Legs in Mesocycle 3

faith4us

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

I am loving the results I am getting from STS. I can't wait to start it all over again.

I am one week into Mesocycle 3. I did Plyo legs this week. I really liked the workout but it kind of messed up my back. So I got out the squat rack routine and thought I might do that one but it looks like it would hurt my back too. Plus I don't have anything to cover my bar with to put it up on my shoulders nor do I have a weighted vest.

I was just curious if any of you have done something different for legs during Mesocycle 3. Any ideas of alternatives? I even though of going back and doing legs from Mesocycle 2.

Thanks!

Tracy

I did squat rack legs after plyo messed with my knee big time (I got through week 2 before I realized I couldn't do #3!) I do have a bar pad. They aren't that expensive - $12-15. It is worth it. I only have Cathe's 10# vest so what I did was use one of my daughter's backpacks and loaded it up with plate weights so that my bar was 40-45# max (I can't lift more than that over my head without tweaking my shoulder.) It worked like a charm. You might see if you have anything like that to use. Just don't use the weights for deadlifts or anything that has you bending over or you really will hurt your back.

Yes - the bar pad is a definite worth it thing to have. Some say it actually is worse to use one but I say whatever! The squat rack routine did not give me any issues at all and I went very heavy. Do you have enough weight to load the bar up with? Personally, I did not wear the vest b/c it sort of got in the way for squats, etc with the bar on my back. You could also use DBs instead of the bar if that would work better for you. It makes the moves a little different though, but no big deal - just be sure to work what you are supposed to be working and not let the DBs mess with your center of gravity.

Barbell

I wrapped an old towel (not a huge bath towel, but one bigger than a hand towel, it was actually a Christmas decor one). I wrapped it and taped it down. Works like a charm. I also bought the Mir 40# weighted vest that wasn't full length because I knew it would be hard to bend with it. It goes to just below my rib cage. It was expensive but worth it.

i'm doing the weighted vest option because the creaky old floors in our old house can't take too much plyo :) i end up waking up the whole house at 6:00 am when i workout.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I am going to try the squat rack routine instead of plyo legs on Wednesday.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.