Lose a little, gain a little..when will it end??

horselady21

Cathlete
I started Cathe on demand about 3 weeks ago, and also started back on my good eating plan, documenting my intake, etc. I weigh myself once a week or so.

I had a small circuit step with no risers, which was ok for the moment because of my past back surgeries. I can do a little high impact but not crazy stuff. By the end of a cardio workout, I am breathing heavy and red in the face! I usually can't even finish a complete workout.

I also started the STS program, which has really helped my arm definition! I love lifting weights and hope that will be the difference this time. I had belonged to the local YMCA and did massive step cardio twice a week and a little at home, and last year went from 180 to 162 at my lowest, but seemed to even out at 165. I was pretty happy with that but my goal has always been 150.

Anyhow, I lost 4 lbs during the first 2 weeks, then weighed myself today, and I am back up a pound! Granted , I didn't eat so well over the weekend, but nothing collosally bad! Am I gaining water from all the weight training? Getting muscle back? I haven't done measurements, but my belt is still on the same notch (is belly fat always the last to go??). Any suggestions?

Congratulations on starting STS, it's a great program. To me it sounds like nothing to worry about with that 1lb weight gain. It could be a bit of water weight from both the new lifting program as well as maybe some water retention from any added salt etc from the weekend eating. Maybe don't weigh yourself the day after you stray from the eating plan as the results are bound to upset you and are likely temporary. Good luck with the program, I'm sure you'll do great!
Jamie

Honestly, if I weighed myself several times in one day, the scale would tell me that I gained or lost a pound in that time period. It wouldn't mean anything though. I agree with Nancy above, put that scale away! Don't be so fixated on the numbers, and focus more on how good you feel from working out and eating right! :)

I started Cathe on demand about 3 weeks ago, and also started back on my good eating plan, documenting my intake, etc. I weigh myself once a week or so.

I had a small circuit step with no risers, which was ok for the moment because of my past back surgeries. I can do a little high impact but not crazy stuff. By the end of a cardio workout, I am breathing heavy and red in the face! I usually can't even finish a complete workout.

I also started the STS program, which has really helped my arm definition! I love lifting weights and hope that will be the difference this time. I had belonged to the local YMCA and did massive step cardio twice a week and a little at home, and last year went from 180 to 162 at my lowest, but seemed to even out at 165. I was pretty happy with that but my goal has always been 150.

Anyhow, I lost 4 lbs during the first 2 weeks, then weighed myself today, and I am back up a pound! Granted , I didn't eat so well over the weekend, but nothing collosally bad! Am I gaining water from all the weight training? Getting muscle back? I haven't done measurements, but my belt is still on the same notch (is belly fat always the last to go??). Any suggestions?

Bret Contreras (The Glute Guy) has some AMAZING pics of ladies who are clients of his and are the same weight as when they started with him, but wow...do they have bods of steel! In fact, some of them gained weight, yet are as tight and toned as one can be.

http://bretcontreras.com/dont-be-slave-scale/

The weight on the scale is truly and utterly meaningless. It is also immensely volatile, particularly for women. Most trainers in the know do not recommend weighing yourself more than once a week. When you do this weekly, do it on the same day and at the same time, preferably on an empty stomach. Some trainers even say toss the scale entirely because it is so inaccurate at determining health or fitness or progress. Your fitness level improvements, measurements, body fat percentage, and muscle-to-fat ratio are far more important. I am highly critical of the BMI standard for a number of reasons, and the fact that the muscular among us would often be considered overweight or obese strictly on a scale's figure is one of them.

Ultimately, the fitness journey is a marathon and not a sprint. The body is very, very complex. It could be hormones, medication, eating something salty the day before, or some other mysterious factor having nothing to do with actually being fatter that day. Water weight increase the day after a harder strength workout is common, as serious weight-training will temporarily create a bit of water retention. (I'm no scientist, but that's my understanding.)

Believe me...I more than understand the frustration you feel. My personal trouble zone is in the hips and thighs, and I honestly still think sometimes that I will never lose the excess fat there that's haunted me forever. But the more I train with weights and hit them with a variety of exercises using a band, stability ball, etc., the more changes I see in that area. There is hope. STS is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself! :) I have lost 160 lbs from my top weight, but I still am nowhere near thin. The first 80 lbs. came from dieting alone. (I didn't have any surgery.) While I was smaller in dimension 80 lbs. in, my body before exercising hadn't changed in actual shape one bit. The next 80 lbs. lost, those that came far more from exercise, were where the vast majority of my dress size losses, fat loss, and actual shape changes came from. Especially once I lost my wariness over heavier weight-lifting! But losing the last 80 lbs. was VERY much a back-and-forth struggle when looked at from week to week. I'd be up three pounds one week, then down five the next. I wasn't crash-dieting, bingeing on junk food, drinking lots of booze, anything understandable. However, with continued clean eating, three days of serious cardio and three days of serious weight-training a week, I can assure you that the results came. The sizes fell off in droves. And the changes keep coming even now. You are right- strength-training is the key! To top it off, I am more fit than at the age of ten. That is priceless! My weight has been static for a few months, and technically I could stand to lose more. However, my body fat percentage has continued to decrease, while lean mass has increased. My pants size has gone down, which is a big deal for me. Cellulite has diminished like never before. I mean, my thighs are smoother than when I was in high school! My strength and cardio gains have been astronomical in that time period. And if it takes eating a bit more and losing a bit less (or not at all), to ensure that I keep making strength gains, I accept that now. My goals have moved way beyond sheer numbers, be it on a scale or a in a dress size.

