How has your journey towards being fit changed?

mom418

Cathlete
What has changed about your approach, point of view, or goals, from your past (last week, last decade) in your journey towards health?

Mentally, I feel like my approach is a complete 180 from where I was. Instead of focusing on food- the newest studies saying we need vitamin x and this is where to get it, and worrying about having enough of x,y,z and every color of the rainbow, I'm just over it. I'm getting the basics, and I'll be fine. Focus on getting in season, on sale, mostly plants. Work on eating less carbs. More protein. Healthy fats, less meat.

Now my mental focus is on fitness. Newest workouts, different instructors, types of training, so on. I'm still not consistent with DOing it, but thinking about it all the time,and tracking it, I'll eventually get there.

Physically, I look about the same for the past decade which is not a compliment, but I'm making lifestyle changes. I'll get there.

I just think it's interesting to think about how we all change. Even our taste buds change. Growing up, one of the few veggies I said I didn't like- brussel sprouts, I love them now. I embrace the bitterness and smother them with chipotle honey mustard. (my fav. condiment it goes with everything :D):p
Drinking whole milk tastes like butter to me. :rolleyes:
Countless foods are too salty or too sweet now that I do all my own cooking.

Also, this time around, I'm more committed to really being healthy during maintenance so I can prevent health problems that run in my family.

So how have you changed?

Good thoughts!

Heading toward the big 5-0 ... I think I've become more accepting of my food - not so focused on calories and quantity, but more so on the quality of the food that I put in me. I love to cook and garden and use different ingredients and I am truly lucky to have a husband that is willing to try new things. I would have stuck my tongue out at kale in my 20's and 30's, now I love it! Especially with pinto beans, a little bit of brown rice and my special habanero sauce that I make to go on everything (kinda sounds like the chipotle honey mustard concept that you use!)

I also like the variety of workouts that I do now - I used to run, and do pushups and situps, that was it (well, that was the military :)).. Now I love weight training and tabatas and step and Cathe!!

And I'm more forgiving and kinder to myself in the last 10 years. It's ok that I have a big ole' greasy hamburger once a month, I'll get over it and I have the cholesterol count to show that I can :)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.