I have mono!

Stebby

Cathlete
My doctor phoned me yesterday to tell me that I have infectious mononucleosis. I had a blood test on Thursday because a previous blood test in April had showed that my platelet count was very low. So, now I know why I have been feeling so fatigued lately!

Apparently 95% of adults are immune to mono because they contracted it as kids or teens. Two of my brothers had mono, so how come I didn't get it as a kid? How did I get to be one of the lucky 5%? (Grrrr.) I'm nearly 47 years old, for goodness' sake. I think I've had it since March, which is when I had a terrible sore throat and laryngitis that seemed to go on for weeks, along with swollen lymph notes in my neck. Everything I've read online says it is supposed to resolve within a month, so how is it that I am still infected after 3 months? (Grrrr.)

I am not a risk to the general population, so you, my forum friends, are safe. However, I am not supposed to share straws, cutlery or body fluids with anybody. I have to get more sleep and eat healthy (now I finally have real motivation to eat healthy, maybe I will drop this weight).

Tomorrow I have to go back to the doctor. She wants to test me for an enlarged spleen and test my liver function. I will talk to her about my exercise program - I hope she is not expecting me to give up my workouts! (Grrrr.)

Any mono survivors out there? Can you tell me your stories? How serious is it, how long does it really last, did you have to take time off work/school, what were your symptoms, how did you deal with it?

Yawwnnnn... getting really sleepy.
x(

Stebby

Exercise? Man, I couldn't MOVE when I had mono (I was 16). I would get up, get myself to the bathroom, get back to bed and sleep for hours. I was off school for six weeks. When I went back, I had to go back kind of part-time, because I was still so exhausted.

Good luck!

Oh, no! I've never had it, but my brother had it about 5 times in college!! I did however have my first case of strep throat last week and it was AWFUL!! I have never had it even though my girls seem to get it every winter and have NO idea how I got it!!

No advice, but take yourself and get some rest!!!

Awww, I feel for you. I had mono the summer after my freshman year in college. *ahem* That was a little while ago.

I was down for the count, had to sleep all the time, I seem to recall I had to take an antibiotic, and I could only eat ramen noodles and cranberry juice.

I'm sorry you're sick. Take it very, very, very easy and give yourself longer than they tell you to recover.

I was a mess with mono too (at 18). It took me about 6 months to fully recover to the point where I could exercise again. What a pain in the butt!

I wish you a quick, solid recovery. :) Use this time to do things that perhaps you didn't have time for before (reading, writing, projects, crafts), and don't rush back too soon. I made that mistake and ended up delaying my recovery.

Well, I guess I'm in the lucky 5% because I never had it and none of my sisters had it either.

I have nothing to add except to take care and rest.

{{{HUGS}}}

Well I think I was a rare case. I got mono in high school maybe junior year ? (can't remember). Mine started with a belly ache. I was tired but only had for a week and a half and that was during finals which I got excused and then was fine (so got to sleep during that time which was great)!!! I played sports at that time and obviously could not continue because I remember them saying something about my spleen and that it can be hit (played basketball). For that week or so I was super tired but as I said broke out of it quickly!!

(((((Energy Hugs))))))

I got it in college. My DH (whom I was dating at the time) got it from me (or maybe vice versa) and he dropped out and went home for a quarter. It was nice to know why I was falling asleep in all of my classes.

Sorry to hear you have it. Just take it easy and don't do too much. Your spleen and I think liver can become enlarged and you don't want to risk injury. Plus, now you have an excuse to SLEEP!!!

I had mono in high school and was out of it physically and mentally! I missed a lot of school and slept all the time. I could barely eat. I lost a lot of weight too. The fatigue eased off slowly, but in all it lasted months! I remember all the nodes or whatever they are called in my neck sticking out for quite a while - it was kind of gross.

It sounds like your isn't too bad if you are thinking of working out! So that is a good sign :)

Take care!

Thanks for all the info and good wishes! Funny thing is, I definitely need more sleep than usual, but I'm not completely out of it as many posters have said they were. I am still doing my spinning classes twice a week, plus 2-3 Cathe workouts. I've been keeping all my workouts to under an hour, but provided I do them in the morning, I don't seem to have any trouble doing them. I hope this means I have a mild case.

I had mono and Hepatitis A at the same time when I was 17. I was totally wiped out by it. I was diagnosed right before leaving for college and my doctor wanted me to take my first semester off. I didn't want to miss out on the freshman experience with everyone else and decided to go anyway. The first couple of weeks were rough - I needed so much sleep!

I met my DH that first semester, so I'm so glad that I didn't skip it!! :)

Erica

I was diagnosed with mono just yesterday :( It's unbelievably awful. I've had body aches that can't be soothed with anything and for the last week my throat has been so painful that I can't swallow even water without extraordinary pain. As of yesterday, I haven't been able to eat a thing. The pain has kept me from sleeping for days, and I'm supposed to be getting as much rest as possible....

Chances are, the fact that you have kept up with your activities has been the reason it hasn't gone away, even if it is a mild case. If you aren't careful with your activity, you risk severely damaging your liver, rupturing your spleen, and ending up with chronic mono. The only thing the doctors told me was that I needed to rest, and ABSOLUTELY NO EXERCISE for at least a month - not that I can even think of exercise now. I would give up exercise for a year if it meant this sore throat would go away! Gladly.

Good luck and take care! I'm crying for my mommy right now :(

I was diagnosed with mono just yesterday :( It's unbelievably awful. I've had body aches that can't be soothed with anything and for the last week my throat has been so painful that I can't swallow even water without extraordinary pain. As of yesterday, I haven't been able to eat a thing. The pain has kept me from sleeping for days, and I'm supposed to be getting as much rest as possible....

Chances are, the fact that you have kept up with your activities has been the reason it hasn't gone away, even if it is a mild case. If you aren't careful with your activity, you risk severely damaging your liver, rupturing your spleen, and ending up with chronic mono. The only thing the doctors told me was that I needed to rest, and ABSOLUTELY NO EXERCISE for at least a month - not that I can even think of exercise now. I would give up exercise for a year if it meant this sore throat would go away! Gladly.

Good luck and take care! I'm crying for my mommy right now :(

You poor thing Stebby!!! I had mono a few years ago and it was awful. I actually thought I had strep because it started with my throat basically turning white. I kept going to the doctor because I was in so much pain because of my throat and I was actually coughing up blood (sorry to be too graphic for you alls!). It turned out that the mono basically attacked just my throat and I ended up having what was left of my poor tonsils taken out as soon as I was well enough for the surgery. It was truly one of the low points of my life ;). My DH gave it to me by the way and yes, I still harbor a grudge because he wasn't that sick at all from it - it affects everyone differently. All I can say is REST! If you do not take it easy it will drag on and on. The serious side affects lasted about 2 months for me and after that I was just fatigued for a while. I was good to go in 6 months in time for my wedding though - yes, I still married him!

HUGE HUGS!!!

sblordita - I cried for my mommy too! Literally! I hung on to her arm and BEGGED her not to go to work one day when I was in particular agony. Poor mom!

My son (14) was diagnosed with Mono last month. He recovered in about 3 weeks. However, my sister had Mono when she was 18. She pushed herself and continued to exercise. Her Mono got MUCH worse and it took a full year for her to recover.
My advice would be to kank the spinning classes and allow your body to heal.

Sarah

I had mono a few years ago. The best advice I can give you is just listen to your body and drink alot of water!!! Water Water Water - its always important but even more necessary with mono.

I think I took about 2-3 months with no activity and then gradually got back into exercising. Some days I was able to do it - other days I just didn't have it in me. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.