How about when doing squats?

chrisdanko

When doing squats or leg work, is there a difference where I hold my weights? I am more comfortable with them on my shoulders rather than holding by my side

Good question, sometimes I have them on my shoulders, sometimes in the middle (in front of my torso), other times at my sides. Does it matter?

I think comfort must be reason number 1. I prefer a barbell across the shoulders for back squats, and dumbbells in hands at my sides for close feet squats. I cannot balance properly or get a good squat with d'bells on shoulders because they are constantly in need of re-positioning and I can't concentrate like that, so, you really have to choose what works for you personally.

I'm not sure that weights positioning is all that important, but of course, there are many different types of squat (front squat, back squat, goblet squat, hack squat, feet close together squat, plie squat) so doing a range of different styles is beneficial.

Clare

My doctor told me to never put a barbell on my shoulders, so I hold the weights by my side. Today, I did squats with forty pounds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.