How do you store your hand weights?

Tina1963

Since I've started using the Cathe tapes/dvd's I've got a pretty good selection of hand weights that I don't know what to do with. Isn't there some kind of storage shelf out there that makes it a little bit more appealing and easily accessible than just lining them up against the wall? Thanks!

I'm sure there are storage shelves, but I line mine up against the entertainment center, under the barbell. So, they take up no extra space.

If you have the room, there are dumbbell racks out there that you can buy fairly inexpensively. I don't have one, but I've seen them. I'm like you, mine are just lined up against the wall but have been thinking about buying a rack.

Store them?? Oh yeah that thing that my husband keeps telling me I have to do.....but they are so much more easy to use all over the basement floor...set up where I need them!! I guess I am lucky that I do not have to workout in our "primary" loving space....cause I would be tripping all the time!! Donna.

Hi Tina!

I bought a shoe rack made of aluminum/metal at either Sam's Club or BJ's Wholesale. It is three-tiered, the top 2 shelves being slanted on an angle and the bottom shelf is flat. My dumbbells fit on it perfectly, starting with my 20's & 15's on the top, 12, 10 &8's on the second self and all the rest on the bottom, including my ankle weights. I keep the heavy ones on the top so I don't have to bend over so far to get them. It works like a gem! Keeps everything up & off the floor for cleaning too! It is on wheels but doesn't move very easily with all that weight. Good Luck! (It was very inexpensive.)

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

We work out in our bedroom and store the weights under our bed along with our steps and barbell bars. :)

Leigh Ann

I store mine in a wooden crate I bought at "This End Up" years ago. It's very substantial and about 15" tall so I also use it as a mini-step.

I have my step set up on two risers so I can store 2 sets of dumbells under the step and 2+ sets of dumbells inside each of the risers. Right now I have sets of 3,5,7,10,12 and 15s in or under the step bench. I also use the Rubbermaid tool/step box for storage of small weights, gloves, etc.

BTW, I had the step for 4 years before I even thought about putting the weights inside the risers. Before that they were lined up on or around the bench.

I have 5-20lbs. lined up in front of the TV and my husband lines 25-60lbs. up against the wall. All are on the floor. We need some other system really bad.;-) It seems most often, that weights are strung all over and know one puts them back where they go.

I store 6 pairs of my dumbbells on a pyramid-shaped rack from Body Solid. I really like it! The rest of the miscellaneous weights (a 30 pounder, a 35 pounder, 5 and 7 pound heavy hands and 2 and 3 pound "rehab" weights are kind of scattered around near the bottom of the rack.

Thanks for the information guys. I guess I'm just too lazy to pick them up off the floor...I don't know why because usually I end up there after one of her cardio workouts! Thanks again. Tina

Wowza!

I realize this is an old thread, however I was just wondering what to do about the storage of dumbbells and the weight plates (since I have my Troy Lite on the way Yee Ha!!!) and found this thread!

What a lucky gal you are to have a sweetheart who has the skills and talent to creat this for you, but actually did it!

Thanks for sharing!

~kandy~
sport-smiley-003.gif

Hey...I'm glad you refreshed this thread too! Centuries ago when I first started working out at home, my Dh took a plastic storage box that has handles molded in, screwed that to a piece of 3/4" plywood, put heavy duty wheels on it and that is what I have used to store my hand weights. I easily can keep sets of 5-8-10-15# in there along with my shoes and weight plates. It's handy because when I work out I just pull it from the porch and wheel it into the living room (loved that typo of the 'lovingroom') and then wheel it back again when I'm done.

HOWEVER...Connie!!!! That rack is b*tchin'!!!!! I am color copying that off so my Dh can see that and maybe he can master a project like that for my stuff! Thanks for posting that photo.

40something, I like your storage system -- a mobile one. I have a weight rack, but I exercise in a different room (living/loving room) so I have lug ALL the weights whenever I want to lift. If I don't have my weights all set up in the living room the night before, it's harder to get up early and workout. And sometimes when I have it set up but decided not to workout (for whatever reason), I have lug those weights back in. I might consider doing the same thing as you with my dumbells...

As for my barbell, almost all of them hanging on the bar...

RE: How do you store your hand weights?- Donna

LOL ...Donna I know what you mean! I keep mine in the kitchen under the chair- my husband dosen't say anything....but we have a small apartment and they are easy and quick for me to grab in the morning- since I must excersize in the living room which is in the next room. I also have a mini stepper in the kitchen which I found is real handy for me to use while I microwave and then my stepson sees it and he has to use it as well- so it's a nice reminder to get some steps in.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.