LOW PANTS, TIGHT SHIRTS, BAD BODS!!

Tesla

Not sure if anyone ever commented on this...
This trend has been going for a while--you know, the pants that just skim the pubic area (how do they stay up?) and tops that are really a newborn size on girls that should be clearly heading for the plus-size rack.
Maybe I'm missing something when it comes to body confidence--but what is with these girls, who obviously don't exercise--wearing these clothes with their guts hanging over the sides of their jeans? Same with the shirts--too much bust, too little material.
I'm not sure if the icons Britney Spears and Christina are to blame for all of this...
Ahhh, kids today. I've never seen so many fat teenagers.
So glad I grew up in a more innocent time (I'm not THAT old--39 and holding):p Lisa

I have an opinion on this. However, I think I'll need to keep it to myself...I have flashbacks to how stylish I thought I looked in my legwarmers :eek: :)

Someday, these gals will look back & cringe too.

I think teenagers are so obsessed with trends that they want to wear what is "in style", no matter what their body shape is. As they grow older they will hopefully realize that "trends" are created by fashion designers that hate women, :), and wear what suits them.

Lori

Hmmm our town is very much the opposite.. VERY thin girls - I'm not big but many of these girls are TINY -

My daughter just graduated last year, but her grade was VERY concerned with being in shape and doing sports to stay that way. I'd actually say the girls were much more concerned than we were in my day.

When I was young we just didn't eat to stay thin... now there seems to be much more of a focus on doing sports as well.

>I have an opinion on this. However, I think I'll need to keep
>it to myself...I have flashbacks to how stylish I thought I
>looked in my legwarmers :eek: :)
>
>Someday, these gals will look back & cringe too.

Well what's really frightening is I remember (I'm 40) wearing hip huggers and peasants and Elton John glasses and cringing while thinking back and NOW they are back **big scared face**.
The styles seem much cuter today though and I look much better in hip huggers now then I ever did
:+ .

I could just not be remembering well...but I sure don't remember our hip huggers being THIS low as they are today....of course we weren't wearing thongs to show off either...x( :+ :D ....Carole

I work in a HIgh School. I see this every day. These girls need to realize what happens when they sit down:( I've seen more butt cleavage and thong straps than I ever care to see. They also wear such low cut tops. I don't see how hormonal 15-17 yr old boys can concentrate!! Of course as earlier stated, only about 2% of these girls could carry this look off....but it shouldn't be in school! Before you ask, yes, we do have a dress code. Many times we ask the girls to get a sweatshirt, jacket, etc. (if they have one in their locker)which they will get, but you see them later in the hallway and it is removed. You would be amazed at the number of parents that get irrate when asked to bring suitable clothing. There have been times girls have been sent home. Many male teachers are reluctant to say much to the girls. I guess they don't want to be perceived as "looking". Sorry to highjack this....I guess I've run off on another tangent.
Our school district is looking at reducing PE requirements (also many electives) as we are in a huge budget crunch. These kids need physical activity....again another tangent...Sorry/

>I could just not be remembering well...but I sure don't
>remember our hip huggers being THIS low as they are
>today....of course we weren't wearing thongs to show off
>either...x( :+ :D ....Carole

I agree the style now is to show off your thong.........? Well I never got the whole butt floss thing, talk uncomfortable :p

>I think teenagers are so obsessed with trends that they want
>to wear what is "in style", no matter what their body shape
>is. As they grow older they will hopefully realize that
>"trends" are created by fashion designers that hate women, :),
>and wear what suits them.
>
>Lori

Very well said Lori!! :)

I remember also having big hair and big earrings in college and thinking I looked great too! Now I see those pictures and also cringe.x( However, I showed very little of my butt, lower abs and cleavage (okay, well I don't have any cleavage:+ ) unless I was wearing a swimsuit. How things have changed. My father also would have never let me out of the house looking like some of these teens do.

I see this all the time. It's hard....I hate for girls to think they have to be so fit and thin. On the other hand, this look just shows how overweight some teens have gotten, or is about how tight the clothing can get on you.

When I see this look, I think "my goodness those pants really don't fit properly and if they did, that roll of fat wouldn't be pouring over the sides." Then to top it off(no pun intended), the top is a mid drift and the roll becomes the focal point. It even gets better when there's a belly ring to bring in your focus closer. I wonder if they ever look in the mirror.

I think this "look" would be appealing with a larger size.

I'm not trying to be nasty, but this look(squeezing into small, small sizes) just makes them look heavier than they probably are. It's similair to heavier people wearing overly boxy clothing to hide(I remember doing this) their shape. The middle ground is better.

Don't get me started with adults trying to work this style....ugg!

My friends daughter is quite heavy. She wear this style even though she is very bothered by her weight and teased at school. I just don't get it. She has tried several times too lose weight, but never carries through.

I'm not that old, either---I'll 39 this week!

I actually think it is worse in middle school than High School. I remember a couple of years ago being at my sons football game and all these 7th/8th grade girls walking around with TEENY TINY shorts - they were rolled down in addition to being short to start..

