I did it! Challenge completed!

kathryn

Cathlete
This past Saturday, I participated in a 5k (one of many this year). The next day, I decided that the weather isn't going to stay this nice for too long, so I should get in as much walking as I can before the weather turns bad and I end up going back to more indoor workouts. That vague goal eventually metamorphosized into a "5-day/5k-a-day" challenge to myself, that I just finished.

Every day, I took a 5k+ walk, working on my RW form and trying to stick to my usual race pace as much as possible (but taking some slower 'laps' as needed). Today was actually my fastest day (though still not as fast as I eventually want to be).

My dogs are barking at me a bit after each walk, but by the next day, they feel fine and ready to go again. And I don't have the DOMS I sometimes get after going the same speed on the same route.~

If I were a 'sponsored athlete", my sponsors would include Deekron Krikorian, the "fitness DJ" ( www.motiontraxx.com ) and DJ Steve Boyett ( www.podrunner.com ) for the music to keep me pushing (today's mix was a 160-175 bpm Motiontraxx mix) and Brendan Brazier, Vega and Sunwarrior for the fuel to prepare and recover from the workouts.

Tomorrow, I'll do a Tabata track workout (the warm-up and cooldown/stretch on those are both longer than the 'workout' itself!), then it's two days off until another competitive 5k.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Kathryn!

What is your fastest RW time?

I'm not the speediest racewalker (just started this summer, after 3 years of being a 'speedwalker").

My fastest 5k race time was 35:47 (last fall, before I took up racewalking).

I actually haven't gotten faster overall (results this year in the 36-37+ minute range), in fact learning the new style initially slowed me down a bit. I still am 'stuck' at around 4.9-5.1 mph overall, but I'm gradually building up to getting faster laps on my training walks.

Looks like I'm not going to make the 35 mn goal I set for this year (maybe next!). I was optimistic about it, because my season speed goal for last year was to break the 36-minute barrier, which I did.

kathryn, excellent challenge! Making the switch now is great timing, 3 years is a significant base, wouldn't you think? and the adjustment period, temporary. You're doing great!

I especially like your "if I were a sponsored athlete..." This could happen...
Good Luck! :)

I'm not the speediest racewalker (just started this summer, after 3 years of being a 'speedwalker").

My fastest 5k race time was 35:47 (last fall, before I took up racewalking).

I actually haven't gotten faster overall (results this year in the 36-37+ minute range), in fact learning the new style initially slowed me down a bit. I still am 'stuck' at around 4.9-5.1 mph overall, but I'm gradually building up to getting faster laps on my training walks.

Looks like I'm not going to make the 35 mn goal I set for this year (maybe next!). I was optimistic about it, because my season speed goal for last year was to break the 36-minute barrier, which I did.

Ummmm, I consider 35:47 as pretty darn fast! Awesome!!!

That's great Kathryn! Your time is awesome! I attended an event a couple weekends ago called "Walk "N' Roll" which included people in wheelchairs. I went prepared to jog it but found out you could only WALK or ROLL! Let me tell you...speed/race walking is MUCH HARDER then jogging! Oh my gosh! It was tough. Plus, I had worn running shoes which were not condusive to fast walking! Let's just say I was feeling it the next day. You goooo, great accomplishment...5 days in a ROW! :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.