How to simmer food?

Skyeblu

Cathlete
Ok, I apologize for the sheer stupidity of this question :eek: but this has been on my mind for a while. On most stovetops there is a setting right next to low which is labeled simmer. Now at that setting isn't the food supposed to be kind of bubbling very lightly?

Whatever I am cooking (for instance tomato sauce or soups) the food just basically sits and stays warm without much action in the pot.

So if the food should be bubbling a bit isn;t simmering basically more like low to med-low?

I hope I am making sense??????

Skye

You're right. Simmer is just very tiny bubbles (though I think some thicker liquids don't bubble that way. It's more like they hold the heat in, and every once in a while, a bubble pops to the service).

I wouldn't go by the settings on the stove (which I'm sure are approximate). It could vary because of air temperature, height above sea level, etc. Does your stove have a dial? Or push-buttons?

My stove doesn't offer a simmer setting, per se, so I usually turn the heat to low. Anything above that will usually develop into more of a rapid simmer, or slow boil. I think the setting at which food simmers can vary greatly depending on the type of heat used (electric or gas, heat coil or ceramic top, etc), and the type of cookware you use (heavy bottomed aluminum, copper, stainless steel, glass, etc).

Here's a definition:
http://busycooks.about.com/library/glossary/bldefsimmer.htm

ETA that unless you bring your pot to a boil first, you may have difficulty bringing it up to a simmer. I always bring my pot to a full, rapid boil, then reduce the heat to low.

Michele:)

Kathryn, my stove has dials, its a fairly new stove but like you said anything can alter the temp. I will go by the bubbles, LOL.
I thought I was right! thanks for the info!!!!

When I put my food on low, nothing happens either. I have to set it almost to med. for it to bubble a little. I always wondered about this too. Melissa

I have found that Simmer, or low settings usually only continue to simmer the food if there is a lid on it. If you bring a pot of sauce, for example,to boil and then want it to simmer without a lid, you will need to have the temperature set close to a medium setting. If there is a lid on the pot, the sauce will simmer on the lower settings.

Jean

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.