just bit of a rant about micheal savage

ldy_solana

Cathlete
you know i never seen 100% eye to eye with the man but at least he could make a valid debate at times. i didn't agree with him on his gay stance as well as few political views but he has finally crossed the line. picking on kids with serious developmental disorders and their stressed out parents.

how dare he accuse parents of children with autism of not doing their job and making their kids "brats". if anything i have been told i am to strict on my daughter. well my house my rules but you know she was taught at a young age why i made the rules. while it takes a little more time to teach viola, it still got through. i can't remember how many times i have had to give something up b/c it had to go to viola. i gave up my chance to go back to college to stay at home and help my daughter to get where she is now with therapy. i have NO social life not b/c of viola so much b/c i made the choice for becoming a den leader for our special needs scouts,b/c in my area these children have little to nothing that doesn't cost parents more then they could afford. my husband at times works two jobs b/c we receive very little help with her needs just b/c how insurance(even state insurance) set their policies for care. and my story is nowhere as bad as those with more severe cases. at least my daughter can talk although she is behind her peers, she can go to school although needs extra assistance and sometimes has to be out of a regular class all together. i am sorry i did my job as a parent as well as the millions of others that fight that same fight every morning to get the routine going.

not saying EVERY parent is perfect. some just cannot handle the everyday screaming b/c of sounds,sights,even smells so bother the oversensitive senses of the kids. some hand handle that they can't just "snap" their kids out of the behaviors that make it hard to just even hug them. my daughter didn't even say "i love you mommy" until she was 7 years old. she didn't really talk until she was 6.

he is entitled to an opinion. god bless america but he has to really do his homework before he spats off his mouth about a serious condition that didn't get much press until recent years b/c more new diagnosing measures, increase in diagnosis, and that fact most of the children also have other medical conditions like digestive issues,seizures, speech problems, and some mental diagnosis(i have a few in my scout troop that may be border line bi-polar and of the like).

as if parents to carry the burden enough of "how did this happen","was it something i took or ate when pregnant" etc that you have to actually turn around and blame them on air to the whole country.

my dh was a fan but i told him i just don't approve of him anymore. i am a little disappointed in dh for not taking our side 100%. i know its free country and ppl can say what they want but i for one will not let this man drag ppl in the mud when so many still dont' understand autism and other developmental conditions, and he is filling their heads with ideas that just simply aren't true.

i could agree however some diagnosis may not be autism(just like the big ADD boom in the 90s) but i really don't see this being such a large number of cases that would cause him to be so angry about it.

if he wants anger, try getting viola near an amusement park with bright lights and loud noises. sure to us its not an issue but sensory processing and hyper sensitive senses will set a child like her into a frenzy.

so although i can cuss on the boards guess which finger this mom of an autistic parent is giving micheal savage. :mad:

for those that got through all thank you so much. its hard enough to get through the world with days where you can't even get a shower without bigot homophobic , and now child bully putting your hard work down to the country.

kassia

Kassia, you sound like an angel. I mean it, most people haven't a clue what parents like you go through, and to volunteer on top of it- wow.

I guess there are three things that are permanent- death, taxes, and idiots like Savage. They'll always be around. I have faith that most sane people are seeing right through his stupidity and reacting exactly the same way you did.

All the best to you and your little one.

Where did the pic go btw? She's adorable!

nadja i still haven't figured out how to put it in my sig. i think it went away with the bugs but i am going to try it again in a bit. she likes when i came to the boards and posts she wanted to see "viola picture". we should have some new pics from scouts i would like to put some of those up.

the scouts have become our social circle LOL. its been very good for viola b/c socially it helps her come out and learn proper social cues which helps her when she is around the neuro-typical child(i hate to use the work "normal" child b/c really who is "normal" in this world we are all different LOL). one thing the church's pastor and i have said the just pure love the kids have. they don't see the clothes you wear, the toys you have, where you live, etc. they see a friend in ALMOST every child they meet. thats all they care about,somebody to connect with. if that is not true God's Love then i just don't know what it. plus if i can reach any child on community service its my pleasure to give my time. our kids have been learning a lot of community services,soon we will work on citizenship.

btw not to "brag" but i was appointed merit badge counselor for personal fitness!!! so i get the help the big boy scouts with that badge. i lead the learning for life girls in our group and we wrapped up healthy eating. after we get through camping(big trip coming up in two weeks) we should be working on fitness.

yeah lets see micheal savage deal with our group for a monday night!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! you really have to have an open mind and heart to work with them. understand everybody's different diagnosis. an open mind will teach you new things with these kids. i think the adults learn more then the kids at times. how great is that!!!

kassia

What a shame, Kassia, that you had to hear that and that Savage felt he was right in expressing that point of view. Even though I tend to be more conservative than liberal on most issues - I still think that guy is a lunatic.

