Kettlebell Exercises

jansherman

Cathlete
I just got my first kettlebell and workout dvd (Iron Core #2). It gives several exercises, which I've mastered. I have also ordered the Extreme Kettlebell Workout from Dragondoor, but it hasn't arrived yet. As I search different sites I'm finding so many different exercises for kettlebells, but I'm not sure what they are. Can anyone recommend a book, dvd, or website that can give me info. on the exercises - what they're called and what they look like? I'm loving this so far, but want more, more, more!!! Thanks!!!

Kettlebells are my new subjects of love too. I've just received today Steve Cotter Encyclopedia of Kettlebells Series. Great education about forms, modifications, etc,. I love Steve, he is an excellent teacher, and can explain very clearly the idea behind each exercise.
Te other really good investment I made is the Strength of Art series, so far I have Providence and Newport.
I also have the Extreme Kettlebell Cardio from Dragondoor, and I like it a lot, but some moves a little too fast for me, I have to work on my form first before I can do that fast. But I do like it a lot.
I've also ordered the Enter the Kettlebell book/DVD combo, and I'm looking forward to getting them, I happen to like Pavel's style also.
Hope this helps from another kettlebell lover! Mari

Mari,

Thanks so much for the info. Where did you get the Steve Kotter Encyclopedia of Kettlebells? I almost ordered the Enter the Kettlebell stuff but wasn't sure - now I think I'll get it. Thanks again!

I will second (third) Anthony of Art of Strength! He puts out some of the best work along videos. I just did AOS Firepower and it kicked my butt. But it was a blast. But start with Providence.

I would also recommend Enter the Kettlebell for a great background on kettlebells. Form is so critical to avoid injury, so make sure you have that down. Swings are from the hip - you snap your hips with every swing.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Extreme Kettlebell. If you have your form down, do it, but I have gotten some not-so-happy muscle pain from this. Because he moves so fast, you need to make sure your fully understand arm and shoulder blade placement for windmills and overhead squats (I've been known to use a heavier kb and keep it in a clean position - overhead squats are tough for me). And go lighter that you think you need the first time. But if he goes too fast, slow down and take your time. This workout is guaranteed to kick my butt.

I know the AOS's are expensive, but I highly recommend them. The first time I did Providence, I thought, "Okay, so this is what kettlebell training is supposed to be."

I have been doing Kettel Bell training for 4 months now. WOW - I have learned so much in that time. They are definitely, the most aawesome workouts I can do -cardio, strength and flexibility all in one workout.

Yes, form is crucial - I purchased Steve Cotters KB Encyclopedia when I started the KB training and also his X-Treme Kettle bell DVD, which has four DVD's in it. I have come a long ways with these workouts, but I have a long way to go also. I can tell I am improving because I am getting faster and upping my weights.

I don't really feel like this is a phase for me - for I enjoy this kind of training over barbells, or hand weights. I also purchased the X-Treme KB wokrout by Keith Weber which is a great workout, too. He does move fast in some fo the exercises.

It seemed to take me forever to get down the turkish get ups and to get the windmill down well. Steve Cotter's encyclopedia has helped me on this. This is a 7 hour tutorial. He gives so many tips - he even gives you stretches to prepare muscles and spine to do the exercises. I love the stretch he does before doing the windmill. I don't think one can ever have too much information when it comes to KB training.

I, also, get great DOMS from it - where it never seemed like I did before. Which is a good thing, I guess.

Cheryl

Thanks for all of the recommendations, everyone! I got a 25# for V-day and really need some actual workouts to follow with it.

Actually I was so happy yesterday. After watching Steve Cotter's encyclopedia I finally got my turkish get up right. That's one great and useful material.

Thank you all so much for the info. Based on your advice, I've narrowed it down to getting either the Steve Cotter Encyclopedia or Enter the Kettlebell. I'm catching on pretty quickly, but want to be sure my form is good so I don't get hurt. My shoulder still stings a little from my attempts at the Turkish Get-Up.;(

Which one would you suggest if I can only afford one (for now)?

Thx!!

Jan

Enter the Kettlebell is the "Bible" of kettlebell training. I've never used Steve Cotter's Encyclopedia but I've heard incredible things about it.

For Turkist Get Up and Windmills, the key is to "lock" your shoulder blade in the down and back position. I've heard that people practice with a cup of water - the idea being to not spill the water as you get up. I started with a 5 pound dumbbell (this one you can do with dumbbells as well) in order to get the exercise down, and increased weight over time. Now I can do a set of 5 on each side with a 15 pound kb. Oh it gets my HR up, but I can do it. :p

Thanks, guys! I'll practice locking the shoulder with light dumbbells. When I watched it done on the video I thought it looked pretty easy. WRONG!!! :D

Here is a 10# Kettlebell I found at Walmart for $21.75...would it work just to start out? They seem sooo expensive but I thought this price was reasonable. Would I outgrow 10# very quickly??? (I know it is all relative to how strong a person is. I normally can match Cathe in a lot of her workouts or slightly lighter as a guide.)

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/65/46/02/74/0065460274234_215X215.jpg

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

I think it would work perfectly to start out. I started with a 15lb., and it's still plenty challenging for me. I started to buy a 25#, but the guy at Dick's Sporting Goods explained why I should start out lighter (and I'm glad I did). I normally match Cathe pretty closely also, but because of the amount of time you spend with the kettlebell above your head, or swinging it, and considering a lot of the exercises are done one side at a time, I think 10# would be fine to start with as you learn the basics. I overestimated by kettlebell abilities, and got humbled pretty quickly. :eek:

Jan

Thanks Jan! That helps a lot. Now, to decide where to start???

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Uhhhh - Ohhhh --- Mama D! Do I hear you caving? HA! I got a 15# and a 20# and I find myself reaching for the 20 more often. I've got 3 DVDs - Sarah's Iron Core (vol 1), AOS-Providence, and Kettlebell Goddess. Like 'em all for diff reasons. Also - I LOVE my itread & tush workout which is an interval session on and off the TM. In the 1st off the TM section Grace calls for side to side lunges and then mountain climbers. Instead of the mountain climbers I pick up my kb and pound out 2-handed swings - ugh!!! Gets me much more than those mountain climbers every time. LOVE it!

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

>Uhhhh - Ohhhh --- Mama D! Do I hear you caving? HA! I got
>a 15# and a 20# and I find myself reaching for the 20 more
>often. I've got 3 DVDs - Sarah's Iron Core (vol 1),
>AOS-Providence, and Kettlebell Goddess. Like 'em all for diff
>reasons. Also - I LOVE my itread & tush workout which is an
>interval session on and off the TM. In the 1st off the TM
>section Grace calls for side to side lunges and then mountain
>climbers. Instead of the mountain climbers I pick up my kb
>and pound out 2-handed swings - ugh!!! Gets me much more than
>those mountain climbers every time. LOVE it!
>
>Lorrie
>
>www.picturetrail.com/lsass

That's a genius idea!

I have two DVD's so far - Sarah's Iron Core Workout (Vol. 2), and Extreme Kettlebell. I did the Iron Core first - it gave some great form pointers. Also, I watched all of the Art of Strength Minute of Strength clips online. I learned sooo much from them! I ordered Enter the Kettlebell (book & dvd) so that I can be sure as I progress that I'm doind everything correctly. I got some great advice from this thread, and that is to practice locking your shoulder into your lat, then practice with a light dumbbell on the overhead things, like Turkish Getups, Windmills, or overhead squats and lunges. This helped immensely!

Jan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.