How did you start working out?

Thanks Natalie! My DIL tried to go vegan for about 3 months last year. She had great weightloss results but gave up because she got bored. I have been considering going vegan more for health reasons with the weightloss as a bonus. I have a few books on my Kindle Fire so that I will always have info at my fingertips! I am always looking for as much info as I can find, so I will check out the websites! I know this sounds unusual, but I have to tell myself that through the internet, I have alot of vegan foods available. I forget that. Because I work at Walmart, I shop alot there after work. They carry some products, but not enough!!!

Again, I am sooo grateful for your advice!!!

Thank you.
Sharon

The more you learn about cooking this way the more you will realize that you don't need a lot of special or hard-to-find ingredients. In fact, I don't get anything online! I use ground flax seed for eggs, almond milk for dairy milk, and Earth Balance for butter. Those are my only substitutions! I only shop at regular grocery stores (Walmart, Kroger, Safeway, HEB) and the farmer's market. It really is very simple and inexpensive, and with the right cookbooks to get you going, it is anything but boring!! My children and husband are vegan right along with me, and they will tell you that mealtimes are always delicious. :)

I got mugged at gun point.

So, not the motivator that I would recommend! LOL!
At the time, I had a lot of anger and was feeling very helpless. I found strength and confidence again in fitness. It was a way to have control over something in a positive way.

I had started with Tammilee Webb, 3x/week. Eventually, I started doing her videos back to back, since one wasn't enough. From there, my room mate had a TaeBo video, and I stuck with Billy Blanks for years...until someone on his forum was lifting weights with Cathe, and I wanted to try it.
10 yrs later, here I am! :)

After I started TaeBo, I noticed a change in the size of my thighs 2 weeks after I had started. That was enough to keep my going!

@melimcn Oh no....that's horrible. I hope the police caught the person. That would be a very traumatic experience. I am glad that you were able to get past it in a positive way.

@Cleosmom Thanks for the kind words. STS is really an amazing program because through the 1 rep max (1RM) test, it really is customized to each person. I actually like the workouts more than the cardio ones now. The only complaint I have is that my cardio endurance is way down since starting STS. I don't know if this is common or just something to do with me. I do tend to be a bit sleep deprived still (although it's greatly improved now!) so it may be because of that.

You seem to have such an upbeat personality that I am certain you can get back into the swing of exercising. BTW, you might want to join a check-in group here on Cathe....they are definitely good for accountability. The workout manager helps out too. Finally, Cathe will answer questions about training if you ask her here in the forums or on Facebook. I feel that the fact that she does that really sets her apart from the rest!

Originally Posted by TRSTACIE

That was me too...from highschool onward until maybe May of 2002. At that point I decided to get in shape for my wedding (March 2003), literally! Too bad I didn't discover Cathe back then!;) lol

Anyway, I started out with Beachbody's Great Body Garunteed, moved onto one of the Firm's Body Sculpting Systems and it just took off from there! I even walked on the treadmill for 30 mins every day on my honeymoon! When I did that I knew I was hooked!;)

I discovered Cathe in Dec of 2004 while pregnant with my son and I've managed to buy ALMOST every dvd she has available over the years. I didn't keep them all for various reasons but I've pretty much owned them all! :D

As for what motivated me to start-it was my wedding and wanting to look good in my dress. What motivated me to keep going when I got back from the honeymoon? Not sure but I never looked back! Exercise just became a part of my lifestyle and I've truly learned to love it! If I can't work out it affects me negatively so why skip it right? ;)

Hi Wendy! My wedding (#2) was motivation for me too! I was 34. Looking back, I had a really great program going! I want to get back to that but I didn't have the issues then that I have now. When I was exercising regularly, I felt wonderful, mentally and physically!

I admire your commitment on your honeymoon!!

Thanks for your thoughts!
Sharon

The more you learn about cooking this way the more you will realize that you don't need a lot of special or hard-to-find ingredients. In fact, I don't get anything online! I use ground flax seed for eggs, almond milk for dairy milk, and Earth Balance for butter. Those are my only substitutions! I only shop at regular grocery stores (Walmart, Kroger, Safeway, HEB) and the farmer's market. It really is very simple and inexpensive, and with the right cookbooks to get you going, it is anything but boring!! My children and husband are vegan right along with me, and they will tell you that mealtimes are always delicious. :)

Really? You only have three subsitutions? Wow! I do have alot to learn!! I guess I have the same idea of a vegan diet that alot of people have! It just might be easier than I thought!!

