How do you organize your workout dvd's?

I read the title of this thread and thought it was what order people put their DVDs in! Not where! [emoji4]

First interesting thread, second, I have a tv cabinet that has 3 drawers at the bottom and I fit all my wo DVDs in the top drawer. No dusting and they are all in their cases. Now, I don't have all Cathe's DVDs and only have a few other instructors (2004 The Firm series, Urban Rebounding and Sweat Feat-Shaun T, I just sold Insanity Max 30). I organize them my year, I have the newest ones on the left, not sure why it turned out that way.

But I wanted to ask Gobias, if you were willing to post your spreadsheet with all your workouts?? I started something like that, but I haven't updated it since XTrain. Sometimes I would like to search by workout out time and thyme of workout. I just don't have the energy/time to update it, tho I have thought about it. (4 sons ages 4-14, 3900sq ft house, but only a small portion of my basement is dedicated to my workout space!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read the title of this thread and thought it was what order people put their DVDs in! Not where! [emoji4]

First interesting thread, second, I have a tv cabinet that has 3 drawers at the bottom and I fit all my wo DVDs in the top drawer. No dusting and they are all in their cases. Now, I don't have all Cathe's DVDs and only have a few other instructors (2004 The Firm series, Urban Rebounding and Sweat Feat-Shaun T, I just sold Insanity Max 30). I organize them my year, I have the newest ones on the left, not sure why it turned out that way. I also would be interested in

But I wanted to ask Gobias, if you were willing to post your spreadsheet with all your workouts?? I started something like that, but I haven't updated it since XTrain. Sometimes I would like to search by workout out time and thyme of workout. I just don't have the energy/time to update it, tho I have thought about it. (4 sons ages 4-14, 3900sq ft house, but only a small portion of my basement is dedicated to my workout space!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry I confused you with my title of this thread :( I changed it already :)

I also have a tv cabinet in my workout room, with 3 huge drawers full with workout dvd's.. Plus, I have all my Cathe dvd's and Beachbody dvd's in binders . All my other workout dvd's with different instructors are in decorative boxes (more than I can count). I also have dvd's still in the original cases and still shrink wrap :( Up to a year ago, my dvd's collection wasn't what it is today :p I really need to stop buying workout dvd's until I go through all of the ones I already own. I am working really hard, to save space and find a system that works :) I already running out of dvd sleeves :D

I am also interested in Gobias spreadsheet with all your workouts :) I would appreciate it.

I had 3 bookshelves full of workouts. When we moved I bought Vault cases and some extra sleeves that hold 8 dvds each. I have 128 dvds in each. I keep STS and other sets like that in their original packaging. It worked out nicely as take along on trips too. I would even toss a couple of bands and loops inside.
87196af95f028c4583994e7e47eb74d4.jpg

I had 3 bookshelves full of workouts. When we moved I bought Vault cases and some extra sleeves that hold 8 dvds each. I have 128 dvds in each. I keep STS and other sets like that in their original packaging. It worked out nicely as take along on trips too. I would even toss a couple of bands and loops inside.
87196af95f028c4583994e7e47eb74d4.jpg

Diane Sue, I love it :) Where did you buy the Vault cases and sleeves ? What did you do with the art work and old cases? Thanks for you input :)

Belinda, I bought the Vault cases and sleeves at Walmart. I used gallon freezer bags for the dvd sleeves out of the original cases. Cathe's have there own bag. I stored some of the plastic cases in the closet just in case I were to loan one out or sell one. When I am doing a rotation and am using certain workouts, I pull out the original dvd cover and stick it inside the case of dvd's so I can review the info. Although most of the workouts info for Cathe's is in the workout manager it still sometimes makes it quicker for times etc.. I also use a spiral notebook that I write times and some basic info in so I can use it for reference. I actually have two of those. One is older workouts and the other is the last two years of workouts.

Belinda, I bought the Vault cases and sleeves at Walmart. I used gallon freezer bags for the dvd sleeves out of the original cases. Cathe's have there own bag. I stored some of the plastic cases in the closet just in case I were to loan one out or sell one. When I am doing a rotation and am using certain workouts, I pull out the original dvd cover and stick it inside the case of dvd's so I can review the info. Although most of the workouts info for Cathe's is in the workout manager it still sometimes makes it quicker for times etc.. I also use a spiral notebook that I write times and some basic info in so I can use it for reference. I actually have two of those. One is older workouts and the other is the last two years of workouts.

