Lex411--Asthma

cindylou

I hope you don't mind me writing to you, but I was struck when reading your response to Crystals post a few months back--we have much in common. I too have serious asthma and it affects my ability to exercise and the meds I have had to take over the years (you know, prednisone), have helped me to put on some unwanted pounds. We are also close in age and height. I am a few weeks away from being 30, am 5'3" and am not too excited to be a size 12/14 (though I am when I remember 10 months ago being a size tight 16!

I would love to hear about your journey to health from severe asthma--especially as you did it with a naturapath. I read a lot about alternative medicine, and I believe in it. But I don't have much money to explore in finding the right person.

When I read your story your description of yourself a year ago sounds a lot like me now! And since I am trying to move in your direction ;) I would love details and guidance.

Thank you!

cindy

Wow, I was really surprised to see a post addressed just to me. I feel kind of honored and I'm glad you decided to write about this. I still battle with my asthma but I am now convinced it is something that I can control and eventually even cure. Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling.

I didn't actually have it as a child, I developed it in my teen years and we thought it was from having a dog and a cat, even though we'd had them for years before I became symptomatic. And right now I have 3 cats that probably don't do me any favors but I don't feel sneezy from them. Actually, since finding out about yeast imbalances and that I had one I've seen lots of things like allergies decrease.

You DO sound a lot like me, same age, same size, it's kind of spooky! You can feel free to email me directly anytime, I'd be more than happy to chat with you that way, too ([email protected])

Anyway, my whole life changed when I was referred by someone to this chiropractor. My first reaction was "oh, they're all full of crap." Because I'd had lower back pain since I was about 15 and saw I don't know how many chiros who did nothing but xray me, show me stretches any bonehead would know and told me to take up to 9 Advil per day. Which I did! I didn't know better, I trusted the morons. So I was NOT into the idea of a chiropractor at all. But he said she did Chinese Medicine and was just amazing and I had to see her once, just once. Well, first my boyfriend went and he raved about her. But I was still skeptical. So about a month later, suffering from a whole list of problems (chronic vaginitis, daily heartburn, gas, bloating, low back pain, allergies, asthma flareups) I went to her and gave her the list and said "well, what can you do?" I pretty much expected her to say nothing but she examined me, talked to me and then said she thought I had Candidiasis, an inner yeast imbalance from years of a bad diet and overuse of steroids.

She gave me a book called The Body Ecology Diet and said to read it and when I was ready, do the diet. It's temporary, although you do need to do it for at least a few months, sometimes up to a year or two. But the idea is you starve off the parasites and bad yeast by depriving them of all sugars and start to rebuild your immune system, digestion, etc. It was HARD to do, I love starches and sugar. And recently, actually, I've gotten way off track. My granny died about a month ago and since then I have been really lax in my eating and my asthma is flaring up already. I know for a fact I have certain food allergies and I think I need to go back to the Candida diet myself to get balanced again.

Today, for instance, I did Power Circuit (I'm in week one of a 12 week rotation I set up, the first 4 weeks of which is Crosstrain Xpress) and I had to realy struggle through the cardio and normally I'm a cardio monster. It's hard not to just give up or skip it but I know the exercise helps with the yeast as well. And tonight I'm very wheezy from, I think, soy. I found another awesome book about food allergies (The False Fat Diet) that explains how they work, what to do about them and how you can overcome them in time.

But I do know that this doctor, that I still see once and month and whom I now adore, is expensive. It's $75 per visit, plus some supplements here and there. That's not chump change and I can understand if you just can't do that. Most people can't, I have been truly fortunate. But maybe I can help guide you through some things from afar. I actually do plan to pursue either Chinese Medicine or Naturopathy as a career, even if I am a little old for career changes. ;)

So again, feel free to email me or I'll keep checking this post. Just let me know what exactly you'd like to know and I'll be more than happy to share. I rarely get to talk to people who have asthma and work out like this and it's really kind of comforting in an odd way. Not that I want you to be wheezy, just sometimes makes you feel better knowing you're not alone.

So, what's your lifestyle like now? What's a day's meal menu like for you? What workouts do you do? Tell me about your asthma history, etc. I'd love to help you in any way I can.

I'm off to sleep!

Hi Lex and thanks for the super speedy reply. I will email you directly too.

I actually tried the Body Ecology Diet--for about 5 days :-rollen
And then I freaked out! I also have read the False Fat Diet and have somewhat tried to implement his suggestions. For example, I know I feel better without wheat and dairy, but I can't seem to keep it out altogether.

