I can't get through Cycle Max

Amy Steppe

Cathlete
I consider myself to be fairly fit, but Cycle Max is slaying me. It is mainly the lactic acid that quickly builds in my quads. It is killing me. Any suggestions? Will I ever build up the endurance to go like Cathe and her fabulous cast?

Oh, I have never used a spin bike or any type of exercise bike in my life and I have not used a regular bicycle since I was 11 years old.

I say give it time. I completely understand what you are saying about the quads--I was shocked how quickly mine failed.:eek:

I have never done spinning. I don't have a road bike--only a mountain bike that I ride infrequently when the weather is nice. I knew spinning was hard and would be different. I was so anxious to do Cycle Max that I tried the express premix the day after Afterburn--big mistake. I barely made it through--and that was with pausing between chapters. Every time Cathe reminded us not to be leaning on the handlebars, I was hanging on for dear life. Last week I tried the whole thing the day after TriSets Upper Body--much better on rested legs. I'm sure I didn't use the tension the crew did, but I was happy with my effort--considering it was only my second time. I also think it helped that my form was better. Practice, practice.

There is still much room for improvement, but I LOVE the workout and it can only get better from here. Something to work up to, eh?

I say give it time. I completely understand what you are saying about the quads--I was shocked how quickly mine failed.:eek:

I have never done spinning. I don't have a road bike--only a mountain bike that I ride infrequently when the weather is nice. I knew spinning was hard and would be different. I was so anxious to do Cycle Max that I tried the express premix the day after Afterburn--big mistake. I barely made it through--and that was with pausing between chapters. Every time Cathe reminded us not to be leaning on the handlebars, I was hanging on for dear life. Last week I tried the whole thing the day after TriSets Upper Body--much better on rested legs. I'm sure I didn't use the tension the crew did, but I was happy with my effort--considering it was only my second time. I also think it helped that my form was better. Practice, practice.

There is still much room for improvement, but I LOVE the workout and it can only get better from here. Something to work up to, eh?

Yes it is something to work for. I had no idea of how hard it was. I tried the entire workout and I was such a wuss. I had to stop a lot too and did not even adjust my tension. My heart rate stayed in the zone and at times went anaerobic. I certainly got a workout!

I feel I am a beginner to working out......I did spin a bit today (not to Cathe) for about 20 min before moving to Trisets for upper body which is one heck of a workout in and of itself.

I have this to say about Low Impact - much of it is WAY HARDER than any video Cathe has even done. I no longer think of low impact as low intensity.

Cathe has humbled me and brought me to my knees! But I still love her and her amazing cast. Those women are bionic! And Brenda in particular impressed me in Cycle Max!

Just somebody tell me please that some day my quads will have the endurance to do the entire video. Within 5 min into the video, they are screaming! I am so embarrassed that I refuse to let anybody see how pathetic I am at spinning!

Amy, it could be that you need some calories prior to the workout. are you eating anything before?
and you are right about Brenda...her form is spot on. she does IM tris.

I usually work out on a farily empty stomach. I get side stitches if I eat prior to a workout.

I hope I can build up the endurance. I am not a biker by any means.

My idea of road biking is my scooter......

So I am a total newbie to any type of biking.

Amy,

I just got my spin bike a month and 1/2 ago and the 1st time I tried it out I thought, "you have got to be kidding me!". That was with no tension! I was determined to do Cycle Max when it came so I just started riding for like 15-20 minutes and then increasing the time. I would increase the tension for as long as I could stand it then I would back off for like 30 sec. or so then I would try to put more tension, and I just kept doing that. By the time Cycle Max came, I was able to do it but not to the level of Cathe & crew but I'm sure if I keep it up I will. I had to sit a few times while they stood and at the end I was barely making it but each time I do better. That being said, just try to do a little more each time and I'm sure you'll be surprised at how fast you will build up to it.

Hope this helps,
Ashley

Hi Amy, I would just back way down on your tension if your hurting that bad. Gradually build up to it. You will get it. It's new to you so just trying is a good thing!!! I've never been a spinner either but I'm thinking my outdoor biking must have helped a lot. Hang in there!!!

Amy,
When I first starting spinning the same thing happened to me until I learned to spin correctly, there is definitely a technique to it. Instead of just pedaling think of using a push down, pull up motion, this should relieve some of the quad tension. This is especially important when standing. It may help to take a beginner class at a gym if that is possible.
Hope this helps.
Katie

I consider myself to be fairly fit, but Cycle Max is slaying me. It is mainly the lactic acid that quickly builds in my quads. It is killing me. Any suggestions? Will I ever build up the endurance to go like Cathe and her fabulous cast?