My husband would NEVER give up his meat or junk. But I'll keep praying. I didn't think he would ever quit smoking and it's been almost a year!!

Thank you for ALL of your tips and advice!! I welcome more anytime!!
Sharon

I got mugged at gun point.

So, not the motivator that I would recommend! LOL!
At the time, I had a lot of anger and was feeling very helpless. I found strength and confidence again in fitness. It was a way to have control over something in a positive way.

I had started with Tammilee Webb, 3x/week. Eventually, I started doing her videos back to back, since one wasn't enough. From there, my room mate had a TaeBo video, and I stuck with Billy Blanks for years...until someone on his forum was lifting weights with Cathe, and I wanted to try it.
10 yrs later, here I am! :)

After I started TaeBo, I noticed a change in the size of my thighs 2 weeks after I had started. That was enough to keep my going!

Oh my melimcn!!! I'm sorry that happened to you!! I admire that you found your way through a horrible experience using fitness. I think that speaks volumes for the power of fitness!!! And, you are 10 years STRONG and going!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!
Sharon

@melimcn Oh no....that's horrible. I hope the police caught the person. That would be a very traumatic experience. I am glad that you were able to get past it in a positive way.

@Cleosmom Thanks for the kind words. STS is really an amazing program because through the 1 rep max (1RM) test, it really is customized to each person. I actually like the workouts more than the cardio ones now. The only complaint I have is that my cardio endurance is way down since starting STS. I don't know if this is common or just something to do with me. I do tend to be a bit sleep deprived still (although it's greatly improved now!) so it may be because of that.

You seem to have such an upbeat personality that I am certain you can get back into the swing of exercising. BTW, you might want to join a check-in group here on Cathe....they are definitely good for accountability. The workout manager helps out too. Finally, Cathe will answer questions about training if you ask her here in the forums or on Facebook. I feel that the fact that she does that really sets her apart from the rest!

Hi TRSTACIE! I have always been intimidated by check-ins. Silly I know. And I haven't looked into the workout manager. But maybe I will check into both!! I've never considered asking Cathe questions. I don't know why. Maybe it would feel like asking George Clooney out!!! I MUST work on my issues!!!

Again, good luck with STS!! Looking forward to comparing training notes with you!!!
Sharon

When I finally decided to workout for real (aka, not just walk on a treadmill for a couple week then lose interest) I just committed and signed up to work with a trainer for at first 20 sessions, then stayed with him for over a year, took a break, then finished out year 2 with him.

I found for me, my biggest issues were motivation, accountability and consistency. Paying for a trainer filled in all those blanks for me and introduced me to weight lifting. And although I saw him only 2-3 times per week, there was NO way I was going to waste all that money and not do workouts on the other days on my own.

After the two years with my trainer, I finally stumbled on Cathe, and that started the journey of my at home workouts. At the time I had no idea that there were workout dvds that focused on weights and strength, I was truly in awe of her and what she was doing, being able to do gym style weights at home WITH someone to follow was just amazing to me.

I am currently back in the gym again in a 3 time/week fat loss challenge class to mix things up and re-up my motivation, I was nursing a sore back for a while and had really lowered my activity levels, and needed a jolt to get my energy, stamina and motivation back. I continue to do my other workouts at home.

Oh yeah, and in general Weight Watchers has probably been where I have my most weight loss success. I really enjoy the primal/paleo way of eating, and believe in it's health benefits, but for me, I just can't seem to lose weight following it. So I just try to eat as little processed food as possible on WW for portion control, but I have incorporated some grains back into my diet to help feel fuller.

One more thought, find stuff YOU think is fun! As long as you are getting some cardio and some strength benefits, it doesn't matter which workouts you choose, as long as you are doing them, good luck!

I started working out in the 80's with Charlene Prickett on Lifetime TV. From there I moved up to the Original Firm workouts. I tried various other instructors for a short while until I heard about Cathe and her complex choreography stepping, which I love. I purchased 5 videos (3 step and Body Max and Ab Hits) This was in the 90's and have stuck with her ever since. I'll be 60 on my next birthday and sometimes wonder how long I'll be able to keep up with her but until I can't I'm in for the long haul.

When I finally decided to workout for real (aka, not just walk on a treadmill for a couple week then lose interest) I just committed and signed up to work with a trainer for at first 20 sessions, then stayed with him for over a year, took a break, then finished out year 2 with him.

