How much weight to start STS program with? (not much upper body strength)

Hello everyone... I'll be starting the STS program tomorrow... but am wondering how much weight I should be using. I definitely have more lower body strength, than upper body, so I was hoping for some guidance:

I found some of my 1 rep maxes, but for the 60%, that's about 13lbs for most exercises like dumbell curls, tricep work, etc.. I'm use to working out with 8 lbs.

Would starting with 10lbs seem like a good idea? Or do you think I should bump it up to the 13 right away?
And I was just wondering what everyone else started out with?

If I start with 10, I'll be aiming to end with about 15 in the last mesocycle.
(Barbell work I'd start with about 20-25 and work up to about 35 lbs for the upper body work) Does that also sound like a good idea?

(thanks in advance!!)

You might be surprised how heavy you can actually lift. In Meso 1, because we are switching between body parts, you can lift heavier than in Cathe's other endurance workouts. Why don't you start with the suggested target weight, and if you can't complete the set, drop down to a lower weight.

The weight I lift depends on the body part. For biceps, chest and back I used the heaviest weights (15 to 25 pound DBs), and used lower starting weight for shoulders and triceps (5-15 pound DBs). However, you shouldn't worry about what other people lift. Just focus on improving your own strength and you'll get there.

Good luck!

I would also suggest you go with the suggested weight. I was really surprised by what I was able to do and felt I had been underestimating myself and therefore not getting all the benefit possible from strength training. Go with the weight suggested and drop down if you have to. Good luck and enjoy!

I echo what others have advised. Go with the weight based on your 1RMs. You may have to drop down, but then again, some numbers might be right on target for you.

You can't really go by what others are lifting ~ everyone is so different ~ but just for the heck of it, I started with 11s for biceps. Now in Meso 2, I'm using 14 and knocking on 15s door.

But those numbers can change depending on the sequence of exercises too. Sometimes Cathe changes things up, and I find myself dropping down in weight. I get a little frustrated because...well, naturally we don't want to decrease our weights ;) ...but I understand it's all about what stimulates your muscles, not about numbers.

So...try those suggested weights and see what happens! Have fun. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back