I had asthma as a child so it has been a constant. But it got dramatically worse when I was 18 when I developed a ton of allergies. I'm not sure why, but I had been smoking cigarrets
x( so that probably didn't help! (haven't done that since then though!). For a period in my 20's I was going to the emergency room 1-2 a year. One time my attack was so bad they doctor asked if the troop of med students could all listen it, and he said to them, "you don't often get to hear one this bad!" I guess he forgot that I was sitting right there.

My asthma got better 3-4 years ago which I contribute to a lot of things. One is the use of flovent, the inhaled steroids. Two is that I moved to Colorado and my allergy situation improved greatly. And last are lifestyle improvments--exercise and figuring out some allergy foods really helped me to monitor this.

Currently I use the flovent only about a couple times a week (I am supposed to do it daily), but I notice No difference in my symptoms if I use it daily or less than daily--so I don't do it. My symptoms never dissapear completely anyway.

I usually have to use my albuterol when I work out. I use it early on in my workout and then, usually, I am fine. Sometimes, I struggle a lot, though. I have been working out regularly since March of this year, and this is the first time in a long time that I have stuck with a program! For the last month or so I only managed to get in 4 workouts a week and that was kind of discouraging. But last week was 5 and this week has been consistent. I want to do 5-6 a week until Christmas and then I leave town for 3 weeks --where I hope to just maintian! I combine Firm, Cathe, Spinning, Nia (a dance/martial art blend that I take at my gym), outdoor stuff (hiking, running, biking), and yoga. I am pretty happy about the exercise thing, and feel confident that I am on the right (although looooooong) path to fitness and health.

Diet is tricky, of course. A good day looks like this: breakfast would be oatmeal with nuts, raisains, and soymilk; grapefruit juice. Lunch would be a salad and lentil or split pea soup, or maybe a turkey wrap. Dinner would be baked chicken, brown rice, steamed veggies, big salad. Snacks are fruit, soy protein shake, nuts and raisans you get the idea.

A bad looks like: breakfast bagle with cream cheese; lunch tuna salad sandwich with potato chips, dinner eating out maybe thai food--fried rolls, too sweet noodles, who know's what in the sauces. Snacks are chips, cookies... Oh, and too much coffee.

And truth be told, I fluctuate in between these. I am perfectly happy eating clean--but it doesn't seem to last. And as I said above, I am worse for eating wheat and dairy, so starting off a day with a bagle and cream cheese is a bad beginning.

I am very interested in natural healing. I have tried accupunture, chiropractic, various herbs, etc. And I get some help, but never long lasting.

I am willing to pay $ if it works. If I found someone who helped me I would find the money (especially if I can save on not buying meds!), BUT what limits me is shopping around for someone--if they aren't going to work,, then I feel reluctant to get started, you know? I live in a very alternative health town (Boulder, CO) so I could certainly find someone.

Have you ever heard of NAET--it is an allergy elimination technique that many people sing the praises of.

Thank you for your offers of help. I didn't mean to write a book here! I was saddened to hear about your granny.

cindy

OK, I have to write my husband's story. He is 50 years old and had taken steroids and asthma meds all of his life. A few years ago I was diagnosed with arthritis. I fought the symtoms with all I had, but it was winning. My husband would land at least 2 ER trips a year with asthma. We have been allergy and asthma free, and I arthritis free and virtually no meds for over two years. We use a totally non-invasive, holistic, homeopathic product. He still carries all his drugs in a ziploc to show people his freedom when they ask. So, I know you want to know more and I encourage you to completey investigate this complimentary alternative technology. My website is www.5pillars.com/royalaltops. Come visit sign the guest book and email me from there. I am telling you, my husband was allergic to his own sweat, animals, pollins, house dust, and a number of other things and I have not heard a wheeze in over two years! I am not trying to push product, I just cannot keep my mouth shut! Good luck, I hope you check this out. if you have questions, please email me. Sue

Hey, I hope your turkey day was great, I know ours was. We spent it at our adopted new home of LA with our friends. It was way less stressful than the whole family thing, you know?

I, too, used to be in the ER so often, in my early 20s, that I literally knew the staff there pretty well. That's bad. They were cool people and all but not the way I want to make friends!

This will be kind of short for me, it's pretty late and I have to get up early tomorrow. But I did read your letter and my first observation was about the examples you gave of a good day and bad day's eating. Don't take this the wrong way, but even the list you posted of the good day had some pitfalls. I am a rigid believer in food combining as THE most important element of a healthy diet and getting proper nutrition. If you read the Body Ecology book you must be at least somewhat familiar with combining and it's honestly not that hard once you get into a routine where you have a handful of meals and snacks figured out.

