Just a fun question-how do u dress up to work??

Neha

Cathlete
just wondering how evryone dresses up to work, casual or formal?? i work in a research lab and evryone is so boring actualyy tht includes me, im so scared of my clothes getting messed up with chemicals tht i just wear jeans and a casual top, cant wear open shoes so wear sneakers most of the time keep me comfy thro the day, i barely get a moment to sit during the day. also if u like u could throw in some of ur beauty routines n wht makeup u wear.
neha.

Cute question Neha. I'm a massage therapist in a clinic and a spa. In clinic I wear cotton or linen dress pants or capris and my tops always have short or no sleeves. I love the spa though because we wear basic black and I don't have to think about what to wear or search for something to match. I also teach classes at a gym and get to wear my cute workout clothes (my home exercise clothes are pretty gnarley though). I can shower and be out the door for work in 1/2 an hour. It took me 40 years to figure out what to do with my wavey hair and now I love it. I would never go to work without makeup. I don't wear foundation but would be lost without my Lancombe waterproof concealer. Hey does anyone have suggestions for a great waterproof mascara that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Take Care
Laurie:)

I am looking forward to my first Personal Trainer job so I can wear my favorite kind of clothes - WORKOUT CLOTHES!! When I was a software engineer it was totally casual, we used to joke that the only dress code was that you had to be dressed. It was usually jeans in the winter, shorts in the summer. After my first job out of college I swore I would never ever take another job where I had to wear pantyhose!!

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

I work in a hospital lab. I usually wear scrub pants, a plain white tee shirt, and cover it all with neck to knee PPE (personal protective equipment, also known as a lab coat!) I rarely have to think when I get out of the shower in the morning. On the other hand, my "nice" wardrobe is miniscule.

I am a medical transcriptionist and work from home. I just put on casual clothes. I just commute from the bedroom to my office which is just the next room.... LOL... I do brush my hair. I do not wear shoes. I hate wearing shoes in the house.

Prior to having a baby, I worked for a bank in the office, not the branch. I sat at a desk all day doing collections work. The dress code there was pretty casual...no sneakers (although lots of us wore them and got away with it! hee hee!) and no jeans/sweats/shorts or stuff like that was the basic rule. I wore casual cottons pants, sweaters, blouses, etc. It was nice because the clothes I wore to work were also clothes that I wouldn't think twice about wearing outside of work also...they were casual enough for the weekend or after work depending on what I was doing. I also liked it because I was not stuffed in some uncomfortable get up...dress clothes just aren't comfy to me at all! I would have loved to be able to wear jeans/sneakers but that wasn't happening. lol

ETA: Now that I'm a SAHM I wear my pj's all day! :p

Wendy

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

Baby Joey born May 14, 2005 11:19 pm 7 pounds 12 oz 21 inches long.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

I own my own business so I'm the one who sets the dress code! Unfortunately (I guess in this sense) we are a financial/insurance firm so need to convey a professional image to our clients and the public. That means typical business attire - though we do have a dress down day on Fridays that usually means (nice) jeans in the winter and capris or a skort in the summer. I know, I know, boooring! ;-)

Kerrie

endorphin junkie & midnight - I want to hang w/ you guys. I'll get worked out and then a nice massage....ahhh! well, since I'm a stay at home mom now, I guess you can figure my attire these days ;) However, when I worked as a social worker, it was usually business casual.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

My current workplace is business casual. Monday - Thursday I usually wear nice slacks nice, but casual tops and sweaters. Sometimes dressier t-shirts. On Fridays, it's jeans day. I ALWAYS wear jeans on Friday, and usually a top from The Gap. Most of my other work clothes are from Petite Sophisticate.

HSBC, where I'm going to be going in a couple weeks, is also business casual. Although I don't think I will be wearing my jeans there. Bummer.

As far as shoes go, I mostly wear chunky heeled loafer kind of deals. I sit all day, but if I was standing, I would make sure the toe was roomy (I had bunion surgery on both feet, so I don't wear pointy shoes anymore). I also put arch supports in, which provide extra cushioning as well as helping my messed up arches.

I exfoliate my face a couple times a week. I spray NaPCA spray on my face prior to moisturizing every morning and again before bed. It really helps my extremely dry skin. I used to buy expensive foundation, but have found that I like Maybelline's mousse make-up the best. I like Clinique and Origins eyeliner pencils. They go on very smoothly and don't smudge during the day. Clinique's eye shadows are also very nice. Those are the only makeups that I think works better than what you get at the grocery store. If you get L'Oreal's De-Crease eye shadow base, you don't have the problem of your eye shadow collecting in the crease of your eyelid.