Funny the boys just keep covering up more.. longer shorts - looser shirts... by HS (at least where I live) the girls had more fashion sense!

I guess I see it more of a problem of girls dressing totally inapropriately rather then girls that are too heavy. Makes you wonder what the heck the parents were thinking...

>I could just not be remembering well...but I sure don't
>remember our hip huggers being THIS low as they are
>today....of course we weren't wearing thongs to show off
>either...x( :+ :D ....Carole

But do you remember "short shorts" and those short mini skirts that you had to wear matching panties with (and instructions on how to bend over so you @$$ didn't show?):7

I wore some under-the-navel low (not too low!) pants this summer, and I looked better in them than some of the 16-20 year olds (less than half my age). I really don't want to see anyone's belly roll. And if I hadn't been in such good ab shape from P90X, I wouldn't have worn the pants myself.

As a teacher, I'm really not interested in seeing anymore student underwear or student butt cracks when I walk around the room!! Some of these pants may work while standing, but sitting is another matter (when did the "plumber's crack" look become stylish? LOL!)

Another fad (is it over yet?) I did not get (am I getting too old?) is the "pants so loose they may fall down at a moment's notice" look. I was in the grocery store one day, and a teenage boy wearing these was in front of my walking down the aisle. He literally had to hike up his pants every three or four steps because they kept falling down below his butt crack. When I got to the checkout, he was there with his mother, and I almost said something to her (but what do I say?).

Some of this has to do with practicality:

I think people really don't know what they look like. The mirror really gives a skewed perspective...people tend to look at the parts they like & ignore the parts they don't & miss the whole picture.

Just took my daughter shopping for a "special" dress for vacation. She's 12 but looks 16. Very tall & slim & firm from karate. Anyhow, I let her try on whatever she wanted. She started w/prom style dresses & moved on to short "hoochie-mama" dresses. I took pictures w/the digital & kept my mouth shut. Then we moved on to another store - clothing a bit more conservative but still very stylish & pretty. No formal wear, no "hoochie". Again she tried things on & I took pictures. After viewing all the pictures, she just couldn't decide between 3 of the more conservative dresses. When I say conservative, keep in mind she still had arms, legs, and neck showing. Mama was cheering inside...I couldn't help myself & purchased two!

Best of all, she had a lot of fun, felt good about herself & thinks I'm a cool mom! :7

I agree with you about the belly being the focus with the low pants, high shirt and belly ring being the "target" area you can't help but look at.

:eek:

>I think people really don't know what they look like. The
>mirror really gives a skewed perspective...people tend to look
>at the parts they like & ignore the parts they don't & miss
>the whole picture.
>

And judging from the number of tight polyester pants on lumpy buts in Walmart, not many people pay attention to their rear view. EEK!

Its not just highschool girls either.Last year while DH and I were christmas shopping every girl in their early 20's who checked us in had the samething happening.Their bellys were hanging out over their jeans.DH was grossed out.We are still only young ourselves.I am 26 and he is 29.But I agree, there are some really tiny girls in this town but I think there may be alot more overweight ones.
One the other hand....I love my thongs!:7 My calvin klien undies are the most comfortable thing I have ever put on in my life.Some of my jeans are lower cut,not as bad as they can be,but I don't wear tiny shirts.I try to get my tops to meet the top of my jeans.
Another thought.....but at the sametime isn't it great that these girls are so comfortable with their bodies that they don't care if everything is hanging out? It may be gross to us and we may never do it but body image can be so negative right now,maybe we should applaude them for not covering themselevs in layers of clothing and trying every diet on the market.
Just a thought
Lori:)

I'm 39 now...I have older sisters whose genre was more 60s and 70s influenced.
IMHO, "back then" the workout craze wasn't there. It doesn't seem that having a workout-body was important. A lot of the clothes were statements "against" the establishment...being a beatnik, standing for a cause. There were some pretty hideous fashion lines then, but...and I'm struggling here because I was a little kid...
I guess fashions come full circle, and the hip huggers of the "hippy generation" may have meant what the "pubic huggers" of today mean. But somehow, I doubt this.
I'm going to get in deep poo if I continue this train of thought. Anyone who was of the age to know about this should comment. I will add, though, that my oldest sister (she's 53) who used to wear mini-skirts and "go-go" boots thinks that what girls wear today doesn't look as good!!:p
Lisa

Kathryn the grocery store was too funny and sad. And yes, what would you say. Chances are the mother may have been embarrassed. Dealing with teens can be a huge job. What is more important to focus on, which clothing may not be the issue with boys so much as girls. I hate buying pants in my size and having spandex in them, they tend to ride down so I need a long shirt. I have worn these belly baring outfits as well. I would like them to raise the "rise" on the pants a little. I would definitely feel more comfortable. And yes I do not know why these women and mostly, girls will wear this stuff when overweight. Full length mirrors may help.
Diane Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.