Is it realistic...

lov2bfit

Cathlete
to lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks without doing an Atkins type diet? I have considered doing Atkins just to get the quick results, but I don't know how well I can handle almost no carbs. I thought about maybe just reducing my carbs dramatically to see if that helps (I tend to eat carbs every meal, although mostly whole grain). I am in my mid 30's and weight does not come off as easily as it used to. I haven't been taking the best care of myself and unfortunately gained 20 pounds in the last 2 years. My husband and I are going to Cabo in 8 weeks and I was hoping I would be able to take the majority of this extra weight off. I know this probably sounds like I am just looking for a "quick fix" but that's really not it. I have been on and off exercising and yo-yo dieting for the past 2 years and would really like to use this vacation as motivation to get myself back on track. I am now around 143 pounds and used to be 122 when I was in the best shape of my life. I'm just hoping maybe someone has been in a similar situation and found something that worked well for them. Thanks ladies!

Katie

Experts don't really recommend losing more than 1-2 pounds per week. If you lose 2 pounds per week it will put you very close to your goal. Just make sure you don't cut calories too much because that will backfire on you and with your workouts you need the fuel(how much fuel depends on how intense your workouts.)

The best tip I ever got - write down EVERYTHING you eat - it can make or break any weight loss goals you may have.

Good luck and have fun in Cabo.

It took 2 years to gain those 20 pounds, and IMO, trying to find a quick fix to get them off will not be a permanent solution.

As Wendy stated, standard weight-loss recommendations for sustained loss are 1-2 pounds per week.

One pound is 3500 calories, so if you create a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day (partly through exercise, partly through diet), you can lose 1 pound a week. To lose two, you'd have to create a calorie deficit of 1000 calories a day (again, through a combination of diet and exercise).

20 lbs in 8 weeks would be 2.5 lbs per week. I think a more realistic expectation would be 1 to 2 lbs per week! You mentioned that you already had some issues with yoyo dieting, by going on Atkins or any other fad diet you may go down that path even further.

I have been in a similar situation where I wanted to lose weight fast for a special occassion and by doing so started a yoyo dieting career which led to a weight gain of 140 lbs over 8 years. It wasn't until I realized that it is not about what size I fit in but instead about health and well-being that my weight came off. And I just broke through another plateau where my weight stayed the same for over 4 weeks, no matter what I did. Had I only focused on my weight I am sure I would have fallen off track.

Our body has a funny way of determining when it is ready to release the pounds and the 3,500 calories for each pound is no guarantee.

My advice, don't focus on the weight you want to lose but focus on health and take the vacation to Cabo as a motivation to start a sensible eating plan and gradually increase your exercise. If you haven't exercised regularly and jump right into a strenuous exercise regime you will risk injury and burn out.

Keep in mind, over the short term you can't control the results, meaning you can't control the time frame of your weightloss and will only set yourself up for disappointment or failure if that is your focus. Focus on what you can control and that's your activities. Put a plan together and enjoy the journey to increased fitness and health, the weightloss will come with it.

Last edited:
My advise is to try and lose half that, and tighten up with exercise to look like you lost 5 more. You are setting yourself up to fail and yo-yo more with such lofty goals. Plus that 122 you were when you were young may not be the right weight now. Go for muscle, weighing a bit more, and you will feel better!

I can understand you wanting to lose all of the weight for vacation but I must concur with the others....Don't try it! Put together a sensible eating and work out plan and STICK WITH IT. Going extreme will just lead to disaster in the long run and it's not worth it.

I concur with others about a sensible plan.

try reading this book: Eat to Live by Joel Furhman. Follow his 6 week plan to jump start your healthy eating habits then follow with his life plan. PS In his life plan he states you can be 90% on the plan and have 10% wiggle room.

Sure it can be done. I lost 30 lbs in 8 weeks on Atkins. My energy levels dropped the first two weeks or so, but went back to normal pretty quickly.

That was when I was 35. I went on modified Atkins & maintained for 5 years. Then I turned 40 & it stopped working for me. I guess like any diet, your metabolism will adjust, it's just a matter of time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back