I HATE MY JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh, there's nothing worse than hating your job and facing it every day.

Hugs to you. I've been there. :(

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

I used to work with architects, now it's engineers,...it's not what they do; it's that they're idiots! (but, I may be a little jaded in my opinion of them right now!) Although it's not blatant, certain divisions here have a very old school, boys club mentality. That's most of it. Also, it's just one of those places where the left hand rarely knows what the right hand is doing. No one is really in charge, or will make a decision because they don't want the buck to stop with them.

I do have a third interview with another company that I feel very good about (the interview and the company) tomorrow. Another engineering firm, but they seem to have their sh*t together much more than here.

Enough...I'm even boring myself.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!

Oh lord, not engineers!!! Oh, I feel for you. I mean, I really shouldn't say that, since my dad was one, but yeah, if I'd had to work for that man I probably would have killed him:p

My friend's husband is an engineer. Oh My. I feel your pain. He went with my husband to get some old furniture out of a house. He wanted to start measuring everything to make sure it fit. My husband had most of it on the truck while the engineer was still measuring. John (my husband) thought the other guy was going to take it all off the truck and measure it and put it right back on the truck - despite the fact that everything was loaded up and ready to go at that point.

This same engineer INSISTS to me that barbells are not made any shorter that six feet long. I showed him pictures - and he still wanted to tell me I was wrong. He was telling me to get a weight lifting belt and tie weights to it and put the darn belt over my NECK. He is the sweetest, most patient man, but you can't tell him ANYTHING. He knows it all. :7

My beloved SO is an electrical engineer and I have told him on more than one occasion that I would cry if I had to work with or for him.

Hey! I'm an engineer! :p What are you all saying???

Seriously, though, almost all of my coworkers are old men and they drive me absolutely batty. They can be the most sexist, racist, hard-headed bunch of whiny jerks. I swear I'm the most mature person in my group, even though I'm the youngest. I totally feel your pain...

Emily...

I would LOVE to work with you!!!!

Honestly, it's the ones who are "in power" (or really want to be) that are the problem. I work with a woman here who is an engineer and she's amazing. Gets right to the point, makes a decision, stands by it, and doesn't need to have a p*ssing contest over ever issue. AND she has a toddler is, is pregnant with her second child, is off on Fridays and STILL gets more done than most of the senior-level dudes!!!

But it's not just the engineers. My "boss" is an issue, as well. I won't even go into that.....

Natalie,

I once worked with an electrical engineer who tried to explain to me how to order a light bulb. A regular task lamp run-of-the mill light bulb. He went into 15 minutes of detail about the insides and workings of a light bulb. This is the same guy I saw staring straight into a lit light bulb in his lamp...I'm not sure how long he stared, but one of my co-workers, who sat near him, called me and said, "Robert is staring into the light bulb in his lamp...and it's on." I walked over, and he was still sitting in his cube, staring into it. FUH---reaky!!!!

My ex is really smart (except for the fact that he let me get away - LOL) and he has trouble with simple stuff at times. He is a critical care RN, and his clinical skills and knowledge of chemistry, biology, math etc are amazing. However - there was a mouth wash or chewing gum commercial on a few years ago that said something about the temperature in the human mouth being close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. My brainy RN said "that's stupid, it's not that hot" I said to him "what are the 3 places you might check a patient's temperature". He looked kind of sheepish and said, "oh yeah" Sometimes I guess people can be so smart that they have trouble with the simple, everyday stuff. I'd trade with them in a second if I could be that smart and make that kind of $.

I'm an engineer and my fellow co-workers/engineers are the BEST GUYS EVER!!!! I am so proud to call them my co-workers and so honored to call them my friends.

I work with very few women and probably the woman with whom I work the most closely is a fellow Catheite!!!! (Speaking of which, the men at work are very supportive of my working out. They get a kick out of my Cathe calendar, my bringing my step on work trips and my kickboxing moves!)

I hope things improve for you TeTe!

Shelley

You're doing the right thing by looking for a new job - no one should stay in a job she/he hates because you spend so much time at work, after all. If you figure all the time you spend working & sleeping, there ain't much left!

TeTe - I think I'm very ashamed to admit that I don't know! I just know engineer - not sure what specific kind:p If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say electrical, since he also trained as an electrician when he was young and all the work he did had to do with transformers and power stations and such.

Isn't there a big difference between engineers? Emily and my DH are computer engineers, and they are both sweet, lovely people. The guys my DH works with are the nicest, most ego-free, most infinitely patient, most teamwork-oriented bunch you would ever want to meet.

(Okay Emily, I'll take that $$ now). ;) :+

ETA: Teresa, I am so glad to hear you have been actively looking for a new position! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back