Hiit - Explosives Moves executed with good form

Hi Everyone,

Cathe has posted a question on her FB wall.

Here is the question:

"Ok Cathletes, let's talk HiiT ....two questions:
1) What is your favorite explosive exercise (for example...air jacks)
2) What is your least favorite explosive exercise (for example... burpees )
You can include feedback if you wish but it's not required! Thank you!"

What are your thoughts? ;-)

My number one move is 2 scissors followed by a tuck.
The least i like is one leg burpee. need to practice this move to get my move cleaner.

Now before anyone start speculating, we all benefit from these moves as long as we execute them with good form and as long as we are not performing beyond our abilities ;-)

Hope to hear from everyone,

Kind Regards,

I dislike scissors. I also dislike sprint shooters. I'm just uncomfortable when my legs are separated forward/backward like that.

I don't LOVE any of the moves, lol, but I'll do them. :D

I don't LOVE any of the moves, lol, but I'll do them. :D[/QUOTE]

I hate explosive moves and I just don't do them any more. I haven't seen that it has made a bit of difference in my overall fitness level.

I don't like power turning squats using the step and I also don't like tuck jumps. I think my fav. would be between sprint shooters or pop squats. I actually don't mind any of them with exception to the first 2 stated. I do attempt tuck jumps but I do the power turning squats on the floor not on the step. I have found that the power moves have really increased my leg strength along with lower body weight work. I find the power moves almost seem to make moderate moves easier, not sure if that makes any sense. I try to do Hiit or tabata 2 times a week. Today, I'm going to try to fit in Too The Max.

Kim

I dislike plie jumps where you click your heels together. I cant get enough vertical to click them and I've almost twisted my ankle multiple times.

I don't like hop turns, where you jump and do a 180 degree turn. As I get older my vertigo kicks in too much for those!

Any other move I definitely dont love, but I will do them!

One of my favs that I do as a modification is straddle jumps on and off the step. I feel safer doing jumps this way than directly onto my step in the horizontal position. I always feel I'm going to overshoot the step and slip off!

Great thread! there was a post here I think that had ways to modify all the explosive type moves, burpees, mountain climbers, etc that was really great.

Does anyone remember or maybe have saved the link?

I dislike plie jumps where you click your heels together. I cant get enough vertical to click them and I've almost twisted my ankle multiple times...

Most of Cathe's tuck jumps, air jacks, plié jumps, not so much I don't like but just don't do very well. Like all the side skipping, running, & basketball drill type plyos. Think Drillmax. So much I like about that one.

In P90X there's crescent kicks after some of the plyos, that transition can be tricky, it zaps the strength right out of my legs, must be the combination.

I've never been able to do those rolls in cardio core circuit, where you roll on your back, legs in the air and then roll forward and jump up. I have to sort of scramble up, and then jump. Not great for the timing :eek:

Power scissors kill my legs every time.

Side lateral skates are my favourite, though (ie I find them the easiest :p )

Oh, thanks for posting - I am one of the 3 people on earth that doesn't have Facebook.

DISLIKE - I will do them, but I may throw a curse word around:

*anything where I put my arms and feet or body on the ground then spring up into a jump or pushup. In Cardio Core Circuit there is a roll back move where you stand, squat down, roll onto your back then roll forward and spring up. In another video there is a move where you stand, squat down, put your hands on the ground, kick your legs back while simultaneously doing a straight legged pushup, then kick your legs in and either stand or spring up. Then in another video there is a combo of those two moves - stand, squat down, roll back, roll forward, put hands on ground and kick back into a straight legged pushup. Sorry, I have too much lanky mass to do those pretty.

*hands on disks and drag body forward 4 times into a staggered pushup. Then drag backwards into staggered pushup (again, just too much lanky body mass)

*Jump side to side over the step topper while doing a tuck jump. I just feel like I am going to miss and fall. I use a band instead, but am sure I am missing out on some intensity.

*5 full body sit-ups followed by 5 straight legged pushups. Repeat for 8 times total. I start out ok, but then after about 3 I go to my knees and have been known to then end up in table top position to keep up. (Supercuts?). I notice when I do that move more at the beginning of my workout I am able to finish properly, so maybe it is just the placement.

*Tuck Jumps - AGH! Mine are more like butt kicks.

*"Continuous" running man. Not "regular" running man below. I feel like I am going too fast and will miss the step.

