I have a rotator cuff injury

MadnNatsmom

Cathlete
My doc recommended physical therapy, but because the trauma is so minor (just some inflammation showed on the x-ray, no tears discernible) he also thinks that it will get better on its own.

However, he says if I DO have a small tear, the PT will be able to detect it even though it didn't show up on the x-ray when he puts me through evaluation and exercises.

If you've had this type of injury, what did you do?

If I had this type of injury I would ask friends, colleagues, family, the mailman....anyone, if they have a PT that they would recommend and why they would recommend them. I would be most inclined to go to a sports injury clinic as other PT clinics may be more specific to rehab or motor vehicle accidents or geriatrics. Being healthy and physically active, a sports clinic caters to clients willing and able to comply with homecare and remedial exercises.

The shoulder and rotator cuff can be very tricky (the beautiful range of motion we have in this joint coupled with the tiny little muscles that initiate some of the movements make it very vulnerable to injury) the fibrous joint capsule of the shoulder is prone to becoming capsulized or 'frozen' if it is over protected after injury. Ice always helps with acute soft tissue injuries. A few times a day I would take the shoulder through it's PAIN FREE range of motion by leaning over as you would to do a single arm row, retract the shoulder and move the arm like a pendulum in PAIN FREE circles slowly to the right 5X and to the left 5X. This is not a 'no pain, no gain' situation, if it hurts to the point of spiking your breath or gritting your teeth, stop and wait until the joint is ready. Compliance with the tedium of exercises and ice/heat therapy makes a world of difference with this type of injury. HTH :) Good luck and please keep us posted.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Laurie,

Thank you so much! The PT clinic is actually sports/athlete-specific. They come highly recommended from some personal trainers I know.

I guess I was REALLY babying my shoulder because as soon as my doc gave me the okay to resume modified exercise I wasn't so afraid to move my shoulder and voila! - it feels SO much better already.

I HATE icing, but I will.

(I think I injured it during upright rows. I have been doing them for years and never have had a problem.)

I tore my rotator cuff several years ago while doing bicep curls to one of Tracie Long's Firm videos.

Anyway, I wento to PT for a few weeks. They showed me exercises using both bands and light weights. Also, I took motrin 800s for several weeks (4-6) to bring down the inflammation. Both the motrin and the PT were really helpful. I suggest you go see a PT as they can properly diagnose what you have and the severity of the injury. My doctor told me I had tennis elbow. The PT immediately knew I tore my rotator cuff and proved it (ouch, ouch, ouch)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.