How much weight can be safely lifted over your head on ...

DawnA

Cathlete
Hi everyone.
What do you all think is a safe weight to lift over your head? I realize there will be differences in each persons strength. For women though, how heavy can an average woman go before she gets a weight vest?
Dawn

Hi Dawn,
This week I got 50lbs plus the barbell over my head.I have tried 60lbs but can't get it up there.I would think that it could be a little hard on the neck.I find my neck a little sore after.I only use 50lbs when I am doing the pyramid system.Normally, I use 35 -40 lbs for squats.
Lori

I am using 60 lbs for heavy leg work. My shoulders had to get used to the poundage but now they don't even get tired.

Progressive overload worked for me.

60# is the max for me right now. I struggle getting it back over my head after the set, so I know my next step is either really increase my upper body strength or get a vest!

Donna

Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

I really think this depends on your upper body strength and ability to tolerate the heavy weight on your shoulders. Right now, I use 70-80#, depending on my strength that day. I just did Leaner Legs and tried lifting 75# and knew it wasn't going to happen, so I dropped to 70 and had no problem lifting it. It took a while to build up to this poundage, though. I felt like I was stuck at 70# max for a very long time.

Erica

Erica,
Does that mean you're using 70# for the sit and stands and everything else in LL? I'm impressed!! How long did it take to build up to that?

Yes, I actually ended up using 75# for the sit and stands today. When I posted earlier, I had only done the first 10 minutes of LL (baby woke up). When I went back to it, I was able to finish up with 75#. I'm not sure how long it took me to build up to this level - I don't log my weights or anything. Seventy pounds was my max for a long time and I recently realized that it wasn't a struggle to get it over my head anymore, so I tried going heavier and was surprised that I could do it. If I'm fatigued, though, I just can't get the bar over my head safely if I go over 70#. Also, I use a curl bar for lower body and I'm not sure if that may be easier on my shoulders?

Erica

Edited to add - I would love a weight vest! I just can't afford it right now - so many fitness things to buy!!:)

I have a set of velcro ankle weights that are 2 1/2 pounds each that I wrap around my waist for the entire workout. This adds 5 pounds. So, if I struggle to get the 60 pounds on my shoulders (which I do) then I get 65 pounds without the vest. But for S/H Legs I really do need 70 pounds and have not figured out how to get there.

I'm thinking I'll try putting a 2 1/2 pound plate in each side of my sports bra. No, I'm not kidding. I think it will work. If I put my n@pples through the holes it might even be comfortable. I'll let everyone know how it goes next time I do the workout.

RE: How much weight can be safely lifted over your head...

Comfortable in the way the Marquis de Sade would define comfort? Girlfriend, all I can say is yow!!!:eek: ;(

LOL Mogambo!! Oh, what a silly image I have! But I don't doubt that it would work...

Thanks for the laugh. :7

I might be able to go higher, but I worry about the form I use to get the barbell up onto my shoulders at anything over 45#. Any heavier than that, and I strap on my weight vest.

LL with 70 - 75 pounds? WOW, Erica! You are my hero! I feel like I'm really doing something when I use 20 - 30 pounds!

However, it's probably good for us to keep in mind that body type enters into this, too. My excuse for not lifting so heavy is I'm a petite ectomorph. For me, 70 - 75 pounds would be over half my body weight, so I doubt if I'll ever progress to that point.

I have gotten a barbell loaded to 45 - 50 pounds over my head for use with PS and SH, but I can't use that much weight with LL.:eek:

Angela

LAdies:

I am gobsmacked!!!! I can't lift anything over 45 pounds over my head, I just don't have the shoulders for it!!! Can't get it beyond my chin!!!!!!!!

If I want to go heavier for legs, I have to make sure it's aday my husband is at home, and he works as my spotter... lovely chap. :7

Clare

Well, I did PowerHour today so I didn't need to "enhance" my sports bra with 5 lbs of iron, but I tried putting them in there anyway. It works!! I am very amused. The things I go through to save money.

Anyway, the only down side is those things are C-C-C-COLD!! Now I can do Slow and Heavy with 70 lbs. I feel like singing a manly song! Yarrrrgggh!

How 'bout the ol' Monty Python song:

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....":D

Okay, here's one for you. I stole my husband's new hunting vest, the kind with all the buttoned pockets. Actually, he outgrew it. (He likes to WATCH Cathe, but doesn't participate--hence the outgrowing of the vest ;) ) I put a five pound weight in each of the four side pockets and two ten pound weights in the back pockets. Voila! Free weight vest. It's silly looking, but it works!

That's a great idea. I'll try that when the Valkyrie Bra isn't enough weight anymore.

I've mentioned this in another thread....I set my weight bench backwards and load the bar to 75# while it's on the stand and I get underneath from the back. I LOVE this and I'm sure I could never hoist this weight up myself. I use this for my S&H leg work and it's great.

I can't imagine doing this for LL. Erica, may I ask what kind of body/frame you have. I too am an ecto so I can't ever imagine doing LL with much more than 35 pounds. You must have incredible quads/glutes!!!! I'm impressed!!!

Briee

Erica..you go girl!! What in the heck were you doing lifting 75lbs during Leaner Legs???? I am in awe...PLEASE don't tell me that is the weight you kept on your barbell the whole time!!!! It is the pushing it above my head that limits me. Getting it off the floor, no problem! My max is 75 lbs as well. Even if i could, I don't think I would try more, simply because I feel it is not a good position when yoiu get back over your head, right before you rest the weight on your shoulders. I think that particular part of the move really puts the pressure on your shoulders and I get nervous about that!

Janice

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.