Kettlebell help

amybajamy

Cathlete
Yay, I just bought my first kettlebell today! I'm planning on buying either Lauren Brook's DVD or AOS, but for now I've been looking at the ironcore DVD that came with the kettlebell. It's a gofit by the way. Anyway I bought the 20lb and I'm wondering if it's too heavy. I agonized over whether to buy the 15 or the 20 lb. I really wanted an 18, but gofit doesn't make an 18 and I was too impatient to look for another brand on another day. Anyway when I do cleans I can't seem to keep the bell from banging my forearm. The DVD had some pointers about that, but they didn't help, so I'm wondering if it's too heavy or if I just need to practice. Also I did presses after that and the weight of the kettlebell resting on my forearm hurt my arm too. It wasn't banging my arm, just resting there. Do you think I need a lighter kettlebell?

I did the tukish get ups with an 8 lb dumbell. Those are hard! I need to practice them without any weight. :)

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

I had the same problem and this is what helped me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeVQ8_HmvxI

I practiced it over and over and over again, and now when I clean I don't bang anything and it feels fluid and smooth. I don't think you need a lighter bell, I just think that the banging has caused some bruising that would hurt if something just rested on it no matter how much it weighed. Been there, done that too. ;)

I hope that link really helps you. :)

Melissa

That is a great link, Lauren is top notch when it comes to form! I haven't tried AOS, but I love Lauren's workouts for many reasons. She's RKC certified, has great form/technique, demos on her DVD's and youtube, and she has a smokin' body! I especially like the 12 minute fat blast, which I do when I'm short on time, or do it twice when I want more. I like that she has the counter so you can see where you're at, and sometimes I take the breaks and sometimes I do cardio through them if I'm feeling strong that day. You can't go wrong with Lauren.

As far as the weight, I'm going to say for me, it's worked well to have a 15, 20 and 25 lb depending on the exercise. Some days my back doesn't allow me to use the heavier weight, or say I can swing with 25 lb, but I can't one arm press 25#, so I need to change wt. For me, learning proper form with lower weight is helpful, then progressing from there.

Happy swinging!

Melissa,
Thanks for the great link, that really helped! I get it now, I just need to practice more.

Sandra,
I'm going to order Lauren's DVD right now! I'll think I'll order her first one and then later I can buy her second one if I like the first one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.