KettleBell Workout

wonderwoman

Cathlete
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good workout. I would like to try something new and different. I'm not new to working out but new to KettleBells. I'm looking for something effective pretty intense but simple.
Thanks

Not to everyone's taste, but I like Bob Harper's. I have both a strength and a cardio one, and I love doing them - no dread. Each are just under an hour, and I consider them metabolic workouts.
Justine

The Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning with Kettlebells DVD with Lauren Brooks

This dvd has 2 work outs on it. One is 40 mins and one is under 15. Great work outs that aren't hard to follow.

I've just recently started into KB's myself. The workouts I have enjoyed so far are.....

Bob Harper's as noted above. I am not a fan of this guy but really really enjoy these two workouts. They are expensive at Target but practically half price through Mary when you add 10% off and buy during one of her sales. Length is around 3/4 hour

I am loving Amy Dixon on Fitnessglo. You can stream for free for 2 weeks (I think) to try it out. Then, it's $12/mth. I kept it - for now.

I really like Providence - that's a goodie. Time Flies with this one. Under 1 hour.

I have Lauren Brooks' newest one. It's expensive but effective. 3 approx. 22 minute segments so can use as add on's.

Angie Miller's is a good one too - straight forward but also effective. under 1 hour

I have a couple of BJ Gaddour workouts (Love this guy) - 30 minutes

Paul Katami's one for beginners is actually really good. I don't do the instructional workout but the other two are great. I also have his KB drills - a few twisty moves that I do not like in this one but it's good. his workouts are around 25 minutes each - or so.

Amy Dixon Raise some Bell - I like this one but I really like Amy Dixon.

Brook Benten is.... well you sure get your sweat on and her dvd's are fairly inexpensive however..... hmmm, how do I say this politely - she does not strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed so many of her comments bother me like "do more cardio for less lardio". That said - her workouts are pretty good.

By the way - if you live in a big city try the library. I got Paul Katami and Angie Miller from my local library. I also got all of Leah Sarago's dvds, lots of yoga, pilates (kristen mcgee), KCM etc... So many finds at the library.

If I think of any others I will edit the post.

I hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Kettlebell Scorcher series is very good as well if you don't mind circuit style with lighter bells for more of a cardio effect. There are 4 DVD's with 3 being around 35-45 minutes, then one is shorter and focuses on the core. I also like Art of Strength as there is very clear instructions on form - Kettlebell way and Newport are my favorites - and Anthony isn't too hard to look at either! I do have Kettlebell lightning with Lauren Brooks but never really warmed up to her for some reason and I find the short 15 minute segments for upper/ lower/ core just too short for my liking. Hope that helps.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good workout. I would like to try something new and different. I'm not new to working out but new to KettleBells. I'm looking for something effective pretty intense but simple.
Thanks

Hi there,

You have had good recommendations from cathletes. I would advise you choose a program providing you with a instructional dvd from an instructor visually holding a correct form.

I recall posting a thread asking the same question few month ago, I was not new to kb though.:):)

Here is the link of my thread:

http://cathe.com/forum/f97/paul-katami-bob-harper-kettlebell-workout-293624/

All the very best,

Last edited:
Weight suggestions?

Hi Everyone
I'm interested in starting kettle bells too. What weights do you typically need for Bob Harper and the others?
Thanks!

Hi Everyone
I'm interested in starting kettle bells too. What weights do you typically need for Bob Harper and the others?
Thanks!

It depend on your fitness level. Start with light weight to be safe depending on how strong your wrist and shoulders are. Most of kb moves require shoulder assistance.:)

All the best,

Hi - I use an 8kg (17.6lb) for Bob Harper - even though I could go a bit heavier for the swings, I feel it's about right for the bicep curls and clean and presses etc.
Justine

I have 10, 15, 20 & 25LB bells. As Nckfitheart2009 said it really depends on your level and also what kind of workout your doing. Strength or endurance.

Last edited:
I have tried Skogg before and I enjoy his instructional DVD and roots. There are also 3 or 4 others but I haven't ever gotten that deep into the program, but his DVD set is great.

Skogg is great for beginners to learn proper form. There are only 6 moves to learn. A little expensive but it was worth it to me.
Amazon.com: SKOGG System Kettlebell Workout 5 DVD Set: Michael Skogg: Movies & TV

There are 4 different workouts (not including the beginning 101 workout). And each workout has 4 levels (which means they are just longer).

Do you know anything about the Skogg at home DVDs? He has 2 of them. I wonder if they are an addition to, extension of, more advanced workouts than the basic Skogg system?

Clare

I started with a 15 pound KB. I also have 20, 25 and a 10 (which is only for very specific moves e.g. abs or a faster paced KB workout). I plan on getting a 30 and a 35 - eventually as my DH has been doing some of my new KB workouts. I go to fitness depot to buy my kb's as they are $1.20/pound - wayyy cheaper for me than walmart, target or other sporting good stores. I'm in Canada.

Do you buy as a pair?

I did receive a few as gifts but they seem light so I'm thinking I need heavier. From the workouts I see, it looks like it's better to buy only one of each weight. Am I right?

I asked my library to purchase those two skogg dvds. They are processing them now; hopefully I will be able to tell you about then in the near future.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.