Low Carbers & Friends - July 2012

Melinda65

Cathlete
Ok, so I'm also on vacation this week. We stayed here, it is so hot, 100 degrees plus or minus a degree that we are not able to go outside much. Tried it and then started feeling woozie and low energy. We did see local fire works on Saturday. Didn't do anything yesterday, felt like 108 with the humidity. I think it's suppose to get better next week.

So July 4th was our 20th anniversary! Didn't do anything though, but it was still nice. DH made me a card which was sweet.

Also, we have been biking for 2 yrs now. Our first year we did 452 miles, then second year we did 765. I hope we can go over 800 miles this next year.

Tracy, tell me what tabata is. I didn't get the workouts, not that I wouldn't be interested in trying them, just feel like I have so many of them now I have enough.

Tracy, also here's an idea for the coffee pot. Brew the pot, but then put the coffee in a caraf (however that's spelled) and it will stay warm in that at your desk. Just a thought. That is bad that the employees are leary of you, oh, office politics. Hope they get to know you soon, does not sound fun.

Good morning everyone! So glad I could find the thread.

Of course I did all kinds of work on vacation...duh, do I ever just relax, apparently not! I need a vacation from my vacation.

Rhea - I think relaxing is just not part of your nature :rolleyes: :p!

Melinda - Thanks for the July thread :cool:! Hope you soon get cooler temps back there!

Tracy - I agree with the carafe suggestion. I do the same thing here at the office ;). How's the new house coming?

PS, Tracy - I am sorry some of the employees have had such negative employers but I'm sure you'll have them settled in no time :). And if not, they need to just get over it because we've all had bad bosses in our time ... (Obviously my sympathy factor only goes so deep :p.....)

Last edited:
I think Lita needs to lend that iron skillet to Tracy. It has not been used in a while, probably getting a little rusty!

So, I'm not sure how much I like the new workouts, they're tough!

Rhea - I agree, it is definitely getting rusty :eek:! These days I don't have the energy to swing it :p! I just looked at the previews (got the DVDs but they are going to have to wait until MUCH cooler weather) and I can tell I'll be modifying the impact a LOT. Not excited w/ all the cardio coming with the new series but at least it is supposed to be low impact.

Melinda - I Googled Tabata and I'm still not sure I know what the heck it is :confused: ;)!

This week the weather is much better. Did a 23 mile bike ride last night, we shut down the trail! Actually, wasn't planning on going that far.

I could use that skillet for my work. I won't say any more, except that I could be the mother of everyone else in my dept and it's grating on my nerves!

Rhea, what don't you like about the new workouts? Are they too intense?

When I previewed them it was a OMG reaction. And then I tried to plug one in before a Meso #2 leg day. At least I thought about it and stopped.

BTW. Tabata is a 20 second high intensity, 10 second recovery type workouts. At least that is what I thought Cathe said when that sections started. I was breathing pretty hard, so who knows.

Rhea - I had the OMG reaction just watching the sweat pouring off of Cathe in the short video clips they had on the blog! Thanks for the Tabata info - I was wondering :D! I looked it up and other than seeing it was a circuit-style workout, didn't get what the point was :eek:!

Rhea, thanks for the info on tabata. OK, so I am fine not doing these workouts now. It is hot again today and tomorrow, heat index close to 100. Feels bad.

So, I have been tortured for months now about this decision, but I will share with you all. Did I ever tell you I got accepted into nursing school? I can't remember. Well, if not, I did. So after months of torture, DH and I both agreed that it would be best for me to just work part time. This fall is very intense with schooling. So today I gave my notice at work. I have 4 more weeks, then I'll just do health screenings part time. I don't want to be a manager or lead, too much stress. I am hoping this is the right move, but my heart says it is. So I made the leap of faith. I will be done with school Dec 2013, so really it won't take that long. And after I get through May of next year, it is down hill, so I will start focusing more on adding more hours working somewhere. I pray no economic disasters happen at our house, I think I'm more nervous after DH was out of work 2 1/2 years.

Melinda - Very scary, I'm sure, but how exciting, too :cool:!!! I hope all stays calm in your life and you can get through school and then pursue your new career :).

