KPC...not that hard?

Bellatheball

I have about 10-12 Cathe videos and each one manages to kick my butt. I've heard so many great things about KPC so I just got it in the mail. It was a ton of fun to do but it was a much easier workout for me than all of the others (exception: some of the ab work). It's the first video where I've seen Cathe look like she was working really hard though. Has anyone else had that experience? Or, am I doing something wrong.:p

Hi,

The only thing I can say is you get out of it what you put into it. Try putting more intensity behind your moves and it should be more challenging.

>The only thing I can say is you get out of it what you put
>into it. Try putting more intensity behind your moves and it
>should be more challenging.

ITA with this.

I think we can all make a workout easier or kick butt. I've had days were you just don't put it all into the the workout. Yesterday was by far was my best KPC ever! It was very exihilarating. After the warm-up,every punch was executed with the thrust a punch should be thrown. Every kick was head high. Jump kicks were a least one foot off the ground. It was total mind and body connection. My husband is black belt and has taught classes for years. He is quite an inspriation and has really taught me correct form and execution.

Next time you do this workout, in the warm-up Cathe shows how the punches and kicks, which when properly done will give you the most benefit. Maybe when you did this workout last time, it was just one of those days where you did not put all of your umpf into the workout.

Dianne

I have found all of Cathe's kickbox workouts to be easier cardiovascular-wise and I bust butt and don't fudge at all.

I just can't get a sustained aerobic heart rate in the kickbox videos.

Kick Max's first four drills are very easy, but the Blast is very challenging cardio-wise. But the Challenge really does not last that long.

That said, I love what the kickbox workouts do for my body.

Oddly, the Cross Train Express Kick Box is the one that always leaves me with the most DOMs and it is not really a huge cardio challenge.

So you are not doing anything wrong unless I am too.

Form aside, I find kickbox videos to be intermediate for me and nowhere as much a cardiovascular challenge as some of her other videos.

And I agree, the abs in Kick Punch and Crunch are killer, but the rest of the video is not hard at all.

Amy, I couldn't have said it better. I've done Kathy Smith's Aerobox several times before and that TOTALLY kicks my butt. Otherwise most Kickboxing type videos don't. It's good to see I'm not alone.

I think kickboxing may sometimes feel less intense, without necessarily being so, because the effort is split between upper and lower body. More muscles are working, so even if the individual muscles are not working as hard as they would be with a step workout, for example, the net intensity to the body can be the same or more. (The same is true for functional weight workouts: though one uses lighter weights, and the moves might not seem as intense, because they are spread out among many more muscles, they can be as intense for the body---and are said to burn more calories because of that).

That being said, I think that another reason for KB not being as intense for some may be form. Punching with just the arms uses much less intensity than using the whole body to punch with (starting with the push-off from the floor, with the energy going through the legs, into the hips, through the core and into the upper body). Also, it's very easy to punch and kick with the correct form, but a lack of power. And that power, in my experience, comes mainly in the recoil. Try to get the punch/kick back in as fast as you can (also safer on the joints than concentrating on sending the punch out, which can lead to locking the joint and joint trauma). Imagine punching into a flame---and you don't want to get burned. Or think of your hand as a snake's or frog's tongue, going out and in fast.

And make sure to do full punches (extend to about 95 degrees, and make sure hands come all the way in before the next punch) and kicks (chamber both on the out and in moves).

I noticed that in her earlier KB workouts, like CK and the KB on CTX, Cathe seems to find some of the upper body moves very intense, and even has us put our arms down at times to give the upper body a break. I assumed this was because it was a type of workout that was fairly new to her, and when your body hasn't adapted to a certain way of using it, it's tougher.

I thought so, too, the 1st time. I thought "this is what all the ufss is about??" Then the 2nd time it was a lot tougher. I think because I knew what was coming, so everything flowed smoothly without having to figure out what I was doing. It def gets my heart rate up now, but mostly in the 3 combos. I think its all the jump kicks.

Nan

I have done a Kathy Smith video in years!

I used to love her workouts!

So her Aerobox is a hard workout?

Where did you buy it -- at Collage?

I have been thinking all day today about why Kickbox DVDs don't get my heart rate going as well as other cardio workouts, and I think it is because of what you said in your first paragraph, Kathryn.

I think you are dead right on about the effort being split between upper and lower body moves.

I did Circuit Max tonight and the kickbox parts of that video are very difficult and keep me in my training zone -- but they are more dynamic than Cathe's pure kickbox videos.

When I first began using Kick Max, I was trying to figure out why it was billed as very intense. The first four drills are hardly worth my time.

But......

I will never say that Kick Max's Challenge is not killer, it is. The first time I did that part, I thought I would need to call 911!

The Leg Conditioning Drills are excellent, although they are not what I consider a cardiovascular workout.

Your form tips are good too. You must like kickbox a lot since you know so much about it.

I agree with kathryn. When I started really concentrating on form and power, coming from my whole body, not just my arms, the intensity went up. That said, I would like to try to up it even more with some light-weighted gloves.

>I have done a Kathy Smith video in years!
>
>I used to love her workouts!
>
>So her Aerobox is a hard workout?
>
>Where did you buy it -- at Collage?
>
>

I don't honestly remember where I bought it (it's been years) but I've seen it on ebay recently. Kathy Smith is no where near as challenging as Cathe 99% of the time. Aerobox is one tape where Kathy really shines though. She has some boxer (Michael someone) teaching with her and it's a tough tape.

I found that kickboxing is less challenging from a cardiovascular point, but I get better results from doing it. Strange...
Lorrie

>So her Aerobox is a hard workout?
>
>Where did you buy it -- at Collage?
>
>
Aerobox is actually taught by Michael Olajide, and Kathy serves more as 'side-kick.' It is a fabulous boxing workout (Ojalide is a former lightweight boxer.) It's now available at www.collagevideo.com ---and probably at other places, like www.amazon.com --on DVD with Kathy's boxing workout, under the title "Cardio Knockout."

Olajide has his own Aerobox workout that is three rounds of punches. Doesn't sound so tough, but at the speed and intensity he does them, it gets to be.

Amy: if you're interested in the Kathy Smith/Olajide Aerobox, I have it on video (I replaced it with the DVD) and would be happy to send it to you for a SASE. Just PM me and let me know.

>>Try adding 1-3 pound hand weights to your kickbox workouts.

I defintely would NOT recommend starting with over 1#, and work up to it, not using the weights for the warm-up or cool-down (ever), and starting with 10 minutes of weights, then dropping them. And definitely don't add weights until you get the form down, especially not locking the elbows with the punches. Otherwise, you could set yourself up for some elbow problems.

I didn't know he had a video on his own. I'm off to look for it. That guy really managed to kick my butt. I first did Aerobox when I was training for a marathon and still lifting heavy at the gym (meaning I was in awesome shape) and it still managed to drain me.

That is really nice of you, Kathryn.

If you will Private Message me with your address, I will get a SASE to you as fast as I can!

Thank you for being so nice -- no wonder you are so popular here!

I don't think adding weight to moves that are dynamic are a safe idea for me.

I have recovered from a bad rotator cuff and tennis elbow and I don't want to risk that again.

Since ankle weights are not safe for dynamic moves on the floor, I don't think they would be safe for dynamic moves with the arms.

I am applying this theory only to mysrlf. I am not dissing anyone else for what they find effective.

I am not here to slam others' ideas.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.