How early did you take a pregnancy test?

Monica11

Cathlete
Hi everyone! We're TTC and the wait to find out is killing me. I've heard that people sometimes take home pregnancy tests a few days before their periods are due. Is that just a crazy waste of money? Has anyone else done this? I find it hard to believe I'm the only one this impatient... }(

Monica

I took a test a week after my period was late. But then I was sure I was pregnant, even without the test, because I was feeling incredibly lightheaded and strangely fatigued. The test only served to confirm it.

Pinky

Believe it or not, I took the test the first day I was late...it was positive that early..and it was the CVS ept generic brand..lol...I took 3 others with another brand to make sure...they were all positive..

If you buy one of the sensative ones..first response, answer..they all say you can test 4 days before you x-pect your period. i usually wait 2 days before my period is due and use first morning urine. If you test early and comes back negative..it may be to early for you..you have to have a 20 concentration of hcg to get a positive, some have had false negatives and end up pregnant. I think it all depends on when the egg implants 6-10 days after ovulation. So the later you implant, the longer it takes HCG to rise to detectible levels. Most "early" tests come with two tests now, so you could test 2 days early and then if your period doesnt show up test again...hope I helped..good luck to you!!

I'm really bad - -I did at 10 days past ovulation. I couldn't stand it, but I KNEW I was preganat. My boobs always tell! I'm on my fourth pregnancy right now - I've had two miscarriages :-(. But YAY I'm past 12 weeks this go around! I always used the CVS pharmacy brand test. It picks up a level of 25. It's a good one! But with testing early you always risk wasting money on a stick when it comes up negative...it's wiser to wait until you're late.

I took my HTP at about 4-5 days late...I was going to wait b/c I TRULY didn't believe it had happened so quickly but my DH was buggin' me cause he wanted to know so I got up early one morning and took it. Ended up surprising him up with the news cause he didn't know I had taken it.:)

And yes, there are HTP's out there that CAN detect the pregnancy hormone even BEFORE you are late...not sure which ones they are though...

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

first response is the one that says it can detect before you are even late. i wasn't exactly late yet and i took a test from the dollar store...positive. so being the test was from the dollar store i took at least 4 more tests (lol) including first reponse and i needed have worried because the dollar store brand had the same results as first response...POSITIVE!!

You're not the only one this impatient, Monica! It's pretty universal among women who are actively trying to conceive. I've seen a few pregnancy forums where the women waiting until "test day" have formed support groups. I don't blame them! It's an excruciating time.

At least we have the benefit of early home testing these days. When my mom was expecting me, 35 years ago, you had to wait until your period was two weeks late before you could test, and even then you had to go to the doctor for the test, and wait a few days for the results to come back. Ugh!

Many women report feeling things before their test date, such as sore breasts, cramping, fatigue. For me, I suddenly began wanting to put pepper on all my food - and I don't like pepper. Do you have any little signs that might indicate you were successful this month? Of course, many women don't experience any symptoms this early, so don't be alarmed if you don't feel any.

Cheers,
Sandra

I had just stopped taking the Pill in December and my period was 34 days after that so I had no clue when I should have started in February. I was taking my temp each morning and tested on the 18th day of high temps which was 31 days since my last period. It was positive that morning. I have since taken 3 more and all the same!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Leigh Ann

I had postitive tests 9 or 10 days post-ovulation with Sydney and Jordan. I am also impatient, but I was working in a family planning clinic so I had access to tests. :) However, I used several brands from the store that same day... all were positive. My doctor was impatient with Jordan... I had my first u/s at 4 weeks... not much to see but he was there. :)

Hope to hear from you soon!

>Many women report feeling things before their test date, such
>as sore breasts, cramping, fatigue.

Me too!
After I found out I was pregnant I realized that I had already been feeling quite tired and napping when I never used to before my period was even late! I just didn't connect the 2 until I took the test and it was positive! :)

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

Thanks everyone for responding. My typical cycle is 26 days but I always think of 28 as the magic number--the day I have to get through to take the test. I have had no signs yet :( and I am paying very close attention ("hmm, do I feel tired? Was that a bit of nausea? Is that smell stronger than usual??"). It's funny, before we started trying, it seemed like my periods were on me so fast ("Not again!").

You're not the only one! How soon you can take it really depends on when you ovulate. If you ovulate late in your cycle, the test will not read positive until after your period is late, because it takes that long for the hcg to build up. I ovulate late, took one a few days early and it was negative (and this was an expensive Fact Plus brand). Five days later, when I was a couple days late, another test read positive. If you ovulate mid-cycle, you can probably take one early and get an accurate result. Good luck!:)

I just want to address ovulation and pregnancy testing. Ovulation occurs 14 days plus or minus 1-2 days BEFORE your period is due. So if you are having 32 day cycles, you ovulate about day 18. You can still test before your period is due. I was having 34 day cyles when I got pregnant with Sydney and tested positive 10 days after ovulation. You just have to know when your period is actually due. Does this make any sense or am I rambling?? :)

Congratulations!!!!!! I wish you a very healthy pregnancy!! Please join us and keep us updated on how you're doing!

Cheers!
Sandra

Congrats!!! I'm SO excited for you! We look forward to hearing all about your pregnancy! I hope it is a breezy one for you! :)

Thanks! It's my first and I am more than a little nervous. I haven't told anyone yet (but DH of course!) I still can't believe it. Even though we were trying it's a shock.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.