Thank you so much, Diane Sue :) I will go to Wal Mart this weekend and check out those Vault/sleeves. I still use Cathe's 2007 catalog. I think, I will hold on to some of the old cases for awhile until I figured out what to do with them :( Love your dvd storage :) Thanks again!

I only bought 2 pack of the dvd sleeves at Target, that's all they had :( I have to make another run to another Target in my area this weekend. If I counted right I need to pick up 4 to 6 more packs of dvd sleeves :p I have all my Cathe dvd's in a dvd binder which hold 175 dvd each. STS, XTrain, LM series plus all the extra dvd are still in the original cases. I think I will change that eventually. I am still working on all my Beachbody dvd's. I decided to put them all in a dvd binder too. I almost broke a dvd just trying to get them out of the original case. I still have a lot of other workout dvd sets (still in shrink wrap) I have no clue which route I will go….dvd sleeves or dvd binder??? I know one thing, I made a giant mess in my workout room just so I can figure out what to keep and what to get rid off:D Once I saw all the empty dvd cases lined up against the wall, I was like…".hell no I will not hold on to the empty cases":D The reason I am doing this is to maximize space and kinda contended my collection of workout dvd's. I have taking all out of the dvd's from their cases and I have transferred them to the dvd sleeves. Each instructor gets a different color of evenlope. I like the color coded evenlopes, they had white ones too. I am not sure if I keep the media bin ( I already had it) ? Then I label them by their first name as you can see on the pictures :D Since I have Amy Dixon and Amy Bento, I will label Amy D. and Amy. I may change the labels this weekend and go with one color instead? I really like the lime green :) Haven't decided:D

The first picture is excatly 100 empty dvd cases. Look how much space they takes up :)
The second picture also holds 100 dvd's :D
https://www.pinterest.com/fitmama63/how-to-organize-your-workout-dvds/

Last edited:
Reactions: WD
Good idea. I like the color coded sleeves. It is amazing how much room all of those cases take up. That is why I just saved about 10 cases and kept the paper covers out of them. I have four boxes like you have them in for all of my old cds. I put my workouts in alphabetical order by instructor for most .Cathe got most of one case and I just started it with Cathe and put Chalean workouts and yoga that was different instructors in it. I had a tick on label on both cases but they would not stay stuck. We did the same thing with all of our movie library. I found a huge binder at Amazon that we were able to get 4 movies on each page and had a place for the paper covers. It is just a bit bulky and not as sturdy to drag around.

Diane Sue, I love the color coded sleeves :) Wished they had them in brighter colors other the the ones I found at Target and other places. Yesterday I went to Office Depot, they had the same dvd sleeves and for twice the $$ :) Those dvd cases take up a lot of space. I think, I will do the same and only keep like 10 cases. The rest has to go! Amazing how much more room I have now :) I labeled my Cathe's dvd binder with a label maker. So far the label is still on. I love my label maker. We don't have a large movie library, except what my kids left here when they all moved out. Ones I am done with my workout dvd's, I will go through my kids movies, which are not kids mov . They don't want them anymore and neither do I :p I already told my husband I want to donate all the movies to the Veterans. My husband has 2 large, rather bulky binders for his music cd collection. We stopped buying cd's and movie a long time ago. I should do the same with workout dvd's :D

I got rid of a lot of workouts and trashed loads of old VHS when we moved. It felt good to clear out unused stuff. I have some younger grandchildren that still like the children's stuff although more and more they watch Amazon Prime or Netflix when here. We do have a lot of movied. Almost completely filled that binder and have others in the cabinet. I have started downloading more though so I am sure that will change. I need a label maker.

I got rid of a lot of workouts and trashed loads of old VHS when we moved. It felt good to clear out unused stuff. I have some younger grandchildren that still like the children's stuff although more and more they watch Amazon Prime or Netflix when here. We do have a lot of movied. Almost completely filled that binder and have others in the cabinet. I have started downloading more though so I am sure that will change. I need a label maker.

I really need to to do the same. If we do downsize in a few years, I don't want to move with all that crap. The older I get, the less I need. Plus I want to simplify my life :p I also have some old kids VHS and workout VHS. All my workout VHS are out of print. And yes, I still have a VCR player:p When I am done organizing my workout dvd's I will go through my old workout VHS :) We also have Amazon Prime and Netflix, no need to hold on and clutter up my house :) I do have a lot of workout downloads which I also put in a folder and label each folder by name. Label makers are cheap at Costco :D I had mine for years.

