Infant sleep/nap schedule?

Manmohini

Cathlete
Up to this point, I have eschewed feeding and sleeping schedules for my 3-month old. While I will continue to feed him on cue, I'm beginning to wonder how much sleep he should be getting each day and if there is a more ideal way to shape his day. I find that he gets overtired and cranky a lot. He normally crashes out big time around 8:30 or 9 p.m. and wakes up around 7 or 8 in the morning. Then he takes about three naps a day, but they are erratic and differ in length. Sometimes he doesn't even make it an hour with his naps. Doe these still count?
Manmohini

I only have ajust a sec but there is a WONDERFUL book called
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
by Mark Weissbluth (sp?)

Gina didn't sleep thru the night til she was 1.5!!!! This book fixed us in 3 days.
We followed it w/ Isabel from Day 1 and she is a DREAM sleeper. Always has been.

Good luck. This is not easy. ((hug))

My son (9 months old) naps similar to that. Yesterday, for example, he took 3 short naps, all under an hour. Today he took one long nap, almost 2 hours, and 2 shorter ones. Yes, those short naps count! Sometimes he naps for only around a half hour. This is so different from my daughter, now 3. She was a great sleeper as an infant. She was very predictable and could fall asleep nearly anywhere, usually for at least 90 minutes or more. My son...no way! Anyway, when it comes to naps, I like to follow the baby and try to accommodate when he/she needs them. With my son, the instant I see him rub his eyes I whisk him to his crib.

Mine took three naps until about 10 month (every 3 hours or so) . Then, down to two naps. They are 16 months now, and are just starting to transition to one nap.

At three months, they would sleep when they wanted! :)

Congrats on your new baby!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.