how long to warm up before lifting?

warchild2005

Cathlete
What kind of warm ups should I do at the gym before I start lifting? do I run on the treadmill, do I use the spin bike or the elliptical? And for how long?

Hi warchild2005 - before I start a gym workout, I do about 10 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill, but it could be any machine that gets me feeling warm. The specific machine doesn't really matter in my opinion, as there isn't a machine that prepares you for a weight workout better than another machine. When I hit the weights, I do a light first set of the first exercise for each body part. For example, if my first leg exercise is squats, I might do a set of 15 squats with a light weight, then move on to my "working" weight. If my second leg exercise is lunges, I don't do a warmup set because my legs are already warmed up. When I move to the next body part, I do a light set of the first exercise for that one also. (This is something I've adapted from Cathe - she has several workouts where the warm-up is done with light weights, and I find it works really well, especially for an old bird like me. :) )

Stebby

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.