Jumping Rope -- A Cardio Alternative

Flyweight

Cathlete
I've noticed a few people on these forums have asked what a good alternative cardio activity is to running. Jumping rope is an obvious answer. I'm recovering from a tibial stress fracture (due to running, not jumping rope), so even the jumping motion is a bit too high impact for me. I love jumping rope and it'll get you into shape FAST! It's lower impact than running and also works your upper body as well. Not to mention it's cheap and portable. I'm looking forward to getting back to it in the next few weeks. If you work your way up to 20 or 30 minutes, you'll have a fantastic work out.

So here's some tips:

* Ropesport (http://www.ropesport.com/) produces some good videos, but don't bother with their ropes. They're cheap and don't work well.

* Get a rope with ball bearings (a speed rope). Something like this: http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-professional-plastic-speed-rope.html. The 8' length is good if you're under 5'5". Get a 9' if you're over 5'5". You will have to cut the rope (you just take one of the handles apart to do this, it's very easy) to size the rope correctly. If you hold an ends of the rope in each hand, and stand on the middle, the ends should reach your armpits.

* Don't jump on a hard surface like concrete or asphalt. Use a rubber mat or any old mat or rubber or foam flooring (like the interlocking sections you can get at Home Depot).

* Make sure you wear the same type of shoes you would for running to avoid any foot or leg problems.

Here's a good article on getting started. And check at the video at the bottom of the page!! http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym26.htm

This is also something fun you can do with your kids.

It's a great alternative to any cardio activity!

Yes, I totally agree! It is a major calorie burner and very challenging. I have been working hard to up my endurance in jumping.

Debbie

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
--Family Guy

I completely agree as well. I love to jump rope. When I dig out the first Firm workout (which I still love) I will jump rope through the cardio sections. The cardio isn't my favorite part of the that workout so I improvise. I'll do the same sometimes with Cathe's bootcamp. It provides a nice change and a killer cardio workout.:D

Thank you for posting this! I purchased a jump rope about a month ago. I feel intimidated by the whole notion. It pathetically hangs there draped over the treadmill silently waiting for me. LOL The article was just what I needed to read to help me get over it. Thanks again!

Jump Rope videos? How wild! *runs off to check it out*

Lucinda - have you done any of these? I'd be interested in trying them, actually.

>Jump Rope videos? How wild! *runs off to check it out*
>
>Lucinda - have you done any of these? I'd be interested in
>trying them, actually.

Yes, I have the Ropesport Beginner and Intermediate dvds. You can get them for about $10 on Amazon. There are some reviews on CollageVideo.

If you can get over the cheesy acting, they're not bad intros. They break down all the moves and the beginner one teaches you everything about the rope, etc. There really aren't that many dvds out there, so this is about as good as it gets and I think they're worth the $10 each.

I love to jump rope -I incorporate it into my workouts twice a week- one day I do steady state fast jumping for 30-40 min. and on another day I do HIIT for 22 minutes which includes 8 cycles of 1 minute intervals with 1 min. rests in between- it's great--deb

There is an older jump rope workout with Kathy Smith and Michael Olijade (sp?) called Aerobox. It's pretty good and you can do the jump rope sections of the workout with or without the jump rope. It was recently released by Kathy on DVD. The remainder of the workout is traditional boxing moves.

Sandra S.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.