Im training for a half marathon. Ideas Pls

gonnabea5

Cathlete
Today was my first run in training for a half marathon in the fall. I'm hoping to loose weight during this journey as i leave my Cathe cardios behind and forcus on running, Cathe weight lifting and yoga.

If you have any ideas, experiences or comments, let me have them.

I have run 1 10K on Thanksgiving day for the past two years. But, I'm upping the anty.

Wish me luck and blessings.

I've ran 2 HM, last one was 2 weeks ago with PR 1:42. I did 10 weeks training with run 3xweek, 20-30 mpw. I agree on above comment slowly increase your mileage weekly. I tried to incorporate speed work once a week. My long run was 12 miles but everybody of course are different. Most of my training was on treadmill, not my preference but I don't have a choice.
HiiT, plyo legs, cardio/ strength, LIS were the ones I usually add on my off run.
My next HM will be NOvember. If u can do 5k/10k races before your half that usually helps me with my nerves.
Oh also Debbie posted a rotation in behalf of Sean O'Malley recently & I thought that was a good rotation for running.

Hope this helps.
Raciela.

I have done 4 half marathons and have another half in late November.

It sounds like you have plenty of time to train and increase your mileage slowly. I agree about doing some races before hand to help with the nerves. I did a 15K (9.3 miles) a month or so before my first 1/2 and that really gave me confidence. I also allowed myself enough time to actually run 13 miles a couple of weeks before my first 1/2 and it helped knowing that I could actually complete the whole thing.

Your first 1/2 marathon is all about having fun and enjoying the experience. I did my first 1/2 on a very hilly course which was nice because I PR by 8 minutes on my second 1/2.

I run 2 days a week with one run being a long run and the other around 3-5 miles. I also do a day of intervals - running mixed in with other exercises. Besides that I do weights, kettlebells and Crossfit type workouts.

Good Luck!

You received lots of good suggestions! Take it up slowly, stretch, and most of all have fun. Good luck! :)

Kathy G

I run 2 days a week with one run being a long run and the other around 3-5 miles. I also do a day of intervals - running mixed in with other exercises. Besides that I do weights, kettlebells and Crossfit type workouts.

Good Luck!

This is how I train. I have been a runner for 30 years (on/off...mostly on). I used to run a lot, but then I cut back and added more variety (intervals, plyo, strength, Kbs, etc) and I run faster now than ever. Anyway, if you train this way you will be less likely to injure yourself and you will be a stronger runner. You definitely need to gradually add distance, and have practice runs...but since this is your first half, just enjoy every moment. Good luck!!

One more thing....you don't have to give up your Cathe cardio workouts, these have helped improve my running as well!!

I have run 3 halfs and one full marathon. Currently training for a half marathon in June, going to run it with my 15 yo ds and DH. I'm a slow runner, my half marathons have all been between 2 hrs and 2:18 . I have used Hal Higdon's training plans in the past, and ran 4-5 days/week. I always really missed my Cathe workouts, I'm thinking of running fewer days and doing other type of workouts. I usually do a 10 week training plan for a half.

Did a 8 mile run in 1 hr/21 min, feeling confident as the race isn't till mid-June.

I'm always at my lowest weight when I concentrate on running.
Hope you enjoy the experience, let us know how it goes!

What is the time limit for a half marathon....I will b running one in October so this thread is great:)

All these are great suggestions. You all are so smart and I'm not surprised your suggestions have lined up with what I've been reading in RunnersWorld mag. Don't know what the time limits are. I have a running plan for a 5K, 10K and half running back to back. I will keep some of Cathe cardios, but run 3 times a week now and will move up to 4 times when the 10K training starts. I'm happy to be changing things up a bit as I get older. I feel like I'm re-inventing myself.

I'm another Cardio Coach fan (bless you, Sean). He will take you to new endurance levels for sure. I also really love the training schedules offered at RunnersWorld.com. They use to be free, but now I think they are about $20 for the download. WELL WORTH IT!
They will guide you through all the different ways you should be training (interval runs, hills, speed runs, etc.) as well as how many days a week to train. Good luck!

What is the time limit for a half marathon....I will b running one in October so this thread is great:)

Time limits for half marathons vary so I would check with the race director that will be handling the race that you have signed up for. Most of them are 3 1/2 to 4 hours but if they are coupled with a marathon, then the time limit would be longer.