It's good to analyze your diet and exercise efforts to an extent, I don't mean to imply it isn't. If it's lack of clean eating and putting full effort into workouts that is holding you back, okay...learn from that, and move on. But the reality is that there will indeed be times you're doing everything "right" and your weight won't change or may even go up a bit. Sometimes that is the (often temporary) price to pay for lifting weights. The benefits of long-term weight-lifting are so numerous though, even if we got a bit bigger and never hit that arbitrary goal we have on the scale, would it truly matter? I can almost promise for anyone who hits the six-month mark or so of lifting serious weights, their goals will shift for good regarding fitness. Continued training with weights truly takes on a wonderful life of its own. :D

You are obviously committed to fitness and hard work. You sound like you're well within a pretty good weight range (nothing dangerous health-wise, or where excess weight is destroying your life). It seems you've seen positive body changes visually already, and I'm guessing in your energy levels and feeling of fitness, too. I say celebrate the ability to exercise, appreciate the strong and able body that allows you to do things like step aerobics and STS, be proud of your new arm definition, and simply enjoy your workouts. We are blessed to be able to move these bodies of ours and see them evolve with modern training. It's a wonderful time to live in, as far as that goes. Pragmatically, I would say don't change your overall strategy too often, unless you're seeing really drastic negative changes in either workout progress or your size. Don't be hard on yourself, and don't give up. :)

well said, turquoise eyes!
I hid my bathroom scales in Jan 2014 (new year's resolution), and have not stood on them since. I still fit my clothes (well, they're a bit tight on the shoulders and biceps ;)). I can get through anything Cathe throws at me. I can deadlift 150lb. I eat well and eat plenty. I don't know what I weigh. The earth hasn't stopped rotating.

You've already received amazing advice/thoughts.
I only have one thing to add re: the volatility of the scale:
If I wake up, pee, and weigh myself on an empty stomach, then weigh myself again in the late afternoon, I'm often up 6-7 lbs. I eat plenty of food and drink plenty of water (meeting, not exceeding, my needs), and that weighs something!
So, IME, 1 lb sounds like less than a blip on the radar...
Be well,
Roz

Wow! Very well said, and just what I needed to hear! Ok, the scale is going bye bye!
I am impressed by your weight loss though! 160 lbs , I couldn't even imagine the strength of character that took!

Thank you so much!

Thank you. :) I think it just took finally realizing I must be in this journey for life, and that I permanently needed to rework my life around fitness. Mentally, it can't be about the bathing suit I want to fit into in June (not that there's anything wrong with having that type of goal!), but things that are longer-lasting. Whether they needed weight loss or not, it seems the common traits among every person who has built up a high level of fitness and sticks with working out/clean eating over the long haul are commitment and patience. It's not the results of today or tomorrow driving them, but the results over a lifetime of working out and eating right that matter. In that respect, I'm not unusual or special in the least. And it sounds like you're in it for the long haul yourself, which is equally awesome! :)

Only weigh at the same time everyday, after you pee, before breakfast. Everybody varies throughout the day. It's normal. And just forget the rest. Muscle, fiber, water, salt, msg, soda pop, antihistamines, and antibiotics can all cause weight fluctuation without it meaning that you are fat. Watch clothes and keep a food log.

I think I am going to revamp my eating again also. I am the kind of person who likes to eat basically the same foods every day for breakfast and lunch. Not so much to think about that way. I am a carb lover, though, so have to remedy that! I try for lean protein, good carbs, etc, but boy, is that hard to do when you hate veggies!

I just wanted to Shaw results from this morning. Yesterday, instead of eating my usual sleeve of whole wheat crackers throughout the day, I substituted hard boiled eggs and yogurt.

Did a great 45 minute step workout last night and 15 minutes of Sts in the morning.

Scale today is DOWN from 178 to 175.4!!!

Sometimes It does take a closer look at what you are doing. Also, I went to the endocrinologist and I have thyroiditis.

I just wanted to Shaw results from this morning. Yesterday, instead of eating my usual sleeve of whole wheat crackers throughout the day, I substituted hard boiled eggs and yogurt.

Did a great 45 minute step workout last night and 15 minutes of Sts in the morning.

Scale today is DOWN from 178 to 175.4!!!

