Kettlenetics?

Nadja Z

Cathlete
Has anyone tried this? I'm curious as to how hard it is. It seems like anyone used to Cathe wouldn't get much out of it, although simultaneous resistance and cardio can be surprisingly difficult sometimes.

Also, the "swinging" frightens me a little. I'm usually pretty careful with my neck and back; this seems like it'd be easy to torque something in a bad way.

Yes Leanne, it's a cardio work out using a very light kettlebell (maybe 4 or 5 pounds). I saw a brief portion of an infomercial for it. It looks like a good thing for beginner exercisers but if you are advanced and interested in the bells, I'd suggest going and buying a much heavier bell and a much BETTER dvd!

JMHO ofcourse.:)

Oops, I should've included a link. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcWHbqZYEOg

I think I'd be tempted to use a weight that was too heavy for me to be swinging around like that, to try to make it more challenging. Plus I guess I'm wary of a technique that seems to utilize momentum so much. Usually I spend my whole workout fighting momentum. Is there this much swinging in a regular kettlebell workout?

I'm wondering if there's something to the "netics" part of the name- if it's in any way like Callanetics, Squeeze, or Pure Barre (workouts that look deceivingly easy) - or if it's just a wussy version of a kettlebell workout.

-Nadja

>Yes Leanne, it's a cardio work out using a very light
>kettlebell (maybe 4 or 5 pounds). I saw a brief portion of an
>infomercial for it. It looks like a good thing for beginner
>exercisers but if you are advanced and interested in the
>bells, I'd suggest going and buying a much heavier bell and a
>much BETTER dvd!
>
>JMHO ofcourse.:)

Ah, I've already caved in to the lure of the kettlebells! ;-) Thanks for the info, though, Wendy! :)

Nadja, this does seem like it's faster and has more swinging than a regular KB workout. Like Wendy said, you might be better off just buying a regular KB workout since it'll be more challenging. :)

Jerry, would your wife be able to try a regular KB workout, too? :)

"I'm thinking about getting this for my wife, she seemed intrigued by it when we watched the infomercial."

Be sure to post back if you do! I think I'm hesitant to try it because of the fact that there is an infomercial for it. Seems infomercial stuff is usually for beginners. Did you mention in a different post (re: Leslie Sansone maybe?) that you hope someday your wife will join you in a Cathe workout, or was that someone else? If she is more of a beginner, this might be great for her. But of course you'd have to try it with her and let us know how it goes!

My main question is whether it utilizes more isometrics to compensate for the lower weight, or if it's just dancy kettlebell with low weights.

Nadja

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.