Is being a beachbody coach a scam?

A

amanda12485

I was thinking about becoming a coach, but i have heard this was a scam. Anyone dealt with this at all?

I don't think it is a "scam." However, many people liken it to a "pyramid scheme," which many think of as a scam. I don't know that it is worth the monthly "dues" for the discounts. I don't know that they are significant enough to offset the cost. I am sure money is made off the sale of products but it's not like there are new products coming out every couple weeks. I would think it is easier to grow a business selling something like Avon or Mary Kay. You get customers, they become repeat customers, you get new customers, etc. With BB, I think there is a limit to how many people are interested in the workouts and willing to pay.

Carrie

I'm a Coach and it's not a scam. It's no different than any other direct marketing/home based sales program. What you get out of it is based on your efforts.

I've never gotten hosed by BB w/ "hidden fees" or had commissions mysteriously "'lost." I'm not "pressured" to make a certain sales target every month. It's very upfront.

I'm very happy w/ my choice. My sister sells Mary Kay and she's happy w/ that. To each his own. :)

It's not a scam. It's multi-level marketing or MLM, which is a legal version of a pyramid scheme . BB is more upfront than some people and won't steal your money. What they are less open about is how you really make money being a coach. The people who signed up in 2006 are making the best money. They got in early and are at the top of the sales pyramid. The trick to making decent money is NOT selling BB products. It's getting other people to become coaches. The top tier of coaches, that is pretty much all they've ever done. They recruited other coaches who do their recruiting (and some selling) for them. So, there is a push to be a coach and get other people to be a coach.

A lot of people who sign up now have no idea about the hierarchy or the initial coaches that joined BB. It seems like Avon or Mary Kay on the surface, but it's really not like that. I mean, you can certainly try to sell the products as is. Many do. But for most people who get involved, the amount of sales don't cover the costs.

Last edited:
I mean, you can certainly try to sell the products as is. Many do. But for most people who get involved, the amount of sales don't cover the costs.

ITA! I was a BB coach for about 6 months or so. I never came out ahead simply selling product but try as I might, I couldn't get anyone to sign up under me! Part of the problem is that I wasn't making a profit so how could I honestly convince anyone else to do it!? My upline was making money but who wants to hear that!? They want to hear about the money YOU are making.

I'm not saying it's not possible to make good money at this. It truly IS. The gal who brought me in is doing VERY well for herself but as stated above, the KEY is to be able to bring new coaches into the business. If you can't do that then it will probably be very difficult for you to keep your head above water, so to speak.

Disclaimer, I have an extreme dislike of MLM marketing. I did not know that BB coach was that when I received a Facebook friend request from someone I don't know who said she was a Cathe fan. Her signature line said she was a BB coach. I assumed her that was her motive for befriending me. I never accept friend requests from people I don't know and this type of tactic is a prime example of why I dislike MLM. I've never purchased any BB product and now that I know they use MLM I never will. This does not mean you can't make money. I know some people who got in on the ground floor when Herbalife first arrived in Italy and they did very well.

Disclaimer, I have an extreme dislike of MLM marketing. I did not know that BB coach was that when I received a Facebook friend request from someone I don't know who said she was a Cathe fan. Her signature line said she was a BB coach. I assumed her that was her motive for befriending me. I never accept friend requests from people I don't know and this type of tactic is a prime example of why I dislike MLM. I've never purchased any BB product and now that I know they use MLM I never will. This does not mean you can't make money. I know some people who got in on the ground floor when Herbalife first arrived in Italy and they did very well.

i get a lot of them on twitter. some make it clear some don't. i usually don't block ppl b/c to many blocks and they could lose their account but if they reply(they can still reply and you can see some replies even though they don't follow you,learned that trick recently) but if they start questioning exercise things i post i block them. i don't ask for advice and if i do its not from them its from kettlebell instructors from surrounding area. one guy questioned effectiveness of kettlebells and i sent all my 'bell buddies his way. never ask what happened with that LOL. sure he got schooled. LOL

kassia

Back in '06 when BB started this, a girl I had met on the boards approached me about being a coach. I love the idea of helping people get fit and doing what I can in that arena and someday I will probably get into personal training - when my kids are older and I live in America. :)

But, at the time, I just didn't like the idea of recruiting people into a business (why I have declined any type of home business - mary kay, arbonne, bb).

