Joey-the details....

wendymin72

Cathlete
Hey ladies.

I'm relatively awake at the moment, Joey is changed and dry and hangin' out with daddy so I can post....:)

So it was saturday morning the 14th...everything was business as usual with me. I got up, had my coffee, etc...when DH woke up we decided to "get romantic". I guess he decided that he could handle it after all. lol So...I swear not 10 minutes after we finished I was in labor!!! This was about 11:30am.

I didn't think it was true labor at first. I thought it was braxton hicks. It went on for about 30 mins to where I just felt a constant pain with no real start and end point. Then I started to feel the difference where it would get really strong for a period of 30-45 seconds every 3-5 minutes. After about 15 minutes of this I called my doctor. He said to come to hospital so that they could check me but I didn't have to rush like crazy. So I took my shower and we gathered our things. About 30 mins later we were off. When the nurse checked me at the hospital I was 2 centimeters dialated and the contractions were still coming at the same pace so the doctor said to admit me.

My labor stayed status quo for a while and then the contractions started coming on quicker but no stronger. I only dialated about another centimeter in several hours so at about 7pm he broke my water and they put me on pitocin.

I was on the pitocin for a while and wasn't noticing any big change in the contractions. Then suddenly in the middle of a contraction something happened (I felt this really strange feeling) and then the relatively mild contraction (like a bad menstrual cramp) turned into all out pain. It scared the heck outta me so badly that I actually burst into tears. I cried through the next one as well. After that I didn't cry anymore but decided that I wanted something to take the edge off the pain. The nurse gave me something in my IV but all it ended up doing was knocking me out between contractions. The pain was still the same. (Looking back I would not opt for that again.)I finally was ready to give in and get the epidural but at that point I had already shot up to 9.5 centimeters dialated so it was obviously too late. That didn't really upset me much cause I knew I'd be getting ready to push soon. I think what put me over the edge and made me want the epidural was having to supress the urge to push because I wasn't dialated enough yet. In a way, for me, that was worse than the pain of the contraction.

When I was finally allowed to push it had to be about 11pm. Joey was born at 11:19 pm and the doctor said I had pushed for about 20 mins. The pushing was a relief though it was exhausting. Not to mention painful when Joey's head crowned. I tore a little so I had to get stitches. That was nothing. They gave a couple shots to numb me which only felt like pinches at that point, and he was able to stitch me up and I felt nothing.

The most painful part of the experience was quite short lived. If it was BAD for 3 hours that was a lot. I think it may have only been about 2 hours and looking back that time passed pretty quickly considering.

Once he was out, it wasn't that I forgot about the pain, but it just didn't matter. It was immediately pushed to the back of my mind and I couldn't wait to hold him. DH cried when he was born. I didn't cry...I think I was so overwhelmed that I just couldn't.

The nurse and doctor said I did a great job, especially for the first time being pregnant. DH thought I handled it great too. He's been telling everyone how good I did.

Well, I have rambled on long enough but that was my experience.

Now I have a precious little boy named Joey who is gorgeous and sweet and cuddly and wonderful and it is sooo worth it! Now I'm learning how to be a mommy and trying to get some rest in between. My mom is coming over every day this week to help me so that is wonderful and DH is staying home through tmrw-Joey's first doctor's appointment. DH will go back to work on thur and fri and then take the first couple days of the following week off since my mom will be going back to work at that time...

Thank you ladies for being there for me through my pregnancy and answering my silly and not so silly questions and for listening to me. I really appreciate it. It was great to have women in the same situation to talk to about what you are going through.:)

Off to spend time with DH and Joey now...:)

Wendy

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

8 month pic just added! EEK! lol http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

Wendy congrats on your new little baby. Tears of joy came reading through your birth story. Isn't it truly a miracle! I wish you and your family lots of joy!

Lindzebird

Wendy--You did a great job! Thank you for sharing your birth story. Nuzzle that newborn head for me.

Maggie:)

Wendy, I am so happy for you! You pretty much did have the dream first delivary! You were so strong and now you get to hold your precious little baby! What a miracle life is. Congratulatins! Give him and nuzzle and a kiss for me!

So happy for you,
Missy

p.s. I told you sex was the trick!:p

Wow....Beautiful story Wendy...http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/smile3.gif[/img]...I can only imagine how happy all of you are...:D Thanks for sharing...

Autumn...love your quote...:)...Carole

Congratulations! What a wonderful labor story! You did awesome! Lots of (((HUGS))) coming your way for you and baby Joey. It is an amazing experience isn't it?

Wendy,
congrats again...i am so happy for you and your family. what a wonderful experience and now you have many, many wonderful experiences to look forward to. children bring such joy to your life!

Wendy,

Thanks for sharinga all the details! You had an ideal first birth! Congratulations! I'm so happy it all went so we well for you!

I agree with you on the part about it being torture not being able to push when the urge hits. I remember that being the most miserable part of my labour, too.

How is the nursing going? Doesn't it feel great to be able to bend over without a belly in the way?

I'm so happy for you and your family!

All the best,
Sandra

Congratulations Wendy to both you and your husband on the arrival of Joey! Enjoy this most special time!

Tammy

Thanks for sharing Wendy. Sounds like everything went pretty well! Now have fun getting aquainted with Joey! :)

WEndy -

I'm so happy to hear your story! I have been popping in the past few days just hoping you'd have a chance to post. Not that you're not busy -HA!- I was just hoping that everything had gone well.

Congratulations on handling everything so well - don't forget to take care of yourself these first weeks or so. Your body deserves a lot of TLC for the efforts it's put forth the past 10 months!!

Take care -

KC

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.