I found for me, my biggest issues were motivation, accountability and consistency. Paying for a trainer filled in all those blanks for me and introduced me to weight lifting. And although I saw him only 2-3 times per week, there was NO way I was going to waste all that money and not do workouts on the other days on my own.

After the two years with my trainer, I finally stumbled on Cathe, and that started the journey of my at home workouts. At the time I had no idea that there were workout dvds that focused on weights and strength, I was truly in awe of her and what she was doing, being able to do gym style weights at home WITH someone to follow was just amazing to me.

I am currently back in the gym again in a 3 time/week fat loss challenge class to mix things up and re-up my motivation, I was nursing a sore back for a while and had really lowered my activity levels, and needed a jolt to get my energy, stamina and motivation back. I continue to do my other workouts at home.

Oh yeah, and in general Weight Watchers has probably been where I have my most weight loss success. I really enjoy the primal/paleo way of eating, and believe in it's health benefits, but for me, I just can't seem to lose weight following it. So I just try to eat as little processed food as possible on WW for portion control, but I have incorporated some grains back into my diet to help feel fuller.

One more thought, find stuff YOU think is fun! As long as you are getting some cardio and some strength benefits, it doesn't matter which workouts you choose, as long as you are doing them, good luck!

Hi Dela! Thanks for sharing! I'm in awe that your go to a gym AND do your workouts at home!! I hope your back is better!

I did WW for awhile, but I got tired of being on a diet! I know I shouldn't think of it as a diet, but I had been doing it since 2003. I'd lost 23# at one point and then I got bored and couldn't lose at all. But I stuck with it because I thought I'd get it together. I was up and down till 2010 and realized I was wasting my money and time, and the time of my WW leader. I know what to do, just can't get it together. My hubby eats anything and is thin so it is hard for me. I am considering a vegan diet.

As for something fun? Hmm. My first thought is dancing around to my favorite bands! I grew up in the 70s so I love ALL things 70s and 80s!! I LOVE music so I could do that!!

Thank you for your thoughts!!
Sharon

I started working out in the 80's with Charlene Prickett on Lifetime TV. From there I moved up to the Original Firm workouts. I tried various other instructors for a short while until I heard about Cathe and her complex choreography stepping, which I love. I purchased 5 videos (3 step and Body Max and Ab Hits) This was in the 90's and have stuck with her ever since. I'll be 60 on my next birthday and sometimes wonder how long I'll be able to keep up with her but until I can't I'm in for the long haul.

Hi myputer! You are my hero and inspiration!!! 60 years young and doing Cathe!!! I KNEW it could be done!!!!

I struggled through The FIRM. The Originals are my favorites, although BSS1 is my favorite of the "newer" sets. But I think Cathe is top notch! I like her style, professionalism, knowledge and the fact that she makes the viewer feel like a friend! (And that every move has the same name in ALL her workouts!!!). I don't feel the need or desire to look elsewhere.

Thank you for making my day!! You ROCK!!!
Sharon

Last edited:
I find myself working more since I started using the Workout Manager. I love logging in my workouts!

I also give myself permission to change DVDs if I'm bored or overwhelmed by the workout that day. Sometimes I'll realize during the warm up that there's another workout I'd rather do at that moment. This is why I don't do rotations as much. I like spontaneity.

I shoot for a solid 30 minutes. I tell myself it's okay to quit after 30 minutes, but most of the time, I do the entire workout and then some.

When I was on a swim team, we learned about F.I.D.: Frequency, Intensity, Duration. Cathe's videos have the Intensity and Duration locked on. It's up to me to bring the Frequency. I shoot for 6x/week but if I fall short, no biggie. 4-5/week is still kickin!

(I'm also lucky enough to have a job where I'm on my feet, rushing around, and shelving books all day at a library.)

Did you start?

@Cleosmom I was thinking about this thread and was wondering if you started working out again. If so, how did it go?

I find myself working more since I started using the Workout Manager. I love logging in my workouts!

I also give myself permission to change DVDs if I'm bored or overwhelmed by the workout that day. Sometimes I'll realize during the warm up that there's another workout I'd rather do at that moment. This is why I don't do rotations as much. I like spontaneity.

I shoot for a solid 30 minutes. I tell myself it's okay to quit after 30 minutes, but most of the time, I do the entire workout and then some.

