If you've joined the forums within the past year

amyg

Cathlete
We're glad to see you around!! This seems like the right time to me, if you'll indulge me, for a FRIENDLY REMINDER: There is a "Search" option in the upper right menu. ;) You can do an advanced search and try to find many answers to your current questions!!! Ha, just try "P90X" as a search item and see what results you get! :eek:

(Also if you don't already know, Cathe has also posted and pinned a thread in Ask Cathe for what that particular forum is meant for, and each different forum has a description of what you're likely to find discussed inside. Very helpful for those looking for answers and friends we can relate to!!)

Hope this helps you feel more at home here. I know we are all in this together yet answering the same questions repeatedly for years can take its toll! ;)

Thanks!

:)

I'm confused.:confused:
Is Cathe upset with us that she has to answer questions?

I try to search for answers before I ask Cathe a question. Most of my questions have been about STS. Searching through the STS forum is often like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

I'm very sorry Cathe!!! I really do try to find the answer first:eek:

I'm confused.:confused:
Is Cathe upset with us that she has to answer questions?

I try to search for answers before I ask Cathe a question. Most of my questions have been about STS. Searching through the STS forum is often like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

I'm very sorry Cathe!!! I really do try to find the answer first:eek:

I think Amy is referring to the questions asked here in the O/F, not in ask Cathe. HTH! :)

Well, I'm completely missing it!
The original post said to look in the Ask Cathe forum for forum descriptions. I did. Cathe has one sticky that talks about what the Ask Cathe forum is for, nothing about the other forums.

I am happy to answer questions. Sometimes you get a million unrelated posts to a search and who wants to spend an hour looking?

I do use the search feature but sometimes I can't find the answer.

I also think with new people joining all the time, they may have some good input on a question asked before.

I know that people may get frustrated answering the same questions over the years but I have no problem with it. Yes, the search function can be helpful but sometimes you just want to post a question to see what kind of responses you can get--new people with new advice and experiences are joining every day and their ideas can be helpful.

My opinion is that if you don't want to answer a question or post, don't answer it. There are many other people here that will. I'm not trying to come off harsh or rude, it's just my take on it. The OP made a good point about the search feature for those who aren't aware of it and it's important to remember that certain sub-forums of Cathe's site are for specific questions/topics. It's all about familliarizing yourself with a site/forum when you're new to it. It comes with time. :)

Sometimes facts/opinions change, right?
If I would search for a post on the FIRM from 5 or 6 years ago, compared to recent reviews, I'd be very disappointed. I know I've asked recent questions on CC but that triggered people to respond to me w/their latest achievements in weight loss, fitness level etc by using the program that I found quite inspiring.

For those of you that are confused, Cathe is not upset with anyone for having to answer ?'s. Some veteran Cathe forum members are frustrated by seeing the same topics and questions being brought up...which is fine. The search option is there and you can find great info. If you have the time and are looking to educate yourself on a topic , say for instance "circuit training", I say go ahead and search, but if you're looking for something specific and are not having much luck searching go ahead and ask. Please don't be intimidated or feel as if you are asking a stupid question. There's always someone here willing to help ;).

Chastity

ETA: Allison, I must say you explained my feelings better than I did..Thanks :)

Last edited:
I know that people may get frustrated answering the same questions over the years but I have no problem with it. Yes, the search function can be helpful but sometimes you just want to post a question to see what kind of responses you can get--new people with new advice and experiences are joining every day and their ideas can be helpful.

My opinion is that if you don't want to answer a question or post, don't answer it. There are many other people here that will. I'm not trying to come off harsh or rude, it's just my take on it. The OP made a good point about the search feature for those who aren't aware of it and it's important to remember that certain sub-forums of Cathe's site are for specific questions/topics. It's all about familliarizing yourself with a site/forum when you're new to it. It comes with time. :)

ITA! Heck, I'm not a new member and I don't use the search function! I want up to the minute info, and I figure my fellow Catheites can provide that. :D

I am new and I have no problem with doing a little "due diligence" first rather than blurting out a question that has been answered ten times over. There may be new answers to a topic but "historical" research is also necessary.

I don't mind answering questions or seeing certain topics come up over and over again. We have some new members and it's great to get their input as well.

I know there has been tons of questions regarding kettlebells lately. I love kettlebells and enjoy talking about them. So ask away!!

I see nothing wrong with newbies asking questions that have been asked before. Like others have pointed out, there can be new information not previously shared on the subject, as well as other new people that might provide a different perspective to the question.

I would hate to think that new posters are made to feel self conscious about asking anything they need to know. We were ALL new at one time.

I think people miss the point though. There is a wealth of history of discussion on various topics such as P90X and from what I can gather, these are experienced exercisers who have knowledge to share and those people may not necessarily still post on these forums or they have simply grown tired of repeating themselves over and over again to people who have become too lazy to be informed forum citizens ;). If you are really interested in a topic, such as P90X, you would be completely foolish not to do a search. I think Amy was just trying to offer a friendly reminder that a little effort can go a loooooong way ;)

I don't mind either. Sometimes I use the search feature but usually I'm too lazy and/or short on time.

OTOH, I must confess sometimes it is a bit frustrating to see the really common questions (Cardio or weights first? What does eating clean mean? What's your favorite body part to work out? What do you do for a living? Where do you live? etc. etc.) asked over & over..........;)

I agree that it's a PITA to answer the same question for the Nth time, (especially since, as any familiar with my posts knows, I tend to answer in depth!). In that case, I will usually give a brief answer, and ask the poster to do a search. I've also started posting some of my longer answers to forum FAQ in my blog.

One of the things I have always enjoyed about the cathe forums is the fact that I do not feel afraid to ask questions. Some other sites I visit seem to attack people or make them feel unwelcome to ask questions. No one on this site is a cathe.com employee that is required and expected to answer questions. I think that if you feel the question is repetitive then and it is annoying you, move on and don't answer it. There are plenty of other people that will. The nature of a public forum is that there will always be new people joining with new questions that have been asked before. Perhaps cathe could create a section for veteran forum members who want to only discuss new and never before asked questions.

Monica

I agree that it's a PITA to answer the same question for the Nth time, (especially since, as any familiar with my posts knows, I tend to answer in depth!). In that case, I will usually give a brief answer, and ask the poster to do a search. I've also started posting some of my longer answers to forum FAQ in my blog.

I'm just not getting this?!
Why do it if it gives you grief?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.