You sound like a phenomenal Mom with a beautiful daughter. I miss her picture too. :)

I have no doubt he is going to regret (if he isn't already) his comments. We all have our moments of ignorance ~ too bad his are broadcasted to the nation.

Clearly you're a wonderful mom, and your daughter is lucky to have you. I can only imagine the amount of stress you and your family deals with every day, and yet you keep going. That's courage. That's admirable.

(We'll be your social circle. :) )

thanks gals :D i wish i could say i could earn the "mother of the year" award but i am sure i am far from perfect. i have anxiety disorders too so i alot of time dh has to separate me into the bedroom to relax. getting better at doing it myself, b/c i don't want anything in my personality and inability to handle certain stresses to reflect on viola or have her feel SHE did it when its just my handling of times.

mr savage has been fired before for his comments(the time he took a call from a person who was gay and man did he lay into that poor person). while i am not in it for him to be fired i think a few nights with screaming "brats" as he calls them and good punch in a face from parents that haven't had more then 4 hours sleep in a week,just so they can release LOL. not that i should advocate beating somebody up but sometimes one good knock in the head get their attention.

his new thing is he as a degree in medical science. good for him, i took anatomy and health courses in collage and workout does that make me a personal trainer? no and it would be ignorant of me to act like it too. sometimes ignorance and stupidity just thinks its okay b/c somebody gives them a big platform to be ignorant and stupid on. they fire imus for more mild comments then this(right or wrong they were no where near this level), this guy just floored me with phrases like "moron","cut the act out" etc. thats not right to say to ANY child let alone one that knows they are different and haven't a concept as to why.

still seems many in society have a lot to learn about understanding and acceptance. i will add him to the prayer list of other ppl that need a little love in their heart, its all i can do other then venting LOL.

kassia

I read Mr Savage's ( or should I say Mr Weiner, I guess you wouldn't go to far in showbiz with a name like that) ramblings about autism.

My son is far from undisciplined, Eagle Scout, Brown belt Shojin Ryu karate, heck, 2008 AAU National champion in Kumite and Kubodo. Yep my wife and I are slackers!

Mr Weiner should suit us his sorry undisciplined butt and come to the dojo and see what my "brat" son could do to him.

He ranted that 99% of autistic people are misdiagnosed and they are just brats. He probably doesn't know 100 "autistic" people to be able to discount 99 of them.

Aflac pulled his sponsorship, hopefully the other sponsors will do likewise. What an A**HOLE!

Dave
Proud dad of an autistic person!!!!

Oh God, none of us are perfect in any department, let alone parenting! Those of us who are smart and open to it though will let our kids teach us, humble us, and eventually strengthen us.

I wonder if Savage has kids. If so, I wonder if he's managed to learn anything.

hi fives to dave. i have read several posts on the topic since your kids are older then mine. its amazing what a little perseverance can push our kids to succeed. consistency is so important with our kids and my hat off to you dave. you have helped your kids achieve things i am still in beginning stages of working with viola on.

i doubt he has learned anything http://www.nndb.com/people/588/000044456/

here is a little profile info about. how hateful can one person be? oh he is right with freedom of speech but as my dad says "freedom of speech also comes with freedom of responsibility".

kassia

Holy cow. That link explains a lot.

Weiner should be the poster child for what happens when one denies and then hates who one truly is.

Kassia--

(((hugs)))

I'm pretty conservative, but I cannot listen to Savage as all he does is rant and rave, so this is the first I've heard of this.

I know how hard it is to be critized as a parent. I've shared with you before that I have a little boy with down syndrome, so I'm familiar with the whole special needs parenting thing. I get judged a lot because he is basically non-verbal, despite the fact that we work with him very hard. I've become quite the mother bear over the whole thing.

Anyway--it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job with little Viola and no one can take that away. I'm moved by the amount of sacrifice you've made to help her. Hang in there, stay focused, and don't listen to those who have no understanding of what you are going through.

take care
Maggie

Home Depot pulled their ads. A few stations are dropping his broadcast.

The sad part is there are people out there who believe the things jerks like this say, I visited his website and it is nothing but self promotion, he actually asks people to donate to him.