For instance, mixing soy milk with oatmeal means you aren't digesting that food, which is feeding yeast and parasites and depriving you of a lot of vitamins. But I'm guessing you know that kind of stuff already, you sound like you've done a lot of reading and research yourself.

I can't say enough about the Body Ecology plan. I know it's hard and I know that getting through the first 10 days is the worst. I felt like once I got past that point I was ok, but up until then I felt like I had the flu, I was cranky, I had unimaginable cravings, I was all itchy and my heartburn was worse than ever...it was god awful. I have no idea what kept me going but I believed in my doctor's advice, I guess. Whatever it was, getting past the 10 day mark seemed to be like getting over a hump for me. From the way you describe your diet, it sounds like, if this has been consistently inconsistent for a while, you probably do have an inner ecology imbalance. Most people do, it's what the typical american diet supports, unfortunately. But if you really want to achieve that feeling of true health and energy and feeling "clean" and strong, I think this kind of cleansing is the key. So think about tackling it again, or at the very least about implementing food combining into your life. It's not that hard to do or learn and it makes an amazing difference in your overall health, digestion and even your immune system. It completely changed me, honestly.

Since my granny died I got so sloppy about food. I'd gotten to the point where I could eat bad stuff with no effects and I just went too far. Now my asthma has been flaring up big time and I know it's from food. So as of this morning, I'm back to BED myself. I'm cooknig up a big batch of millet (which I LOVE with fresh dill and carrots for dinner or lunch) and I'm taking my probiotics twice per day and drinking loads of water. If you want, we can do this together, be a buddy or support system for one another? Just let me know. I certainly wouldn't hold it against you if you didn't but I had to offer!

So, have a wonderful day and we'll chat again soon!

You're wheezy new friend,
Lex

Cindy- Flovent

Hey Cindy. I am in the same boat as you all are with the whole asthma deal. I have done the diets and know they work, but sticking to them is stinking tough because (1) it is expensive and (2) you have to go to the grocery store a lot and cook alot.
I started the yeast/diet control eating strategy about 5 years ago and (1) got off all my meds and (2) lost about 60 lbs. The weight stayed off for 3 years or so, then about 20 has snuck back on this past year or so and my health has slipped back as I have gotten less and less strict with my eating.
I have to go on the Flovent too,occasionally, and always gain weight just from that. Just a word of caution...I did what you did and my Doctor just about flipped..told me taking a squirt here and than was way worse on my system and he would rather me not take it at all. He cautioned my that not following the strict dosing of steroids is very dangerous and can really mess up your system. Please be careful about that... :)
It is so hard to eat right and fly right and I really trully understand. Even tho I feel so good when I do it, sometimes life happens and you fall off the health wagon. I am facing the whole gotta detox and start eating right again and going through carbo withdrawals, ye ya ya.
Keep trying those sensible, allergy sensitive rotation eating plans. You have to be diligent, but they truly work. I am committed to climbing back on that health wagon again by my sister's wedding in July, when I have to travel to allergy-hell Southern California. I hope you will too! Good luck.

RE: Cindy- Flovent

wow, I actually found my allergies improved tremendously when I moved from Chicago to LA, much to my surprise. I guess the Chicago climate was way worse for me than the air out here. But we're lucky we don't live in any of the valleys, they have horrible air quality.

All great advice you gave, especially about the flovent. Every time I see a doctor it's like they try to get me on a steroid inhaler. I faithfully took Vanceril for a year and it did NO good whatsoever and I lost health rather than gained any. The idiots used to have me doing Vanceril and Intal and I was still in the ER all the time. It never occured to any of these "doctors" that it could be food allergy related. I remember vividly being in the ER for asthma, again, and after my 3 breathing treatments and IV steroid dose the brought me breakfast; cereal, MILK! and a banana. Morons gave me a mucous producing food while I was in asthma crisis. And that was a great hospital, supposedly. Blows my mind now but I didn't know better than. Now I know that not only are dairy products mucous-forming in my body, but that my blood type doesn't digest them well and I have allergic reactions to them if I have them more than once in a blue moon.

Like Kristina said, it is hard to do the cleansing diets, they do require enormous discpline, lots of planning, shopping and cooking, but the rewards are unbelievable. You have to experience it to believe it. And even if you fall off the wagon once in a while, it's still well worth it to keep trying. Your body will still benefit a lot.

And look at how much support you can get on here from fellow wheezers like us!

Take care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.