The girl who wanted me to join her team is doing VERY well for herself - she and her husband are full time 5 star diamond coaches (not sure what this means). Anyway, she's always been nice to me. I have never ordered anything from her until I just got Insanity and she was helpful. I met her after I had purchased p90x (which was also before it was available through coaches).

Anyway, I don't think it's a scam but it's not for everyone. I figure if buying a product from a coach is helpful to them, I'll do it... to each her own! :)

I have found a "home" with Cathe though and prefer her products and style to beachbody! But, doesn't mean I won't try something new! :)

My 2 cents...

i get a lot of them on twitter. some make it clear some don't. i usually don't block ppl b/c to many blocks and they could lose their account but if they reply(they can still reply and you can see some replies even though they don't follow you,learned that trick recently) but if they start questioning exercise things i post i block them. i don't ask for advice and if i do its not from them its from kettlebell instructors from surrounding area. one guy questioned effectiveness of kettlebells and i sent all my 'bell buddies his way. never ask what happened with that LOL. sure he got schooled. LOL

kassia

Does your twitter profile make it easy for them to know you're into fitness? I just opened a twitter account about a week ago but only tweet about my solar cooking blog. I have been found and am followed by a few people into food or solar power but no coaches. I don't block many people on Twitter either, just the obvious spammers.

Does your twitter profile make it easy for them to know you're into fitness? I just opened a twitter account about a week ago but only tweet about my solar cooking blog. I have been found and am followed by a few people into food or solar power but no coaches. I don't block many people on Twitter either, just the obvious spammers.

yes they can easily search with tags such as fitness, weights, etc. i put fitness stuff and just random stuff for my friends on my tweets and i will get all sorts of ppl following me. everything from fitness to cartoon crazies. i get selective but that one coach got pushy b/c my tweet of the day was that i overate and felt a little fat so he questioned my fitness "program".

kassia

I am also a Beachbody Coach...just became one. I had a hard time making this decision. But, here's why I did it and then I'll explain why I had a had time making this decision.

I love fitness, I love Beachbody products, I have been able to get people on the products in the past, so I thought why not get paid for it. Especially since people come to me all the time for fitness advice and tips. I have been involved in fitness in some way or another for over 30 years (always involved in sports, running, exercising, etc). But since I have always been fit, I don't have people asking me what worked for me (they just know I have always been active)...because I didn't need significant results from Beachbody products (I got results, but nothing really visible...at least with clothes on:eek:).

Anyway, I am just disappointed that I am not getting too much activity because I didn't have these extreme results. Someone who is 300 pounds and loses 50 pounds on a beachbody product is going to have people asking what their secret is. Not knocking those who lost a signigicant amount of weight , I just figured that success in this business would help by being fit and healthly. And I find the only way I could possibly be successful as a coach is being really pushy, and I can't seem to do that.

I went to a coaches seminar and I was completely dissappointed in how many coaches were overweight....Not trying to be mean. I guess I was just assuming that "coaches" would need to keep a fit physique because they are role models or examples of the business (but I guess I shouldn't consider coaches the equivalent to Personal trainers)

Sorry for rambling, I think I am just hoping that it pays off for me....someday!!

I am constantly getting friend requests from BB Coaches I don't know. It burns me up. I actually (not realizing-IDK what I was thinking) accepted a request like this a while back and I think that started it. So annoying. I never accept them and always mark that I do not know the person so that they can not try to friend me again at a later date.

