I can't do Interval Running

deathbycathe

Cathlete
As much as I would love to - I just can't do it. I don't have a treadmill and hubby is dead set against getting one. I have 3 kids at home and he travels so most of the time it's me all by myself taking care of 3 plus a dog.

I have a jogging stroller for two kids and the oldest is 13 so he could stay home alone, but the other two kids just HATE to sit in the thing. Plus their ages are so different that the weight distribution means I'm pulling to one side all the time and it's distracting.

I need an option for interval running that I could do in my living room without all the drama.:+

Not Cathe (obviously!) but you can do interval running on a rebounder, alternating between jogging and sprinting, adding in some upper body exercises, or some jumping jacks or other moves, or even light hand weights if you want.

I used to jump rope when my kids were smaller. They always wanted to join in. Sometimes I would let tham jump with Mom (I twirl and jump with one of them infront of me jumping on my count).

That was harder, so I bought them each their own ropes that had the counters on them.

Good luck! I feel your pain!!
Jenn

How about the "high jog" in place that Cathe does in some of her videos?

I like the jump roping idea, too.

If you're just trying to get an intense "interval" type cardio effect, your options are really limitless - burpees, squat thrusts, terminator climbers, box jumps (onto a step), jumping jacks, plyo jacks, circle jacks, tuck jumps, sumo squats (weighted/unweighted), etc.

Pick your pain. ;-)

Have you checked out the park? I have this really small park in my neighborhood that I used to run around the playground. It had a little trail that I could stay close to the kids and allow them to play while I ran. It would maybe take a couple of seconds to get to them if needed and the kids get exercise too (they were school-aged.

>I occasionly do interval running up and down the driveway,
>works for me:)

That is a great idea!! Then they can play outside until I pass out!:7

I'll never forget being a soccer coach for my kid's teams.

We had some great fun - I used to chase them while they were doing drills and they didn't even realize it;-)

If you can come up with something similar: kick ball where you would have to run to get the ball when someone missed, or play kick ball while running around "bases", play tag, etc. then they will benefit too !

(Maybe they will fall asleep early so you can do more Cathe !:+ )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.