I hate running--is it really necessary?

As everyone else has said: no, running isn't necessary. In fact, I think it's not a form of exercise most people can keep up as a long-term habit without injury. I can't run (I screwed a knee up years ago doing so), but I find that power walking is a challenging, sustainable way to cross-train. If you work up to a speed that would actually feel easier to run at (I'm not quite there yet), you actually burn more calories than running, because you are forcing your body to be inefficient.

If needing to be in proximity of a rest room is what keeps you from running, it will also be a concern for walking, but with a bit of thought, you can plan a route that passes near rest rooms (in parks or fast-food restaurants), or develop a 'cloverleaf' walking pattern, that starts at your house, and returns (making one loop), then takes off in another direction and returns (making anouther loop), and so on, for as many loops as you wish (I recommend 4--one in each direction---each 15 minutes long, for an hour-long workout).

You can also find water fountains in parks, or carry a waist pack with a water bottle (www.walkerswarehouse.com has some, for example) or a camel pack (which holds more).

If you don't like walking either, Traci gave an excellent list of cross-training activities you can choose from.

I LOVE LOVE RUNNING :) But I don't think its necessary, however, I do think that its good to do some walking then or something like that....I guess it just seems like it would be good to do something that your body does naturally - - and walking is about as natural as you can get :)

I never have problems with my bladder either, so that helps me when I am gone for one hour running......I don't worry about water either! I drink plenty before I head out and right aaway when I get back :)

I think walk/run combo is great too on days when your not quite with it ;)

I'm glad to know there are others out there who don't like and/or can't run for whatever reason. It has no appeal to me whatsoever although I admire those who do it. I much prefer a good brisk walk with my dog or a hike up the side of a mountain (my knees...not so much ;-) ) In fact, I don't have access to a pool or a spinny thingy so hiking works quite nice (and I enjoy being in the woods).

Running is definitely not necessary & I agree with Kathryn (Kathryn, we agree on something! :p ) that long term running can be potentially very damaging to joints, especially knees, hips & lower back. My ex, who ran every day, developed arthritis in his hips in his late 30s. I used to run on occasion but I'm already having knee soreness from high impact step so I cut it out entirely.

If you want to shock your body, maybe you can jump rope in your yard? If you do it on grass it's pretty low impact & a fabulous cardio workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.