How to choose rotation substitions

putz168

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I just completed my first full rotation of yours and am thrilled with the results. Question though: If you've ever seen the Friends episode where Phoebe goes running with Rachael, you've seen me. Running is not my thing. When running, or even biking, is listed in a rotation, what is an appropriate substitute? Am I looking for the cardio activity, or am I looking for lower body work? THANKS!

Beth

Putz (still absolutely adore your screen name, btw), I'm not Cathe but I'd like to suggest, as Cathe substitutions for cardio workouts that call for runs, that you incorporate some of Cathe's hi/lo routines; these would more closely mimic the impact forces that you experience during a traditional run:

Circuit Max warm-up and first two cardio cycles (serious hi/lo);

Maximum Intensity Cardio warm-up through hi/lo;

CTX 10-10-10 warm-up and hi/lo (the brief warm-up and following ~4-5 minutes are kickbox-flavored, and give you a really good run-up to the hi/lo segment);

Step Jump Pump hi/lo add-on premix;

4 Day Split Boot Camp; several of the drills involve low- to high-knee runs, and of course the beloved "suicide" runs which we all now love; and

Original Boot Camp cardio-only premix.

Re subbing for biking, maybe substitute a low-impact step routine, given that biking is a low-impact mode:

Low Max

Low Impact Circuit

4 Day Split Lower Intensity Step.

Sorry to barge in like this; hopefully Cathe will be able to chirp in with her answer!

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.