Ooh how great for you Melinda! Scary, but if it feels right, then go for it!

Yep, I pre-ordered. Any one else?

Oh and BTW, did Cross Fire in it's entirety, not bad, higher impact, but the segments themselves are not that long. I think it hurt more watching than actually doing.

Thanks, Rhea - glad I can lower the dread factor a bit :cool:! Of course I pre-ordered :rolleyes: - I can always sell on Ebay if need be. I just really wish she'd do another strength series :mad:.

Hi fit babes! Glad to see you! I have missed you. :(

Rhea is right about the tabata--20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. Haven't done either of the new ones, haven't even previewed them yet! But I know they will be cooler weather workouts for me too.

Melinda, I am very happy for you! Since you feel it was the right thing to do, it definitely was. :D I understand the scariness of it too--I was scared to take the new job I have. All change is scary, especially with your DH being out of work. How is his job going now?

My job is going better and Melinda may use the skillet! Those I supervise seem to be warming up to me and I feel like I'm fitting in with the management team. Whew! I'm very thankful that there isn't any drama! I told my trainer before she left for 8 months that I wasn't here to cause trouble and I was going to do the best job I can while she's gone. She told me she appreciated that so I think I put her mind at ease a little. :)

The house is really coming along! DH and I are there almost everyday (I got a break tonight) to clean up stuff. The roof shingles are on, the plumbing is almost done, the windows are in as well as the showers (we did enclosures rather than the lovely tile work that Rhea did). I am very excited about the progress! :D And yes, we find stuff done wrong constantly. :rolleyes:

So, I suppose I'm going to fit in with you ladies on vacations this year! Any of mine will be working ones too. I think we need to make a pact that we all take REAL vacations next year!

So, uh, there is a new set of workouts to preorder? Thank you babes for keeping me informed! I will check them out!

Have a great rest of your week and stay cool!

Day 4 into the notice to leave my job and I am feeling a lot better. No more torture, just looking forward. I'm glad I made this decision. DH is holding his own, not so thrilled about the job, but it's a job.

Tracy, that's what I thought "new workouts?" Will have to go check it out. It is exciting to hear the progress for your house, seems to be working quickly. And I'm glad things are progressing in a positive way at your work. It's you and your personality that is making it work out for the good!

OK, so our youngest son who is a senior in high school is going to band camp in a few weeks. So right after I am done with my job, we're going to WV for a few days in the smokey mountains. There is a bike trail right next to our cabin. I am looking forward to this! This is going to have to count for my "fun vacation" this year. Will have to wait until next summer for the next one.

Melinda - How awesome to get away for a short while! I think the peace and beauty of the Smoky Mountains will be a great break for you after all the stress :cool:!

Tracy - That's so exciting :D :D :D!!! A lot of work, for sure, but gosh - it's underway after all these years! Doing the happy dance for ya, girlie!

Rhea - You hanging in there ;)???? I know you're keeping busy - but hopefully you can soon stop by! How's that BFFM challenge going :)?

Hello!

BFFM challenge is going great. I've been spending way too much time over on the BFFM website. I've been a chatty Cathy!

Progress for this body is slow, but I'm pushing it hard. Straightening out the nutrition, very clean eating for me, at least this week! I'm actually having to get some more calories in as I don't think I have been eating enough, hence the slower fat melt. My workouts have been STS rotation with cardio added in. Even on STS days. So burning off a lot. I've learned that the new workouts have to be on the weekend though, can't squeeze them in between STS, too much leg work.

Next week will be interesting as I think I have to adjust my STS rotation so I can have four days of no weights starting Sat the 28th. I'll be at a conference in San Diego. So I'm thinking that Mon will be normal STS Week #3, Chest Shoulders and Triceps, Tues, Legs....wed the back and biceps, Thurs, day of cardio and Frid Week #4 chest shoulders and triceps. Then no STS until I get back on Wed. Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it, but I figured this is one way to keep the rotation going without too much of a change.

Talk to you later!!!!

Jeez, Rhea, you're making ME tired too :p! That's a lot of workouts and quite a whirlwind schedule :eek:! Glad your challenge is going well - but glad you took some time to come see us, too :cool:. How long is your conference? We'll miss you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.