Low Carbers Jan 2013

Melinda65

Cathlete
Happy New Year!

OK, so Monday I opened my mail in the evening and the new XTRAIN series was in there! So I am going to try to follow the 90 day rotation. Have any of you received it yet? I have to say I am really impressed. There's a booklet that goes along with it with detailed layout of each disc and a lot of other info. I'll let you all see for yourselves!

Anyways, I did day 1 and really liked it. Not boring and moves along quickly. I felt it too. Good use of the ball and 16 reps is the max. This was the chest,back, shoulder workout. I am so glad I decided to get this series, can't wait to hear what you all think about it.

Melinda - thanks for starting the thread :cool:! I got my Xtrain, too but I don't know if I'll start it this coming weekend or the next. There's no way I can do her 6 times a week rotation so I'll just do my own thing with the strength until I feel like moving on :).

Lita, I'm hoping for the best, but 6x week is a bit much for me as well. What I've done in the past with STS when I first got started with it was if I had a break in between, I just picked up with the next workout in line. I think it ended up taking me a few extra weeks, maybe a month more doing it that way, but I was fine with it. Once school and work start up and things get busy, I may have to cut back. I love all the premixes, so I could possibly do one of those instead of a whole workout if I'm crunched for time.

One more thing, when I was getting ready to start this thread, I noticed that our last one had Nov & Dec 2011, thought that was funny, I never noticed the year on it those whole 2 months.

That's too funny, Melinda - I didn't notice it either :p!

I will definitely get 3 strength workouts in each week and will try to add on short cardios Sat/Sun. Maybe - time and energy permitting ;) - I'll squeeze in a shorter cardio workout some other morning when I normally don't exercise.

I like your idea of just doing the workouts in order until they're all done - but I know from painful experience that all the cardio Cathe calls for in a rotation is hurt city for this girl :eek:....

So far, I've done:
CBS - really liked the fact that she doesn't hurry the reps and you have time to get your equipment
All Out HiiT - all but the step portion - really liked this one and only had to modify one floor exercise
Legs - More endurance type but a good workout - the barre portion with the leg high to the side seemed to last forever as did the ending floorwork. Maybe it's just 'cause I was getting really hungry by the end of the morning's workout, though :eek:. Also, the workout was longer than what it says - more about that later...
Hard Strikes - no conditioning - good basic boxing workout - but acc'd to my timer, shorter than the book says

As to the times, acc'd to my timer:
The warmup/boxing/KB portion of Hard Strikes was shortly over 30 min (the book says 35, I think). Unless I read my timer wrong :rolleyes:.
The Leg workout is listed as 51+ but I skipped the warm up ended up with a time of 61 or so minutes :confused:.

Let's just say the warm up/boxing/kb section of Hard Strikes plus the Leg workout with no warm up = 93.3 minutes. How's that :p?

Two (sorta) more down:
Bis & Tris - Another winner :cool:. I did get a few more reps in than Cathe did on some but I'm just so happy she's not counting ad nauseum that I don't care :p. Besides, more is better, right ;)? I think the pants in this workout are even more unflattering that the ones in MMA :eek:! (Just a side note, lol)

Core 1 - Another hit. Tough, of course - but at least the 1st time thru the time flew. New moves for the most part - always a bonus.

PS - Tracy, I assume you'll just come over here so I'm not repeating all my blather on the other thread :).

Hi babes! I'm coming over here, thanks! :D

I'm glad you are liking the new series as much as you are Lita! I was wondering how you would like them. And thanks for the heads up on the Legs workout, looks like a premix will be in order for that one. :)

I've only done one so far, and that was CBS and I really like it. I agree with what you said about it Lita and I have no dread factor with it. Tough, but doable. I also liked that she slowed down when I did too. And I don't know why this is, but I can match her on some weights but not even get close to her on others. :confused:

Can't workout tomorrow but plan on Bi's and Tri's Wed. and legs on Thurs. Maybe Supercuts or Hard Strikes on Friday. We'll see how fried I feel. :p

Although I don't plan to do a rotation right now, I think it's awesome that Cathe incorporated the Low Impact series with this one. Is it my imagination or is Cathe slowing down just a tiny bit? Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, hee hee!

Hi again, Tracy :D! As for the weights - I'm totally with you. I noticed it on the BT disc too. I could keep up with the biceps but she really skunked me on the tricep OH press. As for the legs, it may have been long (I need to figure out that time discrepancy!) but it was more effective than any leg workout I've done since artritis/degeneration attacked my hips. Yesterday my legs hurt - in a good hurt kinda way ;) - and I was walking funny all day :p. They kept me awake all night though :confused: - not sure if that was the workout or just getting back to my daily walking after the holidays.

Cathe slowing down? I think that's wishful thinking :p. I may do the LI/XT rotation after this one. But there are so many variations with these workouts that I could probably come up with several more rotations and still not hit all the workouts :eek:!

PS - I know this isn't an issue for you ;) but I do think I'm going to have to break down and order exercise tubing :(. I hate having to buy one more thing but the bands really don't work well with the dumbbells - not to mention taking forever to set up.... sigh....

Last edited:
I'm finally here!! Sorry been MIA, but I got sick around Christmas and have really been out of commission for the last two weeks. Totally screwed up my BFFM holiday challenge. Oh well, that's life. I'll be ready for the next one.

I can't wait to start the new workouts. I'm still trying to get my body used to getting up in the morning, let alone early enough to work out. (got used to sleeping in way to easily) Of course, the cats would love it if I would get out and feed them earlier!

I'll probably try the 90 day rotation, but I haven't been able to read about it yet. I'll have to see. Sounds like they are great workouts. Yipppeee!