The time limit for the first half marathon I ran was 6 hours because that was the time limit for the marathon. The last half marathon I did in March had no limited. It was run in County Park in Florida so no roads were blocked off.

Time limits for half marathons vary so I would check with the race director that will be handling the race that you have signed up for. Most of them are 3 1/2 to 4 hours but if they are coupled with a marathon, then the time limit would be longer.

The time limit for the first half marathon I ran was 6 hours because that was the time limit for the marathon. The last half marathon I did in March had no limited. It was run in County Park in Florida so no roads were blocked off.

thank u lioness.....i appreciate it:)

All these are great suggestions. You all are so smart and I'm not surprised your suggestions have lined up with what I've been reading in RunnersWorld mag. Don't know what the time limits are. I have a running plan for a 5K, 10K and half running back to back. I will keep some of Cathe cardios, but run 3 times a week now and will move up to 4 times when the 10K training starts. I'm happy to be changing things up a bit as I get older. I feel like I'm re-inventing myself.

that's exactly what i'm doing...i'm running 3x's per week and as it gets closer to my marathons i will move up to 4 plus doing other dvds to help also....good luck with ur training:)

One thing I would say is be careful with the diet. If you already do plenty of exercise with Cathe DVDs, you won't need to add in extra calories to fuel your running.

This is more psychological thing than anything. Often when we switch activities, we are taxed in a way that our previous activities didn't quite tax us. So if you are used to doing lots of Cathe type cardio, which may now feel easy to your body, the switch to running may make you feel like you are exercising much harder than you normally do. One effect of this is to make us think, "well, I just ran 7 miles, that's a lot, so I can afford to eat this brownie and then some." Keep up with this thinking and there will be no weight loss along with the running!

Running can lead to weght loss, as long as you just continue to eat normally, and resist the mind tricks that might lead you to overcompensate with additional "treats" that just aren't needed.

Good luck and have fun! It's always a great thing to step outside of the comfort zone, challenge yourself with a new objective and watch yourself grow!

Clare

You have gotten great advice here so I don't have much to add. Just wanted to say congrats on your decision and have fun!!

I finished my first half in March (RnR DC) and it was awesome. To me, the training was harder than the race itself but so rewarding. I joined a 1/2 training program and what I loved about the whole experience was that in the weeks leading up to the race, our long runs became goals in themselves. Each week as we increased the distance of our long runs I was doing something I'd never done before and it was a real confidence builder. Next up: Chicago Spring Half in May.

Enjoy your journey! You will be amazed at what your body is capable of. And, like so many others have said, be sure to STRETCH! Also, a foam roller is a beautiful thing. :)

I'm running my first half marathon in 3 weeks in Nashville. I am a new runner and I have been training since mid January for this. I ran a 10K about a month ago and ran the whole thing without walking in 60 mins. (YAY Me!) I have heard from several different people on how far you should be able to run going into a half. Some say you should be able to run half the distance of the half marathon (6.5), other say at least 10 miles. My longest run is 7 miles. Hoping to up that to 8 miles by next week. Am I setting an unrealistic goal by trying to finish a half with only 3 weeks to go? I maintain a pace of 10 min/mile. Any thoughts or tips on what else I should be doing?

Thanks,

I'm running my first half marathon in 3 weeks in Nashville. I am a new runner and I have been training since mid January for this. I ran a 10K about a month ago and ran the whole thing without walking in 60 mins. (YAY Me!) I have heard from several different people on how far you should be able to run going into a half. Some say you should be able to run half the distance of the half marathon (6.5), other say at least 10 miles. My longest run is 7 miles. Hoping to up that to 8 miles by next week. Am I setting an unrealistic goal by trying to finish a half with only 3 weeks to go? I maintain a pace of 10 min/mile. Any thoughts or tips on what else I should be doing?

Thanks,

Well, that depends on you. With only 3 weeks to go and just running 8 miles, I would think that adding another 5 seems like a lot. A half is 13.1 miles. I try not to add more than 10% of my distance per week to prevent injury.

Tell me more about this foam roller stuff.

Tia,

Alisha

rapidbreath....foam rolling is very awesome....u can really target a specific area of ur body that may be tight or sore with a foam roller and get pretty deep into that mucscle if that's what u need....and u can also use for some exercises also to make them more difficult.....it's a really nice addition to have.....they have them at just about any store that sells fitness stuff:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.