High Step Training vs Bootcamp

Soosan

Cathlete
I read several posts about the new advanced high step workout where people thought HST was harder than BC. I finally got around to doing HST today and thought it was great but quite a bit easier than BC, probably because the cardio was much less intense. I only used a 6-inch step, though, so I'll see what happens next time with an 8-inch.

I used the same weights as Cathe and felt I could go heavier for some exercises, but not for others. I'll have to see how changing the weights on my barbell affects the flow of the workout next time. The only exercises I modified were, as always, push-ups (except for the tricep push-ups off of the high step).

I do think it's a great workout and one I'll reach for often. I don't know how Cathe keeps making one stellar workout after another! I'm sorry she didn't include extra core work, though, as that's a problem area for me and I'm always looking for effective core work.

How would you all compare HST to BC? (I might do a poll in a couple weeks when more people have had a chance to try HST.)

I used an 8 inch step, and normally I use 6. I found HST to be easier than Bootcamp, but also a nice compliment to Bootcamp. I did Bootcamp on Monday last week, HST on Wednesday, and a full body weight work-out on Saturday and felt like it was a good weight week. I am going to lower to 6 on the step because I felt twinges in my right knee for a couple of days afterwards.

I just tried HST also, using an 8 inch step. HST reminds me a lot of Bootcamp but I do think it is easier than Bootcamp. It's still very intense and I think it's a nice compliment to Bootcamp also.

I have only done it once so far and used a 6 inch step. I will probably use an 8 next time. I used the same weights as Cathe and felt I could have went heavier on the squats. I found that the HST was tough, but on a different level than Bootcamp. Bootcamp is a very tough challenging workout!! I am not really a huge fan of circuit workouts, but I did like it and will incorporate in my rotations.

Aila:)

I thought BC was harder then HSTA the first time I completed HSTA. I was able to do all the reps at Cathe's weight the first time I did HSTA which is unusual for me when completing a new Cathe workout for the first time. It was still very challenging to me I'm just trying to give you an idea of how I did the first time compared to how I usually do. Now, I just completed HSTA again and found it much more difficult but I think two factors came into play this morning. I did not eat enough to fuel my workout and I usually workout late afternoon/early evening, but I'm out of school and have a few days off before I start my summer job so I changed workout times and worked out this morning. I will be interested to see what I think on my third try of HSTA. I do like this workout a lot! BC continues to be a huge challenge for me as I tend to get nauseated after those darn squat thrust terminators! :eek:

I did HSTA for the 1st time and I found it to be harder than BC. I think BC is a lot more intense & challenging. What makes HSTA harder, for me, is the combination of the cardio with the muscle endurance training. It's like ME with cardio. Also, I think BC flows better than HSTA and is a lot more fun. The next time I do HSTA, I'll probably do one of the premixes (most likely cardio only or cardio/legs) to get more of a cardio workout instead of a total body circuit. I used an 8" step which was fine until the last cardio with the tap straddles. I'm only 4'10" and I found it hard to get my toes up on the 8" step.

Bottom line, I "love" BC and only "like" HSTA.

-Melanie

I think HST was harder. The BC is intense by the weight work is easier and the triceps are not crying after the first circuit. The Weight Work in HST is outstanding and really get this muscles tone.

Karen:)

I can't wait to try HST now! I have it but have not gotten around to doing it. It sounds very intense.

Did it yesterday and will have another run at it later this week. I previewed 2 cycles and decided to load my bar and press play. I was cruising quite nicely through the workout but didn't see the barbell biceps coming and once Cathe started I started. I don't usually lift 37 lbs for bicep curls. I loved the slow work but I crapped out at the end. I enjoyed the challenge and my biceps were humming quite nicely today, lots of stretching:) I enjoyed HST but found it much more similar to CM and CW than BC. Like you Susan I wish there was more specific core work but I also just got AbHits so I've got no excuses:) (although I'll probably find lots;-)) I'll reserve judgement until I've done it a handful of times and found that flow. I wish I liked the music better. I really, really enjoyed doing the cardio only, 12 minutes of huffing and puffing, love the spike lunge series, too fun and a sure bet for my next round of mish moshes!!!!
Another fantastic addition to my treasured Cathe collection.

Take Care
Laurie

I think the leg cardio premix is harder than bc but bc upper body is harder not balanced but I just rewind to even things out.I do bc upper 2 times thru with no rest between exercise ouch is all I can say about that.I did it this morning it is very humbling.I did hst upper last week and still on the fence about it.But it does remind me of bc and bc is my favorite of the two.But I find the cardio with leg premix of hst very hard compared to bc premix.I might think the cardio isn't that tough if I did the whole wo as is.

I really like HST but dont think its as hard or advanced as bootcamp. Will anything ever live up to bootcamp? Perhaps bootcamp 2? Oh the joy that that! Whenver i want to lose weight, or really give it my all, bootcamp is what i reach for. I like HST but it isn't that hard and i really Cathe should have included core at the end. A bonus segment if you will.

W x

I think Bootcamp is more difficult too, particularly the cardio. I did HST on an 8 inch step, tacking it on to Step and Intervals and it's a tough workout but my eyeballs failed to shoot out of my head and that indicates an easier than Bootcamp workout since Bootcamp always send the suckers flying.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

> but my eyeballs failed
>to shoot out of my head and that indicates an easier than
>Bootcamp workout since Bootcamp always send the suckers
>flying.

I dont get it.

Bobbi's joking about the difficulty of Bootcamp. BC is SO hard that Bobbi's eyeballs fly out of her head whenever she does it. This didn't happen with HSTA, so she concluded HSTA must be easier.:)

Yep. It's the squat thrust climbers which apparently cause A-Jock to bleed from the eyeballs but have a slightly different effect on me. It's interesting because I have Bootcamp on the agenda for tomorrow. Invariably, Susan will bring Bootcamp up in a thread and I'll realize I haven't experienced it's sweet torture in awhile and I'll schedule it to make certain that I am still a lean, mean workout machine even if it means having to search for my eyeballs. A small price to pay when the rewards are so great. I consider it the mother of all workouts.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

I love the new HST video. Maybe because it is new and I was getting bored, but the time just flies when I do it. The leg work is awesome. The first time I did it I added the bootcamp "cardio only" premix to the end of the workout. The second time I did it I ran through each HST cardio twice. I got a great workout each time.Right now this is my favorite tape!!

Lynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.