LOVE TO HATE - I don't look forward to them, but I do them with a smile and I get results:

*scissor...scissor...wide tuck
*plyo jacks (continuous - without the little modified "jump jump" between)
*air jacks
*"regular" running man - where there is a little tap between each springing up action.
*BURPEES! I have come to not mind these as much but wouldn't say I "love" them
*180 degrees turn on floor (with weight)

"LOVE" - and I use that word loosely:
*Pop Squats
*plié jacks
*plié squats
*180 degree turns on the step
*hands on step and butt kick side to side over step - fast, without the little one second break.
*air jumps
*lateral skates
*power scissors
*split jumps

I notice my "love" list are all moves I find easier, so I think that is why I love them.

Last edited:
I hate to say I love burpees and jump kicks etc - don't be mad!:eek: It's the less explosive moves like jumping jacks and skipping that I cannot stand and oddly my knees dislike them too when the plyo moves do not bother me - can't figure that out....

FAVORITES:
Pop Squats
Squat Jumps
Power Scissors (they are such great leg shapers, those who hate them should learn to love them)
Box Jumps (not straddle)
Super Sonic or Explosive Running Man (Men)
Apple Pickers
Plyo Jacks
Half Jacks
I also like plyo that incorporates the firewalker band (as in CrossFire)

DISLIKE
Anything where you go to the floor (Burpees, Squat Thrusts, Switch Kicks, etc)
Plyos moves that require too much choreography---keep it simple so you can work it to the max.

Oh, thanks for posting - I am one of the 3 people on earth that doesn't have Facebook.

DISLIKE - I will do them, but I may throw a curse word around:

*anything where I put my arms and feet or body on the ground then spring up into a jump or pushup. Sorry, I have too much lanky mass to do those pretty.

*hands on disks and drag body forward 4 times into a staggered pushup. Then drag backwards into staggered pushup (again, just too much lanky body mass)

"LOVE" - and I use that word loosely:
*Pop Squats
*plié jacks
*plié squats
*180 degree turns on the step
*hands on step and butt kick side to side over step - fast, without the little one second break.
*air jumps
*lateral skates
*power scissors
*split jumps

I agree with Gobias and someone on FB made the same point: there are some moves that are just harder for us taller ladies because we have more ground to cover in the same time as our more petite fellow exercisers. So we struggle, fall behind, achieve a lower count of reps and it just plain does not feel good. The ones listed above are prime examples. Add burpees to the list for the same reason.

Gobias: I admire and agree with your wording loving certain moves in a "loose" fashion!!!

Clare

Favorites:
fast feet shuffle
straddle jumps
lateral skaters
lunge/hammer punch into knee raise

Least Favorites:
the Cardio Core Circuit drop to the floor/roll back/jump up move (or the similar rolling moves in MMA Fusion)
tuck jumps

Last edited:
I love this thread! Now I know I'm not alone!! I dont do facebook either. So here goes.......

Dislike: anything that makes my knees feel like they might snap, examples are tuck jumps in ANY way, shape or form, springing up from the ground after a push up type of thing and anything where I have to jump and click my heels. I also dislike extended time with my palms on the floor because it hurts the wrist after a while.

Likes: just about everything else! Staddle taps, football runs, lateral skates, bunny hops, ski hops, charleston on step with knee up going airborn (cardio leg blast), jacks, plyos, running man etc.

I can give anything my all if I'm not worried about my knees or wrists quitting on me! I did Crossfire this morning and there are some awesome moves in it! Firewalker tabata, disc work etc. Great stuff!

FAVORITES:
Pop Squats
Squat Jumps
Power Scissors (they are such great leg shapers, those who hate them should learn to love them)
Box Jumps (not straddle)
Super Sonic or Explosive Running Man (Men)
Apple Pickers
Plyo Jacks
Half Jacks
I also like plyo that incorporates the firewalker band (as in CrossFire)

DISLIKE
Anything where you go to the floor (Burpees, Squat Thrusts, Switch Kicks, etc)
Plyos moves that require too much choreography---keep it simple so you can work it to the max.

I have loved to hate the highlighted one so much that I can not have enough of them. I want my moves to get cleaner as ever:eek::cool:

Thanks to Cathe for making me realize I was born with leg ready to explode ;-)
Bring on the new goodies lol

Last edited:
Straddle taps always make me feel like I'm going to trip and hit the deck. I don't mind taps when you are parallel to the step but staddling it, no thanks. You have to have good coordination/balance to do the straddle ones, for certain.

Nathalie, I really like plyo scissors, so difficult but they do wonders for your leg definition/strength.

Swimmer - I thought of your words when I did lean and mean legs this morning! I really, really tried on the power scissors ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.