Interval Max...Yow!

Lex411

Cathlete
Ok, I just did my weekly Interval Max self-torture hour and I was wondering...

What are everyne else's favorite and least favorite intervals?

Personally, I love the 2-footed jump onto the board with the ski jumps in between. It makes me feel like such a stud. But I also like the skating leaps. I think those are Intervals 4 and 7? But I honestly can't remember now.

The one I like the least? Those damn plyo jacks! Pure torture! How can they all be smiling, and how the hell can Cathe chat during that part?

But I have to admit, I keep coming back to it and I do feel like busting out in tears of pride when Cathe adds, around the 8th Interval, that you should be proud just to still be going. I certainly was!

Just did it yesterday...and it seriously kicked my butt!!

My favorite is probably #9 where you hitch kick and when you know you are almost done!

My least favorite used to be #10 until I got brave enough to do it all, now its fine. On the bottom now would have to be the lunges on # 8 'O.K. let's do another 16...' UGH!!

I try to do it every now and then, but IMax is surely one of Cathe's toughest...

:-tired

Joanna

Lex, your most favorite is my least. Those syncopated leaps with jump rope on top KILL me. I HATE that interval. I used to hate those in-place scissors. But since I have been weight lifting my legs are a lot stronger and I can do those much more easily now.

Once I get to #6 I am one happy camper; I like 6-10 the best. Although in 10, after doing that tape over 40 times, I can never do the tuck jumps. I have to do leaping plyo jacks instead. I think it's because I have slow twitch muscle response. I was never able to master hurdles in track for that reason.

This is my favorite Cathe tape (then Cardio Kicks and Circuit Max) :)

Hi everyone,
Well Lex, your favorite is also my favorite, and Kristina, your favorite is the one I hate the most. Can all of you do every single interval without modification? If you can you are all my heroes. Of course I haven't done it in eight months but it is pure gut wrenching torture. Yet, I keep coming back for more. I will conquer this tape!! I hope Cathe makes another interval video like that with a lot of plyometrics. Interval Max is my favorite of hers because it is so much more athletic and less dancy. I did this tape yesterday and I'll probably do it again on Saturday. I want to do of the plyo jumping jacks without any modifications. Take care everyone!
Christine

On my energetic days, I can do it all as-is without modifications. But then there are those days, and there are plenty of them, where I know if I go all out on every interval, I'll puke. That is without a doubt the toughest workout of any kind I have ever done. Anything else, I seem to master after a few times, but I've done IMAX about 20 times in the last year and it still kicks my butt.

I love that last interval. Somehow knowing it's the last one, I can find the energy to really get into those leaps. Can you believe the air Cathe gets with those racehorse legs of hers? Fabulous.

As much as I do love her step choreography, I have to admit that what draws me to this workout, like many others, is the athletic feel. It's the kind of class I could even see macho men doing without feeling too silly. But of course, they'd probably pass out first.

Oh crap- I just ordered this one and now I'm terrified to use it!!The comment you made about preferring more "athletic" choreography caught my eye because I feel the same way- which of Cathe's all-step tapes do you like best?I haven't been able to choose and I would love the opinion of someone who also dislikes "silly" stuff.

I also hate the 2-footed jump onto the board. That one and the power scissors - ouch!! The rest of them I love. I love #2 where you jump and jump and I love #10 - like it's been said, it's the last one and I am happy to be almost done! For some reason, I always feel done after the power scissors interval, maybe because it's the hardest for me and I'm so glad it's over!
I do all the intervals without modifications, but I certainly don't look anything like Cathe and crew while I'm doing them!! I think Interval Max is hard, but BodyMax and MIC are tougher for me. It's a fun, tough workout though!
Erica

That's a tough question. You should know what my inventory is first, so you know what I'm choosing from:

The Pure Strength Series
MIC
MIS
Crosstrain Express
Cardio Hits (Powermax, Stepfit, Step Works)
BodyMax
Interval Max
Circuit Max

I think that's it...looks like more on my shelf. Anyway!

I LOVE the middle section of Powermax, which is the longest. I just like the moves and the way it works with the music. And I really enjoy Bodymax, especially the step and then the circuit parts. And of course, Circuit Max is a lot of fun. You get a little kickboxing, hi/lo and step, all pretty basic moves but very high intensity with upper body training in between. But Interval max is my favorite. I have high hopes for Cathe doing another tough interval workout someday in the near future.

But don't be afraid! She gives great pointers on how to modufy the intensity blasts a few ways, so you can start out one way and just build as you gain the endurance. If you stick with the workout consistently, giving your body recovery time in between (at least 2 days of doing other, lighter workouts), you'll be thrilled at how your cardio endurance and recovery ability improves. Mine was progress was remarkable and I have asthma!

Have fun with it!

I just did this video for the first time today and all I have to say is WOW!!!!!!! I can do Cathe's other tapes without modification but this really kicked my rearend. I had to modify 3 of the intervals the first being #5. I don't remember what each one is because as I said it was my first time through. But by the time I reached #5 I was just about to pass out. I was huffing and puffing and sweating. I don't see how anyone can get through it. I consider myself in fairly good shape but I don't know if I will ever get it all in without modification. My knees will probably confirm this for me in the morning. What a workout!!! I admire those that can get through it without the modifications. Maybe someday I can! :)

Kelly

I HAVE burst into tears!

...after that 8th segment. Don't do this tape when you have PMS!

I loathe those endless plyo jacks in one of the early segments.