Sometimes It does take a closer look at what you are doing. Also, I went to the endocrinologist and I have thyroiditis.
HorseLady, Good for you for changing your mindset and conquering the carb monster ;)! I think that made the biggest change for me; ditching the bread and noodles and crackers....
Good job with the workouts....remember how Rome was built: brick by brick!
Also, I'm glad that you have an answer for some of your health issues...it helps to be able to visualize the culprit and attack it in your mind (like PacMan eating fruit!) along with the treatment your doctor gives you.....

So well said Turquoise Eyes....
You have done extremely well....Congratulations.
I can relate to your story...I too am fitter than I was at high school!
Most of my old acquaintances can not recognise me...Even after years of not only keeping the weight off
but also slotting my body in smaller sizes. The dress I worn on my avatar picture is too big for me now! 2 sizes.
Like you I certainly would *not* have achieved without weight training.

Yes, it is a long lfetime journey:):)

So well said Turquoise Eyes....
You have done extremely well....Congratulations.
I can relate to your story...I too am fitter than I was at high school!
Most of my old acquaintances can not recognise me...Even after years of not only keeping the weight off
but also slotting my body in smaller sizes. The dress I worn on my avatar picture is too big for me now! 2 sizes.
Like you I certainly would *not* have achieved without weight training.

Yes, it is a long lfetime journey:):)

That is fun, isn't it?! When old acquaintances do a double-take and they're like, "Whoa...wait, are you...? No, you can't be her!" I admit I get a tiny bit of satisfaction from now being more fit than some of the women who made fun of me in school when we were all very young, but I'm immature that way. ;) And that is so true about weight-training heavily; clothing sizes keep changing even if pounds on the scale do not. My size shifts a bit from time to time depending upon how muscular my body is, usually based on my current workout rotation. I've been really trying to focus on muscle-building lately, and my shirt sizing is driving me nuts. My thighs, waist and hips keep getting smaller and firmer, but my chest and arms are a bit bigger. I would say that's the only frustrating thing- when the muscle pump or actual increase in size make me (temporarily?) bigger. It's purely an emotional gut reaction, but I hate feeling my clothes getting tighter! Shirts are less forgiving than pants and dresses. And my mother LOVES to equate tighter sleeves with a negative weight gain...:rolleyes:

However, when I hauled in two 25-lb. bags of rock salt from the car all by myself recently (to deal with our third bad winter in a row- ugh!) after a day of cleaning house, laundry, ironing, and an hour of aerobics done in the a.m., she shut her mouth right quick! :D Six years ago I was told I'd never squat or lunge easily ever again, five years ago I was walking with a cane, and a year ago I couldn't get up from or down to the floor. I used to be terrified of falling, because I knew I would not be able to pull myself up back off the ground...Now I work out 70-90 minutes a day, go to college full-time as an Honors student, keep the house sparkling, cook dinner from scratch every night, take care of my mom (she's a severe diabetic), do some professional organizing work, and have maintained my weight loss for several months. I kept working out and eating clean through a devastating death in my family last summer, and through a couple of really draining college semesters of late. I used to think working out every day was an added stress to one's life. Now it is the only thing that helps me de-stress most days, keeping me semi-sane. :)

Turquoise eyes, I, for one, can use all the help I can get up top! Lol! Bigger there is a bonus to me!

It sounds like you have had severe physical problems also. Do you mind details? I had major back surgery 2 years ago and still deal with pain issues. But working out helps so much, both physically and emotionally.

I also went through the death of my boyfriend and yep, exercise was my savior. It was one hour a day that I didn't think of all the bad stuff. Plus I also take care of my elderly parents.
Thanks so much for your motivational stories.

Wow, Horselady, you really found Cathe at just the right time! I can't imagine the heartache and stress that you are dealing with. I am so happy that you are able to give yourself the care that you need on top of everything else on your plate. You are definitely an inspiration for us!

Turquoise eyes, I, for one, can use all the help I can get up top! Lol! Bigger there is a bonus to me!

It sounds like you have had severe physical problems also. Do you mind details? I had major back surgery 2 years ago and still deal with pain issues. But working out helps so much, both physically and emotionally.

I also went through the death of my boyfriend and yep, exercise was my savior. It was one hour a day that I didn't think of all the bad stuff. Plus I also take care of my elderly parents.
Thanks so much for your motivational stories.

I don't mind giving details, and promise I will go into my tale from such poor health to being so much more fit in a post before too long. But it's a bit of a long story and I am rather sleepy tonight!

I am VERY sorry for the loss of your boyfriend. :( I cannot imagine how hard that must have been on you. My uncle died under some terrible circumstances in May, and it really ended up blowing my family apart in ways I could never have imagined. Working out is STILL my savior many days...I'm sure you can relate. Sometimes it is the only positive thing going on, the one way we can give anything back to ourselves that is still healthy and joyful. I know how hard it can be to serve as caregiver, allow yourself to grieve while still keeping your life going, deal with this busy world's constant demands on our time, and so on.

I'm pretty new to this site, but I think there is a way to message members individually. Please feel free to drop me a line, if you ever need to talk [i.e., vent!]. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.