Oh I would love to have a big house or at least a house the size I have but more shelving space or closets! We moved into this "modular" home when my sister and mom loved close and I was so young I didn't understand y my hubby didn't like it. Eek. He kept telling me there hard to up keep and it's like working on a trailer. Essentially it really is 15 yrs later I wish I got a house house with a big yard. I have a years that is not an acre but it is surrounded by neighbors. We want a place in the woods !!
Anyway I do not have organizational skills or something! I have my DVDs in a tall book shelve and under a tv stand. I wish I can get rid of one because it is to much space for both. We have three bedrooms and one child had to move back home with us. He isn't a child but he had some issues. So we have a gust BR that is frequently used by a friend of mine and our step children bring there families in summer time ! But no closet space and no shelving except a small closet in the rooms and shelves I had to buy yet take up the space of all the rooms. We have a family room that I use as a gym but like I said I too am running out of space for my DVD ! I love my collection! I also have trouble figuring out what should go here or there with everything like bills, to I call junk! I hate clutter and like clean lines as well! However I can never achieve it. We are looking to get rid of this place and get a place in the woods and we can build on. But we still owe on this one so not even sure how to do that. But we aren't getting any younger I wish we can find the right place and figure out how to get rid of this one soon!
How do you all that use sleeves see the workouts u are doing? And what do u do with the cases? Throw it away? And what about how do you store them by series or type of workout? Like all step all weights ? I tried that and ran into the ones that was mixed so that didn't work. The series I will forget the fav I have because they are not in with type I am looking for! Ugh see ! No good at organization!
Wish I can hire someone to come in and fix my mess! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renee, the sleeves are see through :) You can see every dvd/title. This is how I organized my dvd's. Click on this link below:

https://www.pinterest.com/fitmama63/how-to-organize-your-workout-dvds/

As far as the cases go, I will get rid off them eventually or at least most of them. I am still going through all my dvd's. If you are crafter, you can use some of the clear cases to store your craft supply? Or use it the case for drawing case when you travel with your kids? You also could use a DVD binder? Sometimes you have to think outside the box? Options are endless :) If the shelving system works for you, then do it. It worked for me for a long time.

Last edited:
I had heard that DVDs can warp and become unplayable if not stored flat. I took my DVDs out of sleeves and binders. I ended up using empty spindles that hold 50 to 100 DVDs. I brought them from work empty. They worked great. I can stack 50 to 100 dvds on each. I have the workouts segregated by type. I have my Cathe DVDs in 2 stacks. The empty cases are stored in the basement.

I'm slowly ripping my unchaptered DVDs and putting the mp4s on a hard disk. It is slow work and I will only do it for unique workouts that are worth having. I'm not ready to give up on my DVDs yet particularly well chaptered ones. I haven't bought many downloads except for Cathe's. I always preorder both. I wish more instructors offered both the same way Cathe does.

Thank you bayerngirl ! That is a good idea
Soapmaker u make a good point about laying them flat! Never thought of that! Thanks
By the way do you make soap? Hints the user name? I have started using organic soaps is why I asked

I had heard that DVDs can warp and become unplayable if not stored flat. I took my DVDs out of sleeves and binders. I ended up using empty spindles that hold 50 to 100 DVDs. I brought them from work empty. They worked great. I can stack 50 to 100 dvds on each. I have the workouts segregated by type. I have my Cathe DVDs in 2 stacks. The empty cases are stored in the basement.

I'm slowly ripping my unchaptered DVDs and putting the mp4s on a hard disk. It is slow work and I will only do it for unique workouts that are worth having. I'm not ready to give up on my DVDs yet particularly well chaptered ones. I haven't bought many downloads except for Cathe's. I always preorder both. I wish more instructors offered both the same way Cathe does.

How do you rip Cathe's dvd's and put the mp4s on a hard disk?

By the way do you make soap? Hints the user name? I have started using organic soaps is why I asked
Yes, I've been making soaps for over 10 years as a hobby/necessity. I give them to family, friends and neighbors. It is really fun. I use a lot of different oils. I use organic oils whenever I can find them. Over the years, you learn which oils your skin likes most. I have different mixes for different people. Mine unfortunately prefers a mix of avocado, macadamia, hazelnut, hemp and flax seed oils. I could never afford it if I didn't make it. Once you use a good quality old fashioned soap, you never go back. Let me how you like the organic soaps.

I recently started making liquid soap also. I've replaced our dishwashing liquid and working on our laundry soap. I wish I had more time. In my dream life, I make soaps and lotion all day long when I'm not working out or playing with dirt in my garden LOL. Probably way more than you wanted to know.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.