Hip flexors

mince

I have weak hip flexors (the whole area, very top of outer, inner, and front of legs.) They're basically the weak link in doing a lot of exercises, as well as giving back pain. I have a list of exercises from my doctor for strengthening and reducing tightness, but they're not very challenging or effective.

Any suggestions for videos that put an emphasis on strengthening them? Or what kind of cardio would help. Lean Legs and Abs is a new favorite for me.:) I wonder if yoga is good, too, since balance is a related problem.

I'd love to see a video that focuses on this area. So many people have issues with this (maybe from too much time at a desk?)

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
It may sound a little strange - but many of the core workouts actually strengthen your hip flexors (just try holding boat pose for a while :eek: ). Also the 'barre' excercises are good for strengthening.
As for stretching - yoga is amazing. Quite often it's tight hamstrings which actually make the hip flexors tight in turn.
Hope that's of some use!
Justine

I've just re-read your post - you asked about cardio as well - I think it's difficult to beat Kickboxing to loosen the lower body. All that extension, rather than contraction, seems to ease any tightness in my legs and hips.

I agree with everything Justine said. I've had hip flexor issues myself. They were both weak and tight, which sounds like an odd combination but my chiropractor said it is actually quite common. I keep everything under control with lots of core work (whole core - lower back as well as abs, as tight hip flexors can pull out the lower back if it's not strong), yoga and Pilates. Barre workouts are great too although for me there's a bit of a dread factor there (but I'm always glad when I get up the nerve to do one).

Stebby

Hello,

How about hip thrust executed with a plate on your hips?
Hamstrings rolls in on stability ball?

I suggest you view forms and pointers for hip thrust (x-train).
If at any time you are feeling a discomfort in your lower back, please stop.;)
That means your glutes are not taking on the job! It could also mean your glutes also need strengthening in the process.

HTH:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.