Is it ok to use a curl cap barbell instead of straight barbell

Hi Cathe-
I am new to your workouts, and just like to know if it is ok to use a cap barbell (e-z curl barbell) instead of straight for workout on butts and gutts or any of your workouts that required a barbell?

Thanks!
Yasmine

I do it all the time. I find it's easier on my wrists, my elbows, and even my shoulders. I often find a straight bar awkward and painful.

I asked a sort of similar question and here is Cathe's response:

"Hi Madison511! It is a matter of personal preference. I personally feel both bars have their advantages depending on what exercise you are doing and what you are looking for within each workout. For instance, the EZ Curl bar, though shorter and bulkier, works great for varied hand grips and wrist comfort on many exercises such as lying tricep extensions, bicep curls, overhead tricep press, deadlifts, bent rows, reverse curls, etc. The straight bar can also perform the above exercises (with a little more stress to sensitive wrists) but is also great for squats and bench press...two all time classic weight lifting exercises that, IMO, are not nearly as comfortable to perform with an EZ Curl bar.

Some food for thought: If you have no wrist issues but extra money to spend, you may want to add an EZ curl bar to your straight bar collection to vary the angle and muscle fiber recruitment. If you have a lot of wrist/forearm issues you may want to invest in an EZ curl bar to provide greater comfort while you lift. If you cannot get both, head over to a fitness supply store and check out an EZ Curl Bar. Practice squats and bench press with it (along with other exercises I have mentioned here) to make sure you will be comfortable using this curl bar for your overall barbell purposes.

Hope this helps! "

Here is a link to my thread:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=85623&mesg_id=85623&page=2

thank you guys! that was a great help. I am actually getting the curl bar, I could only afford to buy one at a time and I find this one will be more useful for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.