Looking for some Cathlete wisdom

snowlover

Cathlete
I was questioned by a coworker the other day concerning osteoporosis. She knows I weight lift etc and wondered what I've come across about the subject. I'm going to share with her my Dr. Sims book, Next Level, because there is a chapter about bone density. I did promise her that I would ask Cathletes if they have any thoughts: specifically with how to help reverse/manage osteoporosis without taking the medication her doctor is proposing. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I think referencing her over to professionals is probably the best course of action.

When I was reading about menopause, the book, "The Menopause Manifesto" by Dr. Jen Gunter had a great section about osteoporosis and she (a doctor) discusses lots of methods for mitigating bone loss. I think, however, at some point, depending on how far along your bone loss is, medication may be the most important approach combined with proper exercise and nutrition.

If your friend feels like her doctor is requiring medication unnecessarily, she might want to get a couple other professional opinions from other doctors, too.

Hi! I'm going to share what I've learned after being in perimenopause for at least the past 6 years. I'm not sure if I've crossed the finish line of menopause yet because the last semblance of a period I had was in January. I'll be 47 in October.

I discovered the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause" by Dr. John Lee and have been using natural progesterone cream since April 2021. There is an entire chapter in the book devoted to hormone balance and osteoporosis. In a nutshell is says that estrogen therapy doesn't build bone density. It also says that bone loss can begin as early as the 30's when anovulation occurs and progesterone isn't released. Progesterone contributes to bone building osteoblasts.

One more thing I've learned is that Vitamin K1 and K2 and Vitamin D are essential for building and maintaining bone density. From what I understand, Vitamin K1 & K2 help direct calcium in the bloodstream to the bones.

The one thing I know about using natural progesterone is that I've had two normal mammograms since I've been using it. In December 2020, I had a breast cyst they wanted to follow up on in 6 months but I couldn't do it because I got my covid shot right around that time. I'd been on progesterone about 8 months at that point and the cyst had disappeared.

I use Organic Excellence natural progesterone cream and use 1/4 tsp in the morning and evening for 25 days and take 5 days off.

Hope this help!

Thanks so far for your thoughts. My friend is feeling not so confident in her doctors because she is not being provided with any alternatives or actions or even suggestions, just "take this pill". Thank you for the Vitamin K mention because that is one vitamin neither of us thought about and I see it in Dr. Sims book as well. My friend is seriously considering adding weight lifting, which again Dr. Sims suggests.

I broke a bone in my foot a few years back which prompted an evaluation & dx of osteopenia ... my provider recommended an Rx which I took for about 2 days and had terrible pain so stopped it and did more research. I will probably never take another Rx for it unless it progresses to osteoporosis, then I'll research again before I agree to it. I now take supplements (with no adverse side-effects) and am more serious about consistent weight-training than I was back then (loved my cardio) and I don't totally avoid high impact activities, which i did for awhile due to knee pain. Rx is highly controversial ... I'd recommend anyone to do due diligence with their own research and to not rely on their provider only since so many are trained to prescribe Rx (concerns about lawsuits if they don't). Rx may help some people, but not all. So to put it succinctly...do your own research in consultation with your provider.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.