Oh, I have never used a spin bike or any type of exercise bike in my life and I have not used a regular bicycle since I was 11 years old.

Amy,

I just got my spin bike a month and 1/2 ago and the 1st time I tried it out I thought, "you have got to be kidding me!". That was with no tension! I was determined to do Cycle Max when it came so I just started riding for like 15-20 minutes and then increasing the time. I would increase the tension for as long as I could stand it then I would back off for like 30 sec. or so then I would try to put more tension, and I just kept doing that. By the time Cycle Max came, I was able to do it but not to the level of Cathe & crew but I'm sure if I keep it up I will. I had to sit a few times while they stood and at the end I was barely making it but each time I do better. That being said, just try to do a little more each time and I'm sure you'll be surprised at how fast you will build up to it.

Hope this helps,
Ashley

Thank you, Ashely and thank all of you for your invaluable advice. I am using no tension whatsoever and it still kicks my butt! I look at my bike and I think to myself how much I hate spinning but I will be darned if I am going to not use the bike and learn to use it correctly. Hopefully my quads will build up to the demands of cycling.

I am going to take baby steps. I plan to ride it almost daily for at least 10 min and gradually increase the time I spend on it.. I remember back to when I could not get through a Cathe video and by taking baby steps I became strong enough to finish it with no problem. This was way back when Maximum Intensity Cardio was released. I thought "no way"! Then one day it all came together!

With the bike at least I have something to keep me motivated during the winter. Cathe's set is so bright and looking at Brenda in particular is so motivating! The music is cool too!

Hi, Amy! First off, I think it's great that you are trying CycleMax and sticking with it! Great job! As many others have told you, it will take some time to build up your endurance and strength in your quad muscles so that the spinning does not fatigue those muscles as quickly. I remember when I first started spinning with my husband five years ago....I thought I was going to DIE in my first spin class! I have always been a runner and I thought I was in pretty good shape. I had just finished a half marathon in 1:51:00 about three weeks earlier. I began cycling as an alternative after I suffered a bad case of Achilles tendonitis after that race and was rehabbing it. Well, that spin class sure was a brutal wake up call! Cycling uses a variety of different muscles than many other activities and the quads tend to be used the most...especially if you are not using a complete, correct cycle stroke. If you tend to "stomp" and push down more on your pedal from 12-3 o'clock, your quads are getting almost all of the work without true help from your hamstrings. The other key is resistance. As already suggested, start light with your resistance and spin more freely...gradually build up as your legs get used to spinning and those quads are better adjusted to your ride. I have gone on to become Spinning certified and love it! In fact, cycling has become a favorite of mine. I am currently training for a series of triathlons in 2012 and will be doing my first half Ironman next summer. It's nice to break things up and have the variety of running, swimming and cycling. Hang in there!! CycleMax will get easier for you and you will be amazed at the difference in your glutes and thighs from this tremendous workout!! Spinning really tightens everything up! Remember.....this is your ride, you are in charge of the resistance. So, you can modify as you need to in the beginning to be successful on your own. Build up when you are ready and get used to Cathe's great cues for jumps, hill resistance, bursts, recovery. These are all efforts you can modify by slowing your cadence or reducing resistance to better manage heart rate and training zone. I know you will be back in a couple of weeks feeling awesome about your efforts!!!

Thanks, Courtney! I am so happy to hear that spinning is very hard for everybody in the beginning! I am not training for a marathon or anything, but I feel it is time to really change my workouts.

Spinning is totally new to me! I feel the same way I did when I went from ballet shoes to pointe shoes!

I am going to tough it out. I am getting one heck of a great workout doing it using my own pathetic attempts to keep up with Cathe and the pack. I can't wait for the day to come when I can do the entire workout at a pace at least close to Cathe and the Cast.

The one thing I know now is that Brenda is an amazing athlete! It takes so much to spin like her!

Yes, there is no doubt that Brenda is a natural on the bike! Can't wait to hear you chatting about CycleMax in a few weeks....You will really love it once you get used to spinning! You have a great attitude!!

Amy...did you notice who this is?

Hi Amy, I would just back way down on your tension if your hurting that bad. Gradually build up to it. You will get it. It's new to you so just trying is a good thing!!! I've never been a spinner either but I'm thinking my outdoor biking must have helped a lot. Hang in there!!!

