High Step in ME

mtnmom99

Cathlete
Hi All,

I just previewed my copy of ME last night and can't wait to do it. It looks tough! But I noticed that Cathe and the others had SIX risers on their high step. That makes it a total of 16 inches tall! I've read that Cathe is on the petite side (5'2") like me. But there is no way I'd ever be doing all those leg presses on a 16" tall platform. I was wondering how high of a step you all use?

Diane

I have noticed this also. I find that 14 inches is PLENTY for me and I even use 12 inches sometimes (love the versatility of the High Step!).

I'm also 5'2" and use a 12 inch step. Otherwise the leg presses bother my knees.

Carol
:)

I only use 3 risers and the step. so that is what umm, 10" :)
I have old injuries/surgeries in knee and ankle and anything higher is painful, so I use a 12 or 15# dumbbell to make up for it.
Traci'

Do you think a heavier weight really makes up for the difference in step height? That's been my thinking, too. I hope we're right. I'm tall, but I use a 12" step with a 25# dumbbell. That 14" - 16" step height is just too much for me for any length of time.

Shari

I just follow Cathe and use 16". I just assumed that Cathe was varying the height of the step to mix things up and "recruit more muscle fibers" or whatever it is. I would recommend at least trying it. I love the leg results I've been getting from this workout!

Note: I still can't do the whole workout in one session though. I divide it up into two days. The first day ends at the end of the second set of leg presses. The second day I start with the lunges. So, the first day my legs get two sets of leg presses, and the second day my legs get all the lunges and the third set of leg presses. I find I can put a lot more into it this way.

I like to vary the step heights and weights I'm using. Sometimes I'll do a higher step with less weight and other times I'll use the lower height with heavier weight. Each way feels different and challenging.

I remember Cathe addressing this a while back - she said she likes to use different step heights to mix things up, but she didn't mention changing the weights used.

Erica

I'm a bit over 5'7" and go back and forth between 14" and 16" on step height, depending on how fast the reps are (and they are FAST in ME), how strong I feel, and what weight I'm using. Cathe must be pretty leggy for her height because her knee isn't bent past 90 degrees with a 16" step - at 16" (and five inches taller), I'm at exactly 90 degrees.

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.