Rhea - I am so sorry you were ill over the holiday :(! Hopefully you are back to par now :). Yes, IMHO ;), they are really good - so far, anyway :D. I see Cathe put up a 30-day strength rotation that I'm checking out. I don't remember seeing it in the book but there was so much information there to absorb :eek:... While it's winter, I think I'll stick w/ the 90-day - but the 30 day strength might be pretty appealing this summer :p.

Hi Everyone,

Nice to see you all back! So I am following the 90 day undulating workout. I decided to number the workouts and just log them as that number in my calendar. I have taken a couple more days off, but like I told Lita earlier, if I miss a day, I'm just going to keep going with the order. So I have done

Chest, Back & Shoulders
Cardio Leg Blast
Hard Strikes Premix 16
Bis & Tris Premix 2 - this had core #2, which I didn't think too much of, high reps, lots of crunches.
Legs Premix 3. It was 80 min like listed

the legs workout had the rear delt part too, I liked it but really don't like an 80 min workout. This workout was lower wts and higher reps.

I am very happy with the series and love the booklet that came with it. It's so nice to have Cathe's wts listed and a place to put mine down. Many times I did do the same as Cathe's wt, but I will not use a 35# wt, not worth getting hurt. 25# is my max and I'm very selective when I use it.

Rhea, sorry you were sick. Can't wait to hear what you think about the workouts.

Tracy, glad to see you too!

Lita, I agree, I don't think Cathe is slowing down. I do wonder if she will move to more save exercises as she ages. That will be good for all of us!

Good to see you, Melinda! Yes, I hope she focuses more on safety as she ages ;). Well-said about the 25# dumbbell - I hurt myself many times before I learned to be judicious in using it :eek:.

Well, I just couldn't face Cardio Leg Blast this morning so I did Hard Strikes again, the whole thing this time. But I gotta tell ya - my legs didn't feel like that gave them a break :p! Oh - I was wrong about the time on the beginning part. I read the paper as 35 - it did actually say 30.35 which is correct :eek:.

One other positive attribute to these workouts - she holds the stretches longer at the end :cool:. Much better for these cranky joints :D!

Wouldn't you know - the first time in years I've managed to squeeze in an extra workout this week and the calendar won't save it :rolleyes:.... Hopefully that will be fixed soon - I'd hate to lose "credit" for all my work ;).

Lita, the calendar didn't know what to do with the extra workout! ;)

Just going to do 30 min on stationary bike, not sleeping well this week. Will pick up the series again Friday.

Melinda - I must have really shocked it 'cause when it finally put it in, it put it twice :p! Hope you soon sleep better!!!

Figured out the discrepancy on the Leg disc (5). It includes the barre section but doesn't count the time. Maybe if you hit PLAY instead of CHAPTERS to start the disc it doesn't include the barre. Don't know why that would make a difference but maybe....

BurnSets Bis and Tris is a good one too, even if Cathe does keep counting and then tells you to count to your own pace :rolleyes:.... :p

Hi babes! Great to see everyone! I'm so sorry you were sick over the holidays Rhea! :(

I did the Legs disk and it does not play the Barre section if you just put the disk in and hit play. The Barre section is considered a bonus.

Is the 30 day strength workout on Cathe's rotation page or in the user guide? I think I'm confused! :p

And as for Cathe slowing down, uh, no way! I never shoulda said that! :eek: I did Supercuts the day after Legs and I just about died! I could not keep up with her on the last chapter. Be warned! It's 5 full sit ups, then you turn over and do 5 fast push ups. And you do both 8, I said 8! times!! Hopefully it was just a bad day for me and it will be better next time! :D

As for the tubing, it runs around $12 to $15. The one Cathe has is blue, which is a tougher resistance than medium. I have that and a medium band in red. I think they are by a co. called Spri. Anyhoo, I can't do all of the exercises so far with just the blue band. I have to use the red too.

And looking at the Burn Sets, I am happy to see that I can do them at work. My heavier weights are at home but I can make it happen at work.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back to a Cathe workout until Friday at the earlist due to my work schedule. Booo! :mad:

Lita, I noticed that the Legs workout hit me in an area I've never been hit before so I was thrilled with that!

Melinda, I love the book too! I didn't have to be anal preview girl 'cause Cathe wrote down all of her weights which helped me gauge mine. I thanked her for that. :)

Have an awesome week babes!

Tracy - Those sit ups/pushups are in the conditioning part of Hard Strikes, too ;). But at least that's only 6 sets :p. Wonder why the dvd plays differently using play than it does chapters :confused:. Oh well - maybe I'll remember - you know what they say about old dogs, new tricks :D. Just pretty strange the bonus section is in the chapters and not at the end like all the other bonuses.

Oh - the strength rotation is in the workout manager in the rotation section. But I'm liking the 90 day undulating one - even if there are some workouts we don't get to try until the 5th week.

I just wish I could keep to the rotation better since I'm not getting up at the wee hours. Did the first workout Sat, got a little set back from the cold, so made myself take Sunday off. Planned to do CLB yesterday, but work screwed that up with not getting out of the jail until bleeping 5:45, which doesn't get me home until almost seven. So no workout. Today, I think I'll just pick it back up with the CLB. I'll have to see if I can manage to move all the workouts in the calendar one day over. I might cheat and erase the rotation, put it back in starting on Today and move the one workout backwards. Yeah, sounds like a plan. BTW, I loved the first workout. :)

Rhea - So glad to see you :cool:! I think erasing and starting over sounds best ;). I just do themin whatever order works for me. Sorta like Melinda does but I change the order depending on how it works with that day's schedule.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.