I went to a coaches seminar and I was completely dissappointed in how many coaches were overweight....Not trying to be mean. I guess I was just assuming that "coaches" would need to keep a fit physique because they are role models or examples of the business (but I guess I shouldn't consider coaches the equivalent to Personal trainers)

Sorry for rambling, I think I am just hoping that it pays off for me....someday!!

Right you are, I would not go to someone for coaching if they did not in full, embody a fit & healthy lifestyle, barring pregnancy or (unforeseen instance) accident. I do not think you need to have accomplished a major weight loss to be a successful coach, the biggest thing for me would be knowing what works, what does not work, how to achieve goals realistically, and being able to follow through with clients until they can accomplish these things on their own, independently...You must be successful in these aspects of health & fitness yourself.

I saw a trainer on WPMT in York Pa, a few weeks ago. She is a body builder and although that would not be my interest, she was very slim, fit, & strong, well spoken, confident, at ease on camera, knowledgeable. That's what I would look for.

If you are pursuing this as a career, I don't know if that's, (BBC) altogether a bad thing.

Right you are, I would not go to someone for coaching if they did not in full, embody a fit & healthy lifestyle, barring pregnancy or (unforeseen instance) accident. I do not think you need to have accomplished a major weight loss to be a successful coach, the biggest thing for me would be knowing what works, what does not work, how to achieve goals realistically, and being able to follow through with clients until they can accomplish these things on their own, independently...You must be successful in these aspects of health & fitness yourself.

I saw a trainer on WPMT in York Pa, a few weeks ago. She is a body builder and although that would not be my interest, she was very slim, fit, & strong, well spoken, confident, at ease on camera, knowledgeable. That's what I would look for.

If you are pursuing this as a career, I don't know if that's, (BBC) altogether a bad thing.

Thanks, that basically what I was expecting to witness when I went to this Beachbody event. So, of course, I thought people would buy from me...I am more fit than these guys. Apparently not the case, but I 'll keep trying. Too early for me to give up.

Re: the fitness of some of the BB coaches, even very successful ones.

First off, I'm a coach, and I think it's a great opportunity. I've been doing this VERY part-time for 2 years now, and I easily pay for our meager coach fee and then some (by quite a bit - I likely pay for my monthly Shakeology with my commissions - maybe not EVERY month, but likely most). I do almost nothing really - so if you put some time into it you really can do quite well. One of my goals for '11 is to dedicate some serious time to this and see what I can do here.

There are a number of coaches who are TRULY dedicated to health and fitness (to the extreme, in some cases) and they REALLY know what they are talking about - many are fitness professionals. On the opposite extreme, there are others who don't give a rat's behind about health and fitness, but they are seasoned MLM folks and know a good opportunity when they see it. They do EXTREMELY well because they know how to run a successful MLM. The first class of coaches (the dedicated fitness bunch) find these second types pretty distainful, really. It's not what Beachbody is about. But, more power to them, really. They are taking a great opportunity and making the most of it - you can't really fault them for that, and if they are helping people get fit along the way, even better.

Then there is what I see as a 3rd distinct class. These are people who are dedicated to their own personal health and fitness journey, but haven't quite yet nailed it. But would like to encourage others to come along for the ride, so they can all motivate each other. They slip and fall, they falter. They are human. They don't look like fitness professionals, but they really do CARE and want to help and work VERY hard for their customers. A lot of these folks so well because they are more relate able to folks. I've got a similar story as you Jenn - I don't have a huge, motivational success story, because I've been athletic and fit all my life. I do have a full time job and two young kids, so I think I do have real life challenges that I can help folks navigate, but I haven't been where they are, if they have some weight to lose. I don't struggle with food, personally. So this other class of coaches really does have a niche - a pretty big one, actually! I *really* can't fault them - they are what BB is all about, really. Helping people and truly caring about the state of health and fitness in this country.

