "hot" or "cool", will stay.

There are indeed teenagers out there who refuse to dress this way. I was at the dressing room of this store called XXme at the mall and overheard these young women exclaiming, "Oh my god, I look like a prostitute!" As I was walking out, I saw that they were tryin on this outfit in question. One young lady was covering her bosom (though nothing was showing) as I walked by. They actually didn't look bad in it.

Pinky

I agree 200%. I think they think it looks good and it turns me off. Thanks for posting something that I had inside me also. Geezz. i didn't think I was hating.

I actually started wearing the low-rise jeans myself about 2 years ago. Mostly because I have a short torso and they make it look longer. But, I never wore anything tucked into them because I didn't feel firm enough to pull that off. Now I do and I looke darned good! But...my underwear doesn't show. And I've never been one to show off my belly. I'm actually too shy about that. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around like that.

I'm very hopeful that my daughter will be a bit conservative in her dress when she's older. I won't allow her to wear trashy clothes to school, that's for sure. Of course, if she really wants to I suppose she could change when she gets there, right? But, I won't buy those clothes for her. If she wants them, she'll have to buy them herself.

At the high school where my teenage son attends, if the kids are not in dress code, they are required to go to the office and put on sweats that have the school emblem on them and wear for them for the day. :) Also, if the boys are not shaven, they will be sent to the office, provided a razor and shaving cream to shave. If they refuse to change clothes or shave, the parents are then called to pick them up or sign them out to drive themselves home, whichever the case may be.

I hope that is true. While I don't deny, it is terribly unhealthy for these adolescents to be overweight, I also hope they don't end up with self-loathing of their own bodies and fall into the dangerous trap of eating disorders & body dysmorphia.

The ones I'm really worried about, are the babies and kids that are grossly overweight. I have seen plenty when I volunteer at the children's clinic for immunizations. I was shocked to see some of these kids anywhere from 3 and up, they are very obese and some where even diabetic, non-insulin dependant. What a struggle they will have for the rest of their lives if their parents don't get educated.

Marla

Wow - that's kind of heavy-duty. I certainly don't want my daughter wearing trashy clothes to school, but I won't have a problem if she wants to pierce her body, dye her hair pink or blue, or otherwise express her individuality. Do it when your young, because once you get into the real world - you must become a sheep.

Another reason to go to school uniforms. . . . . I would be thrilled if they did that. "So - what are you wearing this morning Khaki or Navy pants??? Long sleave/short sleave and do you need a sweater with that???"

What they wear off school time is up to the parent and child and sometimes I am not sure who is wearing the pants in the family so to speak..... :+

Dawn

Hi
I went shopping for school shorts for my DD yesterday and we had 2 choices--UPS uniform shorts (what we nicknamed them) and ridiculous low waisted ultra short shorts which she refuses to wear. After 2 hours we finally found 1 pair of very acceptable, attractive shorts in the GAP. (khaki, little pockets in front and cuffs, right length) I just finished ordering 5 more online. Now, she is in amazing shape b/c she swims competitively 2 hours a day, 6 days a week but refuses to wear those low rider jeans or thongs. (12 1/2 y.o.) She fell in love w/ those underwear that I think are called boys shorts (microfiber little shorts-looking things) and I was amazed at how good they looked on her. She doesn't want her underwear to show. (yay!) I'm happy she doesn't want to dress in really skimpy clothes at her age. I think she has great self esteem from sports activity. /karen

As an aside, I've been keeping quiet about things like plucking eyebrows or shaving legs b/c I figure she'll tell me when she's ready. Well the other day she said, "Mom, I'm going to start shaving my legs next month" I thought, well I guess she is officially becoming a teen but then she said: "I want to shave them so I have a faster swim time in the junior olympics in March" I just found that hilarious (but I didn't laugh in her presence!):7

Agree... I see nothing wrong with a HS boy with facial hair..

Agree.. let them express themselves.. as long as they dont look slutty.

Yep.. you can only do it for so long.. cuz as you see in the real world.. time to be sheep!

I saw someone wearing acqua leg warmers in Manhattan last week. I had to literally stop and gawk at her. They look even worse now than they did back in their heyday!

Carole

Lisa, I've heard that roll of fat on teenagers called the "carb roll". I see that all the time. And, I'm self conscious about some post-baby flab?

I am a middle school teacher and have been reading this thread with interest as I am so sick of having to be the fashion police because some girls (and possibly their parents) make poor wardrobe choices. (And I'm not picking on the girls here. At the school where I formerly taught, boys were an issue, too, with the droopy drawer gangsta look someone else mentioned...But, interestingly, at my current school, none of the boys wear their pants like that.) Anyway, the issues with our girls are always tops that are two low-cut and/or skirts that are too short. The girl on our team who is the biggest repeat offender does NOT have the body for what she wears, so I think it's a combination of warped perceptions of our own bodies (we also have very thin girls who seriously think they're fat) and inappropriate choices. The same girl is so determined to show off her goods that, as soon as she gets around the corner, she will ball up the sweatshirt she's just had to put on to cover up. I find it sad that this is the way she feels she has to seek attention. But of course, it's not just the kids as several folks here have commented - there are plenty of adults out there wearing things they shouldn't - either because they don't have the body for it or because they might be trying for a look that's too young for them.

~Cathy :)

I think Tyra Banks calls that roll of flesh hanging over pants, a "muffin top". LOVE that term--it's so perfect.
I have an 11-1/2 year old daughter who thankfully doesn't want to reveal every square inch of her body, and boy, shopping is a pain--so many shorts have a 1/2" inseam! At least the new bermuda styles cover up more! Great thread

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.;-) :p

>I wore some under-the-navel low (not too low!) pants this
>summer, and I looked better in them than some of the 16-20
>year olds (less than half my age). I really don't want to see
>anyone's belly roll. And if I hadn't been in such good ab
>shape from P90X, I wouldn't have worn the pants myself.
>
>As a teacher, I'm really not interested in seeing anymore
>student underwear or student butt cracks when I walk around
>the room!! Some of these pants may work while standing, but
>sitting is another matter (when did the "plumber's crack" look
>become stylish? LOL!)
>
>Another fad (is it over yet?) I did not get (am I getting too
>old?) is the "pants so loose they may fall down at a moment's
>notice" look. I was in the grocery store one day, and a
>teenage boy wearing these was in front of my walking down the
>aisle. He literally had to hike up his pants every three or
>four steps because they kept falling down below his butt
>crack. When I got to the checkout, he was there with his
>mother, and I almost said something to her (but what do I
>say?).
>
>Some of this has to do with practicality:

I saw this look on a grown man and he had on matching underwear (he was older) and I thought, you've got to be kidding. He too, had to keep hiking his up, but he'd let them fall below his bum before he did so. I asked my friend if she thought he picked his underwear to match and her guess was that he did. I think he heard us discussing him b/c once we got into the store he turned around and looked at us before going another way...ooops!
Angela:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.