I like the power scissors segment, as well as those leaps where you cross your back leg behind you, and the lunges on top of the step. Yowza!

Like Lex, I can do this tape w/o modifications if I am really feeling on top of things. But not early in the morning, for instance! And I get NO air at all on those wretched tuck jumps. The only good thing I can say about them is that I can now do them without peeing myself. :D

Sophie

RE: I HAVE burst into tears!

That made my laugh out loud, Sophie. I made my boyfriend read it! Hilarious, truly. I like your sense of humor.

But...YOU LIKE THE POWER SCISSORS?! What sick planet are you from? I hate those! I actually usually do Plyo Heels Digs instead, which for some bizarre reason I love, though they kill me. But I understand...one woman's poison is another woman's cup o'wine, spoh-dee-oh-dee!

Oh, and I second the PMS warning. Definitely sound advice.

As for the earlier post from the first time IMer...fret not. I didn't get through more than 5 intervals, with modifications and I was DYING from just that even, when I started. Now I can finish it every time, just at different energy levels depending on the day, etc. But we aren't superwomen or anything, so don't feel bad.

At least I don't wet my pants when I work out....SOPHIE!! ;)

power scissors,shmower scissors

I remember reading smeone referring to the power scissors as "POWER SPASMS" and that is what I look like when I try to do them.
Im kills me, but I have to make myself throw it in my rotations every week (but it turns into every other week instead).
To think there was a time that I used to do this tape 2x a week when i first got it..ah. I was young and invincible. This was 8 months ago.

This is my favorite tape, so you won't get me to knock any of the intervals....some are more fun than others, but it's the end result that counts!!!!! Don't you all feel tough and strong after you do this one? I always feel proud of myself when I do it.

Wow, where do I begin??? I HATE HATE HATE power scissors and plyo jacks!!! I LOVE the two footed jumps and the hitch kick lunges and the side to side leaps. Also, I'm beginning to like the last one. This is an awesome little tape that I try to do once a week. By the time I'm done with this tape my thighs are burning and I'm sweating buckets and drinking a ton of water!!! And you know what else??? I love it!! I admit it, I'm a sadist. What can I say? And one day, I will get through all of those intervals without modifications, and it will indeed be a happy day:)!

Honeybunch,

I don't know if I feel tough and strong at the end but I sure feel shaky, quivery and have the urge to throw up! Is that a good thing? :) Anyway, it is definitely a challenge. As I am in the middle of it and watch Cathe and her crew smiling I just really want to smack them. How can they smile? They must be in awesome shape. When I can do this tape and not feel like throwing up then I will have arrived.

And Sophie, don't feel bad, I almost pee on myself before I get to #10. All that jumping makes my bladder feel like it has it's own pinball machine thing going on in there.

Kelly

Cute thread...you all are making me laugh :).

As for me, interval #8 (the power scissors) is now and has always been (since the first time I ever did this workout) my most dreaded interval...BUT, I have managed to work my way up to getting all the way through it without modifying which to me is a MAJOR accomplishment!

My favorite...well, it's not really a favorite but the last interval -- #10 is when I'm probably the happiest (and most proud) because I made it through the workout! As many of you have pointed out though, I don't know how Cathe can get so high on those tuck jumps AND talk at the same time during this one...she is amazing!!

BTW, I think at least part of the reason for the variation in what some people find to be "tough" has to do with if a person genetically has more slow twitch or fast twitch muscle fibers. It seems like there was a thread a while back about this and it really rings true for me. For instance, I personally poop out faster on explosive (fast twitch) movements (e.g. power scissors) than I would on a slow, heavy weight lifting type movement (slow twitch). Does this sound right? Or do I have the fast twitch/slow twitch theory all mixed up??

Anyway, glad to hear we're all in it together while struggling (and smiling :D) through IMax.

Lisa

Twitchy

Hey Lisa, you got it right. As I said earlier, I have a slower twitch muscle response. It just means how fast your neurons in your muscles fire and how quickly your muscle responds to the impulse. In other words, slow twitchers can only "will" and "train" themselves to respond so fast. We don't make good figure skaters or hurdle runners! That's why it takes more energy for slow twitchers to do the scissors and tuck jumps, I think. But we usually have super great endurance and strenght with training. Yeah!

RE: Twitchy

Is it just me or am I the only one who doesnt know all the names of these moves!!!!!???? It amazes me that y'all remember the names of them as well as the interval number, Im sitting here reading these posts and laughing cuz Im reading the descriptions of the moves and acting them out to try to remember them!!! Personally, I cant do those scissor things (my knee hates them, ouch) and that last one, or whichever one you have to jump up in the air And let us not forget those lovely side-jack-wave-one-arm-in-the-air-from-side-to-side-all-while-trying-to-keep-from-turing-blue-and-dropping-dead little doozie. Anyhoo, when its all over you do feel pretty proud of yourself!!!

past my bedtime and..

I am glued to this computer reading y'alls (yes, i hail from Texas) goofy messages and cracking up and they are all sooooo true!

my fave part of imax is the recovery!!! i soooo look forward to the grapevine while i'm gasping for air and hoping I don't end up in a pretzel-mess on the ground....i kinda like the jumps at the end cause they're cool ;) (and it's int #10, what's not to like?!)

i'd have to say my least favorite int is those plyo jack things. ouch ouch ouch. and do they never end? no, they just keep going, and going and going...

I really do enjoy IMAX--it is energetic, definitly NOT boring or repetitive, and fun like all Cathe's tapes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.