Horizontal conditioning with bad wrists?

aveggiegirl

Cathlete
Do you think I should forget about Horizontal Conditioning since I have a bad wrist? I modify things like pushups and downward facing dog by holding onto dumbbells. Even then, my wrist hurts at times. LIS bothers my wrist but I do those workouts anyway because I love them. I would like to try HC because it looks so challenging and so different from anything else I have ever done. However, I don't know if my wrist could handle it. Does the instructor talk about any modifications? I hope so!

Thanks!

Do you think I should forget about Horizontal Conditioning since I have a bad wrist? I modify things like pushups and downward facing dog by holding onto dumbbells. Even then, my wrist hurts at times. LIS bothers my wrist but I do those workouts anyway because I love them. I would like to try HC because it looks so challenging and so different from anything else I have ever done. However, I don't know if my wrist could handle it. Does the instructor talk about any modifications? I hope so!

Thanks!

Other than the modifications you are already making Sandra does not offer any suggestions other than work up to the more difficult exercises over time. Horizontal Conditioning : Horizontal Conditioning

How bad is your wrist? Is it a chronic injury? Or will something like Tiger Paws
help? http://www.amazon.com/DGS-Colored-T...TF8&qid=1340062840&sr=8-1&keywords=tiger+paws

I'm not sure if HC would be for you if you have had an injury and the pain is chronic. It's fine if you have somewhat weak wrists as long as you take breaks to build up the endurance and strength but if there is an actual injury I probably wouldn't get these. HTH!

I really enjoy the Hardcore workouts I've tried, but I limit the frequency I do them because I had a wrist injury a few years ago. I do notice that if I do too many wrist intensive workouts in a row, I feel a little bit of wrist twinge. I personally don't do these more than once or twice a week because of this. So far, I haven't had any issues.

I have Getting Stronger and Bootcamp, and I think you'd be fine with Getting Stronger which has two 20 minute workouts. These are challenging, although doable, and they have unique moves. I use them as add ons. Bootcamp is one of the longest (67 minutes), so it might be the least suitable for you. Volume 2, I believe, is about 50 minutes.

My wrist bothers me whenever I do anything in a plank postion so I bought an ACE wrist bandage. It's about 8-10 inches long and is held on by velco. It only goes around my wrist(nothing around my hand). I didn't really think it would help since it seems so lo-tech, but it helps so much. If I don't wear it and do pushups my wrist hurts the next day. With it, I feel nothing.

Other than the modifications you are already making Sandra does not offer any suggestions other than work up to the more difficult exercises over time. Horizontal Conditioning : Horizontal Conditioning

How bad is your wrist? Is it a chronic injury? Or will something like Tiger Paws
help? Metallic Tiger Paws: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Janis, Cokonkel, Writer, and Dustbunny2,

Thank you all for taking the time to answer me about HC.

I did not have an accident but rather hurt my wrist from overuse. It is actually just the top of the right wrist and the pain extends to about the middle part of of my hand. Honestly, I think I just need to rest my wrist/hand but it seems like so many of the workouts have that prone position -- even just stretching (cat/cow position).

It feels really good to stretch out my fingers wide so I'm thinking of looking up some more hand exercises/stretches to do.

I recently found these

Walmart.com: Stick-E Yoga Knee and Wrist Saver 1 pair: Exercise & Fitness and they do help if I find just the right position. I like how I am able to do Cathe's moving pushups with them because of the velcro strap.

I am also going to check out the Tiger Paws and the ACE bandage. Maybe they will also help.

I have decided to try a few of the HC moves that I see from the youtube clips before getting any of these DVDS. (Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.) HC looks fantastic. I hope I will be able to join in on the fun.

Thanks again for all of your words ladies. Have a great workout today!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.