We are business casual with casual days (jeans) on Friday. I wear nice pants and a top. I LOATHE pantyhose and refuse to wear them. I never wear makeup to work - only when I go out (which is rare!!).

Angie

Casual, but no jeans. I also HATE pantyhose and will not wear them, yuk!
I have a hard time even finding dressier clothes when I go shopping, casual seems to be the trend and I am not complaining!

Hey Neha, do you wear an apron in the lab? I wouldn't risk ruining nice clothes, but if you can protect them somehow, you may get away with wearing something a bit nicer. But, if you are pretty much alone in a lab all day, that may not be a priority.

I will reccommend 3 great books for you on clothes and beauty: What Not to Wear, by Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine. They have 3 books, it will really change the way you look at makeup and clothes.

Lori

Everyday for me is very casual. I work in the maintenance department in a manufacturing plant. I have ruined some very nice pants with grease and dirt from the parts that the guys bring me to order for them. Jeans wash up much better. I also have to wear steel toe shoes and perscription safety glasses. :+ Talk about a lovely picture. Make-up is a must!

Laurie Mac

Business casual--I work for municipal govermnent so I do have to wear a suit for council meetings, but other than that during the winter it's slacks, boots & blouses or turtlenecks, in the summer it's dresses & sandals. NEVER jeans. I deal w/the public a great deal so I always have to look presentable & somewhat professional. And I always go to work w/my "full face" on. :)

Great question, Neha! :)

In my current position, I work in a very nice office building and it's fairly dressy. You might say "business casual", but it's more toward the business side than the casual side. Some of the managers wear coats and ties. And no jeans fridays here! I usually wear nice trousers/slacks and a nice blouse or sweater. I CAN wear open-toed shoes here, but I don't because occasionally my job requires me to visit other sites where open-toed shoes are prohibited.

My previous position was in a metallurgical lab, so I dressed a little more casually (but never jeans), and always had to wear closed-toe, hard-soled shoes. I almost always wore dark colors or black because it could sometimes be a dirty job lifting parts and whatnot. The lab technicians all wore jeans though, since they were doing all the grunt work, and our lab chemist also wore a lab coat.

And the position before that I was doing heat treat development and a lot of my work was done out in the heat treat shop - a hot, sweaty, dirty, sticky environment. So I dressed even more casually (but still, never jeans) and often wore a lab coat during messy experiments.

As you can see, my company still tends to the business-like attire - I hope that relaxes in the coming years because I think people are just more productive when they are comfortable. Anyone with me on that?? :D

Monday to Thursday I wear business attire - dress pants, blouses, nice sweaters, skirts, heels (I hate pantyhose too - in the winter I wear black opaque tights and in the summer, bare legs). Fridays I get to dress more casually. Today I'm wearing dark blue cropped jeans, a white rib knit tank and a pale blue hooded zip front sweater (it gets cold in here!). I always wear make-up, but not much. My hair is usually a disaster. When that happens, it either goes into ponytails or little braids.:p

Business casual with jeans on Friday :)

I work for an extremely conservative aerospace firm. Over the past three years we've been hiring a lot people right out of college. It has really relaxed the dress code and boy, AM I HAPPY ABOUT THAT.

Law Firm--so the dress code is (SUPPOSED TO BE) more business than casual. I wear sneakers coming to work and slip on my heels that I keep under my desk when I arrive. Like I said it's SUPPOSED to be business, but we have some women in here who looks as though they're going out gardening or baking. Many years ago, I use to do the suits, long skirts & heels EVERYDAY. Now it's pants everyday, esp. now that I'm into working out and have a gym. Our Fridays here is, still to me, business casual. I envy everyone who can wear jeans & sneakers to work.

Personally, I feel if I'm sitting at a damn desk all day everyday why the heck do I have to wear heels, why do I have to be suited down, I don't meet with anyone, EVER, I don't travel......just venting x(.

I know, I know, find a job where I can be comfortable everyday. Well I do have one in a sense, my gym, but we're not that established where I can quit my job yet;( ;( ;( ;( ;(.

I want to spit.

Oh, as for make-up I never wore any even as a teen. Lip gloss and liner is just fine with me. I never got into the habit of trying to put on another face. Don't have the patience to try and match colors to my skin. Although I can stand to use a concealer.....nay, what you see is what you get.....I think I'm PMSing.

Shelley can I have some chocolate?

http://www.PictureTrail.com/haydee1

Haydee

I work at a law firm too, so it's business Monday-Thursday: slacks, blouses, heels or a suit. Fridays are casual. Today I'm wearing jeans, tennis shoes and my Cathe t-shirt! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.