First off, I'm a coach, and I think it's a great opportunity. I've been doing this VERY part-time for 2 years now, and I easily pay for our meager coach fee and then some (by quite a bit - I likely pay for my monthly Shakeology with my commissions - maybe not EVERY month, but likely most). I do almost nothing really - so if you put some time into it you really can do quite well. One of my goals for '11 is to dedicate some serious time to this and see what I can do here.

There are a number of coaches who are TRULY dedicated to health and fitness (to the extreme, in some cases) and they REALLY know what they are talking about - many are fitness professionals. On the opposite extreme, there are others who don't give a rat's behind about health and fitness, but they are seasoned MLM folks and know a good opportunity when they see it. They do EXTREMELY well because they know how to run a successful MLM. The first class of coaches (the dedicated fitness bunch) find these second types pretty distainful, really. It's not what Beachbody is about. But, more power to them, really. They are taking a great opportunity and making the most of it - you can't really fault them for that, and if they are helping people get fit along the way, even better.

Then there is what I see as a 3rd distinct class. These are people who are dedicated to their own personal health and fitness journey, but haven't quite yet nailed it. But would like to encourage others to come along for the ride, so they can all motivate each other. They slip and fall, they falter. They are human. They don't look like fitness professionals, but they really do CARE and want to help and work VERY hard for their customers. A lot of these folks so well because they are more relate able to folks. I've got a similar story as you Jenn - I don't have a huge, motivational success story, because I've been athletic and fit all my life. I do have a full time job and two young kids, so I think I do have real life challenges that I can help folks navigate, but I haven't been where they are, if they have some weight to lose. I don't struggle with food, personally. So this other class of coaches really does have a niche - a pretty big one, actually! I *really* can't fault them - they are what BB is all about, really. Helping people and truly caring about the state of health and fitness in this country.

I hope I wasn't coming off too harsh, I think I am just getting discouraged...and tired of people getting annoyed at me for talking about health and fitness. I think it' great have had great success with the products and I know plenty of people who were never fit, did P90X, got great results, and continue to live a healthy fit lifestyle....I actually know someone who seems to be getting me more business than myself. I am not giving up...I am hoping people will realize that I am doing this to help change people so they can live a more enjoyable healthy life. I am tired of the way Americans live and eat. If I can make money off of this, than great (mom of 4,and working pat-time, so the money would really help), but I am sick of looking around and seeing our country fall apart and I want to help make a change!!

I just became a BB coach last month. I am no sales person, believe me! I will not be pushy or try to force anyone to buy or become a coach under me. I signed up because I wanted Insanity, but didn't want to pay full price for it. I have put that I'm a coach on my FB and Twitter profiles along with my web addresses and occasionally post promotions. I will not ever just try to friend someone because I think they might join.

I thought I might be able to make enough to support my fitness habit without taking from our one and only income! We'll see how it goes!

The friends I have are already set in their good fitness and healthy eating habits and, if they want something from me, they'll let me know, not the other way around! I am trying to promote myself in my city. I probably will never be successful at this, but hey, it's worth a shot! I love fitness and used to be a personal trainer, so, why not? Maybe I can put one degree to use this way!

I just became a BB coach last month. I am no sales person, believe me! I will not be pushy or try to force anyone to buy or become a coach under me. I signed up because I wanted Insanity, but didn't want to pay full price for it. I have put that I'm a coach on my FB and Twitter profiles along with my web addresses and occasionally post promotions. I will not ever just try to friend someone because I think they might join.

I thought I might be able to make enough to support my fitness habit without taking from our one and only income! We'll see how it goes!

The friends I have are already set in their good fitness and healthy eating habits and, if they want something from me, they'll let me know, not the other way around! I am trying to promote myself in my city. I probably will never be successful at this, but hey, it's worth a shot! I love fitness and used to be a personal trainer, so, why not? Maybe I can put one degree to use this way!

I am trying to look at it this way as well....but it's hard, especially when you hear about others doing so well with it. Maybe in time it will all pan out. Good luck to you too!!

Beautifully worded!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.