I'm Scared of P90X!

Hahahaa..sorry to bring this topic up *again*, but, I've scoured the message boards for HOURS now and I've really got to get back to work! My husband just received the program yesterday and he's ready to get going on it. I'm in the middle of one of Fitness Freak's rotations right now (and loving it! Thanks Debbie!) but I'd like to eventually start the P90X program after. I've got approx. 10 more pounds to lose until I hit my goal weight and I'm wondering if I can get there with P90X? It seems like everyone who's tried it here hasn't really lost much but have gained strength. While this is a goal also, I'm really determined to lose the rest of the weight primarily. I was concerned with the lack of cardio and the nutrition plan. While I was shocked to learn that I need 1900 calories to lose (again, thank you Debbbie!), I have been coming in under that and feeling fine. As many of you know, the P90X nutrition plan suggests 1800 cals. I understand that this is because the program is so physically demanding, but still! It scares me!

So, can anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone used P90X for weight loss? Thanks so much - you guys always give me the answers I'm looking for!!

There's no reason to be afraid!! If you can handle Cathe, then you can handle P90X!! And the nutrition guidelines are just that... guidelines. If you feel that you're taking in too many cals, then scale it back. But just remember not to go too low, that's counter productive!

I'm one of those that hasn't lost much weight, but I am already at a good weight anyway so I wasn't too concerned about the scale. If you want to, you could try the Lean version which has Core Synergistics once a week and I would suggest subbing in another cardio workout for CardioX and I generally sub in a Cathe kickboxing for KenpoX.

Feel free to email me if you have more questions! My dh has been doing just the weight training from P90X and he's getting great results!! It's the first exercise program that I've ever gotten him to do with me!!! :)

Jess,
Thanks for the helpful info :) That's another question that I had - what is the difference between the different versions? Classic or lean?

My hunny has a lot of weight to lose but he's excited about the program so I really hope he sticks with it as planned. I'm excited that he's finally taking his health and fitness serious :)

Classic has 3 days of weights, Lean has 2 days of weights and you do Core Synergistics every week instead of just recovery weeks. And instead of PlyoX, they recommend CardioX (but you can sub for Plyo if you want).

Good luck to your dh!! My dh has really surprised me with how well he's doing!! He's increasing strength and looking great!! (he's not overweight, just wants to gain muscle!)

I love the P90x videos I purchased.

I think Tony Horton is so motivating.

I plan to purchase the entire program while I wait for STS....

You are going to LOVE P90X and the results you'll have. You can lose the last 10lbs, just remember to BRING IT each and every workout!

Tony is awesome!!!
He was my age when he filmed P90X and I find him so motivating, funny, and good looking:7

Yeah, Tony IS a cutie ;) For those who did the program, did you follow the recommended nutritional guideline? Like I mentioned, 1800 calories seems pretty hefty, but then again, the workload is so extreme. When i first started working out with Cathe, I was not getting enough calories and feeling awful and couldn't make it through a workout. Obviously, I realized that was my problem and changed it and now I'm fine. (However, Body Max 2 still kicks my butt like nothing else!) Thanks as usual!!

Awww, thanks Tina! How are things going for you?? I'm ready to start week 5 on Monday, bring on the DOMS from CST!! }(

I've kind of done a mix of things. My 1st round I didn't really follow the guidelines but ate cleaner. My 2nd round I was better about following the guidelines (and started tracking my cals at http://www.sparkpeople.com) and saw better results because I figured out I was not eating enough!! Now I just just write down my food daily but don't track it every day, just once in a while to make sure I'm on target. Just writing it down works for me. Good luck & keep me posted on your progress!

I joined sparkpeople a few weeks ago and it's really helpful. I know its not an exact science but it provides a good guideline of what's going into my body! Since dinner is something that I usually can't calculate to the calorie, I leave that section empty and just make sure my calories for the rest of the day are in check ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.