IMAX 1 - Butt Kicker

Mar

Cathlete
Hi all - A little background: I have only done Gin's "Intense Moves" and K. Voight "Energy Sprint" for Interval Workouts. Got IMAX 1 recently and attempted it last night. I could only get through interval 5 and at that point I felt like I was going to die!! I thought I was fairly advanced, but this workout has humbled me. How many of you got through this on the first attempt? Although I am 51 I can still do most of Cathe's workouts without too much modification. This one however is another story. Will I ever get through this workout?

Mar;(

Mar...you will get thru it with time!! This is the toughest of the 2 Imaxes in my opinion...I am wondering how Imax3 will be...:)...I used to do Energy Sprint myself but once I found Cathe that one seemed easier. On my 1st attempt at Imax1 I am sure I modified ALOT! Maybe just do the first 5 intervals one day and the next five another. I know alot of people did this with Imax2....you are doing great...:)...Carole

I'm about to try IMAX tomorrow morning - now I'm REALLY scared!!

Actually, it will be okay if I get through intervals 1-5. I will then try 6-10 another day, and then hopefully be able to finish the entire workout.

Hang in there, I'm struggling right along with you!!

Tami

Hi Mar,

I'm impressed as all get-out that you were able to get through the first five intervals, unmodified (?) the first time out!!! I modified this workout quite a bit, for at least the first few months I used it. I always did the entire workout, but just used her modified suggestions for parts. For example, with the plyo-jacks in interval 4, I would do 8 plyos, 4 modified, 8 more plyos, 4 modified, etc. Gradually, I increased the plyos to 12 and 2 modified, etc. until one day I was actually able to do all 40 without modifying.

I always liked that Hope had to modify in interval 8, and Cathe tells her "Way to go, Hope!"

This is a hard workout, and meant to be challenging for advanced exercisers. It's good that you found it difficult! You will be very proud of yourself as you gradually conquer each interval, and eventually, do it all.

Have fun!
Sandra

I remember crying tears of joy the first time I got through interval 8 without modification. IMax 1 is the workout I do every Thanksgiving morning! I figure I've earned a big meal after that workout!

IMAX 1 has special meaning to me. It was one of the first Cathe vids I bought way back when. After trying it for the first time I about threw the thing against the wall (LOL) and thought that woman is a crazy woman! I stayed away from Cathe after that for way too long (I know... how dumb was that?). Then a year or so back I braved another attempt and it seemed FUN! SUPER challenging but fun! Now I'm a Cathe junkie like the rest of us here. I still can't do the whole thing without modifying, and I do IMAX 2 a lot more often. They are booth great workouts, even if they always have modified moments :)

I'm a lot like Ducky. I-Max 1 was the first Cathe vid I ever did, and after previewing it I thought, "This should be a snap." Famous last words; I had to modify all of the really mean intervals the first time and I thought Cathe was psychotic. However, because SHE was getting through all of them meant that it could be done, and I pegged away at it, doing it 2X per week, and was able to get through all the intervals without mods within about 3 weeks. The first time I was able to do it without mods I walked around afterward like I'd peed myself for about half an hour, but the endorphin rush coupled with the pride of achievement was something I'll never forget.

I-Max 1 remains a cornerstone of my program. You'll get through it, but you have to do it consistently (IMHO at least once a week from here on in) to master it. Go for it.

A-Jock

Hi Mar, I just started doing IMAX I myself and it is a kicker! I am 45 and like you can do most of Cathe's workouts without too much modification. I made it thru all 10 intervals, but I think the reason is that trying to learn the step moves during the cardio phase for me was hard ( I am step choreography "challenged") so I found myself slowing down to get the steps, which allowed me more recovery time. I do have to say that during the intense jumping I was not nearly as "springy" as I could have been. I felt as tho' I was wearing concrete workout shoes at that point!!

I hear that IMAX 2 is a bit less taxing and once my defective video gets replace I am going to tackle that one. Maybe after getting thru IMAX 1 a few times, I will "breeze" thru IMAX 2 ----- NOT!!!!!!

Have fun!

Deb

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I will try it again over the weekend and if I don't complete it, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'll work it in 2 times a week and I WILL COMPLETE IT!!

Mar}(

You WILL complete it Mar! Just keep at it. I agree...it is HARDER then IMax2! Both are sooo fun. I also think the "secret" is doing it on a regular basis. Just keep in mind that they discontinued the special shoes that Cathe was wearing. (The ones with springs.http://www.mega-content.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/sport/3.gif[/img]) Have fun!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Debbie - You are too funny! Wish I could get my hands on those shoes for the hard core series.

Mar:)

Okay, I had my first encounter with IMax this morning. As I stood there swimming in a sea of sweat and gasping for air I was bound and determined to make it all the way through.

I thought that the choreography and the step portions were much easier to learn than IMax2, but those intervals are SADISTIC - ooh but in a good way!!!

I had to modify - A LOT! I enjoyed the challenge of this workout and can't wait to try it again.

Mar, I just turned 50, and I hear ya! I have ImaxII, but not Imax. I don't know what it is about Cathe's cardio. I run and thought I could do cardio. Hah. I just keep working on it. I try too, not to get on myself too hard and just keep it 'fun'. (If that's possible for people who are 'dying'. ;-) ) I stop, catch my breath, and don't feel guilty about it.

Hi Mar:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I find IMAX 2 more difficult than IMAX 1. Must be those pesky fast-foot repeaters -- my body just doesn't want to do them, and I get frustrated, and when I get frustrated, I run out of breath! I can do them "front-wards" in HSTA, but not sideways.

Plus Interval #9 (IMAX 2). Kills me every time!

Patricia

I find it hard to form an opinion. They're both equally hard to me! And the first time? IMAX Classic, as I call it, darn near killed me...and I'm only kidding a little bit!
That's when I found out I didn't even know what cardio was. Boy have I learned. Thanks Cathe! :p

Ruth;-)

Mar,

The first time I did IMAX was about 3 years ago. I got through it cause I'm just stubborn and wasn't going to let it kick my *ss. I thought I was going to diex( . It took me about a half an hour to cool off. I looked in the mirror and I was beat red and sweating like a PIG:+ .

It's not a breeze for me now by any means, but still one of the hardest Cathe's for me. I have it in my rotation now and have been doing it twice a week for a couple of weeks. Sometimes, based on time constraints I'll only go through interval 7 or 8 but I KNOW I can complete it and that's what counts.

By the way, I'll be 50 in February:eek:

Wow!!

I have both IMAX's but I've never done IMAX cuz I heard that IMAX2 was more fun with the music (ok, ok and I heard it was easier than IMAX ).... but now I'm psyched to dive into IMAX. I'll definitely be doing it this weekend!!!

Thanks guys!! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.