When I was on a swim team, we learned about F.I.D.: Frequency, Intensity, Duration. Cathe's videos have the Intensity and Duration locked on. It's up to me to bring the Frequency. I shoot for 6x/week but if I fall short, no biggie. 4-5/week is still kickin!

(I'm also lucky enough to have a job where I'm on my feet, rushing around, and shelving books all day at a library.)

Hi stephaniein29! I guess I'll have to check out the workout manager. I can actually feel how much you like to use it!!

I like that you "give yourself permmission". I am always so hard on myself. Looks like I am my own worst enemy. I have learned alot about myself because of all the great people here. I like F.I.D. I've never heard of that before.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Sharon

@Cleosmom I was thinking about this thread and was wondering if you started working out again. If so, how did it go?

Hi TRSTACIE! I actually did the warmup, first step segment and cooldown of Basic Step. I didn't use a step and it was just right. I felt pretty good and wasn't worn out. I am so grateful to you and all the wonderful ladies who offered me advice!!!

So, I raise my glass (of water) and say, "To our health"!!
Sharon

Hi myputer! You are my hero and inspiration!!! 60 years young and doing Cathe!!! I KNEW it could be done!!!!

I struggled through The FIRM. The Originals are my favorites, although BSS1 is my favorite of the "newer" sets. But I think Cathe is top notch! I like her style, professionalism, knowledge and the fact that she makes the viewer feel like a friend! (And that every move has the same name in ALL her workouts!!!). I don't feel the need or desire to look elsewhere.

Thank you for making my day!! You ROCK!!!
Sharon

I began with exercises on tv by "Aerobicise". I moved on to Jane Fonda, and I worked out sporadically at a gym. But the real workouts began when I saw The Firm Volume 1 at Blockbuster and rented it. I bought a tape and did that one over and over for weeks until the Firm 2 and 3 arrived. I got hooked on videos. I got every Firm, and every Cathe.
When I haven't worked out in a while, I do Vol 1, it kicks me right back into working out.

Awesome! Good for you and great job!!!

Thanks! That's been a few days now and I've done nothing since! I am ashamed to admit that. It is quite a struggle for me, but I intend to overcome it! I will fight this battle for the rest of my life.

Sharon

I began with exercises on tv by "Aerobicise". I moved on to Jane Fonda, and I worked out sporadically at a gym. But the real workouts began when I saw The Firm Volume 1 at Blockbuster and rented it. I bought a tape and did that one over and over for weeks until the Firm 2 and 3 arrived. I got hooked on videos. I got every Firm, and every Cathe.
When I haven't worked out in a while, I do Vol 1, it kicks me right back into working out.

I had Jane Fonda's Workout album!! I had some trouble following, so I memorized the warmup and after doing it, I put on music and danced myself silly!! Then I'd do crunches with 3# weights and ALOT of stretching!! (I was in my 20s and thin!!) I discovered the FIRM when I saw the ads in the back of Shape magazine. Then when I received a catalog in the mail from Time Life that had the FIRMs on a monthly shipment plan, I jumped on them!! Then came the internet and I discovered Cathe!

I, too, have every FIRM (well, up to the TransFIRMer series.). I am hoping to own all of Cathe's workouts!

It's great "talking" to you!!!
Sharon

I had Jane Fonda's Workout album!! I had some trouble following, so I memorized the warmup and after doing it, I put on music and danced myself silly!! Then I'd do crunches with 3# weights and ALOT of stretching!! (I was in my 20s and thin!!) I discovered the FIRM when I saw the ads in the back of Shape magazine. Then when I received a catalog in the mail from Time Life that had the FIRMs on a monthly shipment plan, I jumped on them!! Then came the internet and I discovered Cathe!

I, too, have every FIRM (well, up to the TransFIRMer series.). I am hoping to own all of Cathe's workouts!

It's great "talking" to you!!!

Sharon

ha. ha. I still have that VHS, in fact, after I buy them I never get rid of them. So I have accumulated quite a few over the years. I just alternate with new ones. I have every Cathe, every Cia, every Firm prior to BMG productions. At last count it was over 1000, with I'd venture to say almost 800 vhs. But I've been converting them for almost 4 years now into DVD form. Except of course for the Firms. I will be selling my VHS's on Ebay.

I discovered the Firm at Blockbuster, I did that one over and over for weeks every other day, until my vols 2 and 3 arrived, then signed up for everything I could get my hands on by the Firm. I found Cathe on Collagevideo.com

Great talking to you too, :)
Lucia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.