I wonder if the CEO of NBC Universal, Bob Wright ( an active autism advocate) is going to stay quiet on this one.

thanks maggie. parents with special needs children have truly a bittersweet gift. we go through so much hard time and stress, yet i always feel saying "special needs" is that we needed something truly special in life to learn alot. when i go back to work i am actually looking forward to seeing our special needs kids. there is one who also has down syndrome and is non-verbal but he loves to give hugs. and from his teachers,despite being non-verbal he is a very intelligent hard worker.

my scout leader also has a non-verbal daughter who is getting a little more vocal. she speaks bout 1 year level and severe speech impediment but its a breakthrough from nothing at all. i think sometimes it about getting to their level then bringing them to ours which is why i wanted so badly to be the den leader for the learning for life girls in our scouting group. i get on the floor and try to experience their world. i once read autistic ppl have no imagination, says who!! i am gathering my creativity from them LOL.

bless all of you really, such big hearts from children to animal rights i learn so much from you all.

kassia

Home Depot pulled their ads. A few stations are dropping his broadcast.

The sad part is there are people out there who believe the things jerks like this say, I visited his website and it is nothing but self promotion, he actually asks people to donate to him.

I wonder if the CEO of NBC Universal, Bob Wright ( an active autism advocate) is going to stay quiet on this one.

oooh i am waiting for that. i know the wrights' had their own issues between them and their daughter and glad to see its starting to smooth out(one believes vaccine harmed the child the other believes its just genetics). if there is time to unite now is it. no matter what one feels the "cause" of autism is, one thing i think many agree on is to fight false allegations as such and spread the truth of dealing with autism in our lives.

kassia

Today was the first time I ever heard of Michael Savage/Weiner and the his ignorant rant about autism. I have a 10 yo son who is on the autism spectrum (Aspergers) and has ADHD. Like most Aspergers kids, he also has an anxiety disorder. He's had 2 decent friends since kindergarten and one moved out of state. His life is inconceivably hard day in and day out. For this vitriol spewing hate monger to turn his venomous sights on children who are so helpless and victimized is beyond forgiveness and prayer. He is a bully with a microphone and there are too many of them in the world, IMO.

He should be fired, no question. This isn't a matter of free speech. He is advocating intolerance of mentally disabled children and there's no "gray area" for acceptance of that. Words and actions have consequences and he needs to face them.

thanks maggie. parents with special needs children have truly a bittersweet gift. we go through so much hard time and stress, yet i always feel saying "special needs" is that we needed something truly special in life to learn alot. when i go back to work i am actually looking forward to seeing our special needs kids. there is one who also has down syndrome and is non-verbal but he loves to give hugs. and from his teachers,despite being non-verbal he is a very intelligent hard worker.

my scout leader also has a non-verbal daughter who is getting a little more vocal. she speaks bout 1 year level and severe speech impediment but its a breakthrough from nothing at all. i think sometimes it about getting to their level then bringing them to ours which is why i wanted so badly to be the den leader for the learning for life girls in our scouting group. i get on the floor and try to experience their world. i once read autistic ppl have no imagination, says who!! i am gathering my creativity from them LOL.

bless all of you really, such big hearts from children to animal rights i learn so much from you all.

kassia

Amen to the bittersweet gift thing. I always tell people that life would be easier without Malcolm, but it would not be better. He's a hugger too. He'll hug anyone--he just doesn't view the world with the same "judgements" many of the rest of us struggle with. He's just as likely to hug my mentally ill brother in law, who looks wild, crazy, and unclean as he is to hug someone who looks "respectable". I love this about him--no one is too "icky" for his love and affection.

Maggie

I like what your dad says about freedom of speech, Kassia. I listen to some talk radio but always have to turn off when Savage comes on. There are ways to express an opinion and ways, and he more often than not is hateful and generally not worth the time. You, however, and Viola are!

I saw his idiot rant. He's a moron. Though I doubt he's intelligent enough to realize how wrong he is I'm sure, what with all the protests he's generated against himself, he now knows he should have kept his... controversial thoughts to himself. I doubt there's another soul anywhere who thinks autism is nothing but kids misbehaving (I mean, please) and he's too big of an idiot to allow yourself to get worked up over. Just blow him off and let the protesters deal with him. Looks like they're doing one heck of a job of it, too.

I've never been a fan of Mike Savage. As others have said, all he does is rant and rave. I think he's the one who also said at one point that any woman who doesn't want to have children is mentally ill and unnatural, because of course all natural and real women live to reproduce. Gag. Don't quote me though, I can't be 100 percent sure it was him.

That said, I tend to think these shock jocks get more publicity than they deserve via protests, letter campaigns etc. Howard Stern has gotten more mileage out of his haters than his fans, IMO. Let these guys run off at the mouth. First off, they have the right to do so, no matter how unpleasant their words. Second, any calm, thinking person realizes that 99 percent of Autistic children are not just brats. Let these guys continue to blaze and fume;they'll burn themselves and their listeners out eventually. With any luck at least!

Kassia, I am sure you are a great mom!

Sparrow

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.