IMAX vs. IMAX 2

tknelsen

Cathlete
I have had IMAX 2 for some time, but today was my first time with my new IMAX DVD....Yowzaa!!! My initial reaction was that it was easier than #2, but I think I may have been lulled into a false sense of security by the simpler step routines. By the last interval (the evil one with the jumping jacks-flying jacks-tuck jumps) my legs felt like they were made out of lead! I literally was jumping up about 1/2 inch, and I'm being generous with myself!

So...what is the general consensus by those of you who have done both workouts numerous times? Is the original tougher than #2? Or am I just going through "body shock" that happens when I try a new workout for the 1st (and 2nd and 3rd time)?

Tracy

p.s. after everything that I have read on these forums, it is going to be several years before I even attempt Rythmic Step!!

I do both of these all of the time. I have read others opinions and am still not sure. Each one has there tougher areas. I thnk they are about equal. I can get through the 9th interval on I max 2 now fairly easily. When I started Interval Max I had a hard time with the last interval and the lunging jumps in what I think is the 7th interval. I think I have more fun with I Max 2 though.
Diane Sue

I'm with Diane Sue...I can't make up my mind. Lately I have been including Imax into my rotation after not doing it regularly for a while. It was very challenging even though I had been doing Imax 2 and MIC. I think they both challenge your body in different ways. Sometimes I think Imax is harder and sometimes I think Imax 2 is harder. Depending on my mood I find them both fun. I don't mind the funky music in Imax. It's all about variety for me! Good luck!
Angela:D

I agree - Imax1 is tougher, but Imax2 is a lot more fun. But, yes, they both give one heck of a workout.

Cheers, Marcia :)

I personally think Imax is harder because Cathe does the same move over & over in the intervals where in IMax2, she does combo moves in most intervals. I LOVE both, but if I had to choose one over the other IMax2 would win for the fun factor and the music. (IMax was my fav tape BEFORE I got IMax 2 so that says, they are both GREAT!) Have fun TRYING to get those feet off the floor an INCH!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I agree Debbie - I think the combo moves in IMax2 make a difference because you get to switch. IMax2 is my current favorite cardio video. The music is so good it really helps you get through it.

Another difference between the two is, Imax is more intense moves from the floor, and Imax 2 is more on the box.
I find Imax 2 easier because I am more at home on the box. Others find Imax easier because they are more at home doing impact from the floor.
Doing both Imax's gives your body challenges and this is why we are in shock when we rotate them. }( :) :)

I too feel that I-Max 1 is more intense than I-Max 2 when done strictly as produced. Can ya believe it - I-Max 1 was the first Cathe workout I ever did. I was too dumb to know any better . . .

Had a moment of pure unadulterated pride and smugness a couple of weeks ago: did I-Max 1 straight through (I'm at the point now with that workout that I can extend all of the anaerobic intervals by 8-16 reps per interval, and upwardly modify the mid-range aerobic cycles with a lot more propulsion moves), AND did intervals 8-10 blast only from I-Max 2.

I like them both; I really love the one-legged hops, straddle-taps, sumo squats, plie jacks and uneven lunges with turns in I-Max 2; great additions to the power intervals in I-Max 1.

A-Jock

I actually break a sweat in the warmup in IMAX 1! Also, Cathe uses 2 risers to add to the intensity. I agree that IMAX 2 is more fun though. Both are great.

Susan C.M.

I'm going to compare the two with my new toy, a Polar Heart Rate Monitor. Boy, has it really opened my eyes as far as how hard I need to work versus what I had been assuming.
:) Lori

I loved IMAX1 until I fell off the step doing it about three years ago and broke my wrist! I've only done it once since then - chicken I guess! But I love IMAX2 - great fun factor as others have noted!

IMAXI feels dated to me now that I've done IMAX2 many times. I feel like Cathe really improved the concept of an interval workout (for example, took out the endless repetition of the same intensity move over & over) so I never do I any more. That said, I do 2 about once a week and I love it. My week doesn't feel right unless I did it amongst my other wide assortment of Cathe work.
Meredith

Tracy I think Imax 1 is harder I prefer the music in 1 but 2 is plenty hard too I know the feeling you mean about the legs feeling like lead! Rythmic step is not as hard or as intense as these 2 but the moves are more complicated it si super fun once you get it!
Lisa

I've never been able to make it through IMAX without modifications of some sort, but can make it through IMAX2 as it's done by Cathe. I find them both fun, but enjoy IMAX2 much more because I CAN get through it. :)

Kris

RE: Beans, Brie, Kathy S . . .

Talkin' 'bout me behind my back (not to mention my bald head) again, I see . . .

You all are too nice!

A-Jock

*i got a full set of nails put on yesterday; can you tell?*

:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.