WooHoo! DebbieH - none other than one of the CycleMax cast members. :D Amy, you should be very encouraged by all the wonderful comments and advice offered by fellow Cathletes. :p This is a great workout! Go at your pace and remember to have fun ♥

I agree with the others...just keep lighter tension on until you are ready for more. it is a whole new mode of exercise for you so it will take some time. well worth it, though. i still would try eating something prior to your rides. maybe half a banana with a tbsp peanut butter, or plain yogurt with a handful of grapes...even a gel packet like Gu, Power Bar, Hammer Nutrition. aim for abt 100 kcals. this should help give you some extra energy. also make sure to hydrate before, during & after & follow your ride with abt 200-250 kcals of a recovery meal. even something as simple as a glass of lowfat choc milk.

Hi there :) another cyclemax cast member here to encourage! I absolutely love spin! let me tell you- Cyclemax is TOUGH! Even for those of us who spin regularly. Cathe has given us a goodie here for sure! Strength and endurance will come with time. Just keep at it and high fives to everyone who is just starting with spin and is taking on this workout right out of the gate! You rock!

Ditto what everyone else said. When I started spinning I thought to myself there is no way I can keep this pace up. But the more you do it, the better you will get at it.

Thank all of you for your advice and words of encouragement.

I am warming up every workout I do now with the first 15 min of Cathe's video. I began at 5 min. That is all I could do. I am now to 12 to 15 min.

Sometimes I get on, warm up and push myself to an anaerobic state not using her video.

The entire spin experience has been a new awakening and humbling. I can get through HIIT workouts and even Cardio Core Circuit and After Burn but Cycle Max has brought me down a notch. I am not as fit as I thought! But as Cathe has said, Change is Good!

And although Brenda is cute as can be and always seemed to be the Sweet One with the Little Girl Smile in Cathe's videos, she scares me in Cycle Max! But in a good way.

Amy, you're more fit than you think. If you can get through HiiT and CCC (Cathe's hardest workout for me), then you're in shape. For instance, while I can get through the 80-minute Cycle Max extreme premix with no problems (it's still challenging though), CCC always kills me dead. We are all fit in different ways. :)

That is so true, Amy!! CCC is such a tough workout! I remember doing that one for the first time last year and I got that, "Oh no, I might yackety yack" feeling....you know that fun feeling when you have pushed yourself so hard that you don't think you are going to recover quickly enough from the last HIIT interval before the fun begins all over again?? CCC is one tough workout without much recovery time. CycleMax will get easier as you get accustomed to spinning, I promise. You obviously have the fitness and the cardiovascular capabilities, I think your lower body just needs to adjust a little more to this workout. Cathe has great tips at the beginning of the workout about pedal stroke....I do think that it is harder to get that complete stroke as efficiently with cages than with SPD cleats/pedals. When your cycling shoe is clipped in, you get a stronger lift in your pedal stroke especially on those higher resistance/hill segments so the work is more evenly distributed between your quads and hamstrings. Many of our CycleMax gals here had cycling shoes on and were clipped into their pedals. Another thing I was thinking about is your bike set up! This is so important! If you are not adjusted properly on your spin bike, your body can not ride efficiently and everything seems harder. Start by standing next to your bike and use your hip as an estimate for seat height.....set it to this height and then sit down on it. Then put your feet into your cages and do a downstroke until your right foot is at 6 o'clock...you should have between 25-35 degree angle in your knee if your height is correct. Any more of a bend means your seat is too low and can cause knee/joint problems on your ride. Any less and you will be rocking side to side, trying to make a full reach on your stroke. This will bring you out of your seat sideways and prevent you from being solid and strong on your bike. Next adjustment is your handlebars and fore/aft position.....For beginners, the handlebars should be as high as is comfortable for you. As you get more acclimated, you can lower them to a level equal to your seat. Comfort level here depends on your hip flexibility as well. Fore/aft distance is adjusted on most spin bike seats...you can move your seat forward or backward. Most women in general have longer leg to torso ratio than men. Your seat should ideally be in a position where if your cranks are parallel to the ground (right foot is at 3 o'clock), then your knee is directly over the middle of your pedal. And, you have a slight bend in your arms as you hold your handlebars....not too much of a reach and not too little where your body is overly compact. Anyway...just a few more thoughts I had for you....it's really uncomfortable for me to ride when my bike is not set up right..I end up having knee and back pain and I struggle to get through my workouts. I thought maybe this might be playing a role in things for you, too. Just a thought :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.